Election 1940: Willkie Tours Ohio, Address Due on Relief (10-16-40)

The Pittsburgh Press (October 16, 1940)

WILLKIE TOURS OHIO, ADDRESS DUE ON RELIEF

Promises Higher Standard Of Living, Asks Stand Of Roosevelt

By William H. Lawrence, United Press Staff Writer

Aboard Willkie Train, En Route to Cincinnati, Oct. 16 –

Wendell L. Willkie, campaigning through the heart of Ohio on his second trip to this state in two weeks, promised today that, if elected, he would bring about an “expanding economy with a constantly rising standard of living for those who work.”

On his way to Cincinnati for a major speech on relief tonight, the Republican presidential candidate stopped first at Mansfield, in Ohio’s rich agricultural area, for an address from the rear platform of his train.

Mr. Willkie’s Cincinnati speech will be broadcast by the National Broadcasting Co., and will be carried in Pittsburgh by KDKA at 8:30 p.m.

Mr. Willkie told a Mansfield crowd estimated at 5,000:

I want to guarantee absolutely all the social gains workers have won, but I want to do much more. I want to bring about an economy where wages will constantly rise.

Wants Roosevelt’s Stand, Refers to Harding

When his train stopped in Marion, Ohio, Mr. Willkie remarked to a crowd of 7,000 that he was in the home of Republican President Warren G. Harding.

Willkie said to the crowd gathered outside his train:

So, in this city, the home of a former President, join me, join these other Republican candidates in a triple program.

This program, he said, is:

• Revitalizing our domestic economy so there will be jobs for all.

• Building an impregnable defense so we will not become involved in war with anyone.

• Join me in a co-operate effort with everyone so that we will have unity in America and no discord.

Calling on the people, particularly supporters of President Roosevelt, to require Mr. Roosevelt to define his program, what his principles and what his policies will be if he is re-elected, Mr. Willkie left New York State last night, and headed into Ohio where he has stops scheduled all the way across the state before he arrives at Cincinnati about an hour before his address tonight.

Before an audience of approximately 20,000 in Buffalo’s Municipal Auditorium last night, Mr. Willkie charged that Mr. Roosevelt was maintaining silence in an effort to be re-elected “without any understanding with the American people of any kind, so that he, in his infinite wisdom, may determine what is best for America.”

2 Likes