Election 1940: BPW Club To Put On Drive For Women Voters (10-1-40)

Reading Eagle (October 1, 1940)

THE WOMAN’S PAGE

Untitled

B.P.W. CLUB TO PUT ON DRIVE FOR WOMEN VOTERS

National Business Women’s Week Starts Sunday, October 6

Dr. Minnie L. Maffett, president of the National Federation of Women’s Clubs, has issued an inspiring message to 73,000 members of the organization, stating as follows:

Roll up your sleeves and get to work.

Starting Sunday, National Business Women’s Week will be opened with the slogan “Business Women in a Democracy – Vote.”

The Reading Club will spare no effort between now and the November elections to bring out every woman voter in the community.

Final plans for the week were discussed by members of the Reading Club’s executive board, at a meeting conducted by the president, Miss Josephine Moyer, in the Berkshire Hotel last night.

Special window displays and posters will be in a dozen of the city’s leading stores, and a skit, entitled “Tuning Up Democracy” will be presented in a radio broadcast Wednesday afternoon, October 9. Participants in the skit will be Miss Anna Rapp, Miss Erma B. Zell and Mrs. May Dillon Snyder.

The week’s observance will be opened with a church service, Sunday evening at 7:30, in St. Paul’s Reformed Church, when the pastor, the Rev. Scott Brenner, will speak. All the club members will meet in the Sunday school room a few minutes before the service begins.

Speaker at a meeting on Monday night will be Dr. Lyda Mae Degener, state president of the organization. The program that night also will emphasize the week’s slogan.

Members of the club’s publicity committee are arranging plans for the week’s program. Headed by Mrs. May Dillon Snyder, they are Miss Anna A. Rapp, Miss Grace M. Frame, Miss Martha Davis, Miss Helen Rhoads and Mrs. Esther Wilson.

Theme of Week

Theme of the week, “Women in the Role of Voters,” has received the recognition of President Roosevelt, who expressed his interest in the choice of subject, in a letter to Dr. Maffett. The letter reads:

It is with real pleasure that I send my warm greetings to the members of your organization in connection with National Business Women’s Week.

International events of the past year have moved our thinking and action into lines best aimed to promote our national defense. Along with this has come, I am sure, a deeper realization on the part of all Americans of their responsibilities during these trying times. All of us are making sacrifices to promote a national defense that will insure the utmost protection for the democratic way of life.

Surely no other responsibility of an American citizen in our democracy is greater than that of choosing our government officials. For that reason, I am delighted that the theme for National Business Women’s Week revolves around women in the role of voters. May I wish you success with your undertaking.

2 Likes