Eleanor Roosevelt – My Day (Jan. 1940)

January 24, 1940

Washington, Tuesday –
Two interesting young English people came to see me yesterday afternoon. They started out with $250 each and plan to travel around the world, earning their way as they travelled. The war made them give up their plan of encircling the globe, but they have covered 35,000 miles and seen more of this country than a great many of us have.

At the outbreak of the war, they went at once to Canada and volunteered their services, but they are not needed yet, so they are back in Washington seeing a little more. Charming and attractive, they are successful because of their faith in their own ability to swing a plan which to some of us might have seemed impossible of achievement.

Last night, the Newspaper Women’s Club held their annual benefit for the Children’s Hospital and took over Keith’s Theatre for the first showing of the movie Abe Lincoln In Illinois. Mr. Massey, Miss Gordon, Miss Howard and Mr. Cromwell appeared on the stage at the close of the performance. The house was packed and I think everybody appreciated that it is a most successful and artistic production.

To some of us, however, it is more than that. I feel it is a very moving reminder of the principles which a great man, who did not want to fight, finally found he could only preserve by fighting. There comes a time, as Lincoln’s life illustrates, when one must stand up and be counted for the things one in which one believes. It happens sooner or later to almost every human being.

I reached the theatre last tonight to find it picketed by the colored people who are barred from all District of Columbia theatres except their own. I have been in many theatres in the deep South where colored people are admitted, even though segregated. It seemed to me particularly ironic that in the nation’s capital, there should be a ruling which would prevent this race from seeing this picture in the same theatre with white people.

It may not have been quite fair or wise to picket this particular show, because the house had been taken over by an organization for a charity and the organization had a right to sell its tickets to whomever it wished. As the evening progressed, however, I could not forget the banners outside, partly because I have a deep-rooted dislike of crossing picket lines. Though this was not a strike where any question of unfair labor conditions was involved, still I could not help feeling that there was another question here of unjust discrimination, and it made me unhappy. This occurrence in the nation’s capital was but a symbol of the fact that Lincoln’s plea for equality of citizenship and for freedom, has never been quite accepted in our nation.

May we not, if we limit the freedoms of people because of race, or religion or color, someday find that our own freedom is limited too? Not in the way that the Constitution limits it for us all, but in other arbitrary and sinister ways? There are basic rights, it seems to me, which belong to every citizen of the United States and my conception of them is not a rule in the nation’s capital which bars people freed from slavery from seeing in a public place one of the greatest dramatic presentations of that story.

January 25, 1940

Washington, Wednesday –
There are so many things being done for the Finnish Relief Fund these days that, sympathetic as I am to their cause, I still feel that we should not forget the innumerable other people throughout the world who are also suffering. I realize that another element besides relief for civilians enters into the help that is given Finland, but even from that point of view, we must not forget other nations which are in need, or which still have a chance to strike a blow for their own freedom.

I wish that the requests and letters that I get telling me of various activities for the Finns could be duplicated by requests and letters about things being done for other countries. That is why I have wanted a coordination of all this relief work, so there would be a balance in the distribution of funds, no duplication of work and no unnecessary overhead. However, I am glad to tell you of every effort which is being made to help the oppressed or the suffering.

I have just heard that there is an exhibition going on at the Gotham Hotel branch of the Grand Central Art Galleries, 55th Street and 5th Avenue, New York City, which is open daily from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and on Sundays from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. 160 top-ranking American artists have contributed paintings and watercolors and there is an additional interest in the fact that blind auctions are held at intervals so that some of the paintings may be bought during the exhibition.

I want also to tell you of a letter which I have just received and which is, of course, the product of someone’s sense of humor, plus possibly a little too much idle time! From Los Angeles, California, the letter comes purporting to be from a young communist organization, which informs me that they are naming their branch for me and which gives me undeserved praise for doing things which I have not done! I appreciate the joke, but since my correspondent gave me no address, I must use this way of telling him that this is perhaps too serious a matter for joking. They cannot use names without permission and, in addition, I am now and always will be opposed to the communist form of government.

I uphold the right of those who believe in it to express their own ideas, and I know that the theory of communism may be of help in certain instances, but we, in this country, are beyond that stage. We are interested in a true democracy and we work for the ultimate development of a way of life in our country which will make it possible for every individual to fulfill his responsibility as a citizen in a democracy.

We have again the most beautiful snowstorm and I have word that even in Texas, for the first time in many years, some sections have had as much as four inches of snow, so that schools have been closed in order that the children might enjoy this rare phenomenon. I can only hope that they found tin trays enough to use as sleds.

January 26, 1940

Washington, Thursday –
I lunched yesterday with Mrs. Henry Morgenthau Jr., the wife of the Secretary of the Treasury. There is always an element of surprise about her lunch table. Every year she manages to have some new central theme for decoration and for entertainment. Last year she had a model of the White House garden in the center of the table and dolls representing various White House ladies in authentic costumes. Guests made little speeches for the dolls about their days in the White House and the relationship of their activities to life today.

Yesterday, in the center of the table, was a huge goldfish bowl with several variegated and fascinating goldfish swimming around in it. In front of each of the guests was a miniature bowl with one lonely fish who was, however, most active. Mrs. Morgenthau had written verses to me on the theme of my old complaint that life in the White House was somewhat like the life of a goldfish and she pointed out that in a lesser degree, some of the women present lived in a goldfish bowl of their own. It may be good for us all to have this experience and it has one advantage – if you have any interests you can gain a wider audience for those interests while the goldfish bowl is yours!

In the afternoon, the ladies attending the Cause and Cure of War conference came to tea. Mrs. Leach, Miss Thompson and I went from here to their banquet in the evening. Mrs. Carrie Chapman Catt told a story in her own inimitable way. She said it had a moral but I think it had several morals. Dr. Nielsen also spoke with courage and conviction. Though I did not agree with all of his observations, one must applaud and admire the people who take the trouble to think through what they believe and are not afraid to tell others how they feel.

After the banquet, we stopped in at the Mayflower Hotel to see the magnificent birthday cake made for the President by the Bakery and Confectionery Workers International Union, and to greet some of the members of the labor division of the Committee for the Celebration of the President’s Birthday.

I am lunching today with the Council of Southern Women, where two of the members of the Council of Young Southerners are coming to talk over their part in the citizenship institute being held here by the American Youth Congress from the 9th through the 12th of February. If the preparations for this institute are as carefully made as now seems probable, I think it will serve as a most useful medium for youth to get in touch with its government and become acquainted with the problems and thinking of youth.

More and more, as I listen to young people talk, I realize the important part played by the public schools in our country. They should have the interest and support in every community of all citizens in order to make it possible for the teachers to accomplish the maximum of good, particularly along the lines of training for future citizenship. We have done so much to improve the structures in which our children are taught, but because it requires more constant effort on our part to know about the people and the curricula in our schools, we often neglect that most important side of education. Often a great part of the community has no touch with its public schools and this makes the task of the public school teacher doubly hard.

January 27, 1940

Washington, DC –
I have just returned from a little jaunt out into the snowy wilds of the District of Columbia. Because of a letter which I received, I decided to pay a visit to the home for the aged and indigent people run by the District of Columbia in Blue Plains. I took some flowers and cigarettes with me. Mrs. Morgenthau, another friend and I started off with no idea that we were going to find ourselves stuck in the snow, but that is what happened to us! We got out and walked, leaving the car in a position from which we could return to the streets of Washington.

Following a partially cleared road, we reached a door in a brick building which opened directly into a long corridor where many old colored women were congregated. We went in, and after some wandering around, gazed on one side into what I suppose would be called the diet kitchen, if one could consider anything in this institution exactly in that category. Across the corridor in a closet where various utensils were stored, we finally found a woman who seemed to be an employee and asked her how to find the office of the institution. She directed us and we sallied forth on the opposite side of the building, glad to breathe fresh air again and remarking that at least the old people were warm, and I think we could add, clean.

The superintendent greeted us very kindly and took us through the institution. More than 60% of the inmates are colored people. What he kept emphasizing was that, of course, they received only people who had no one to care for them and who were either completely destitute and old, or being fairly young, were rendered through some kind of illness incapable of taking care of themselves, either temporarily or permanently.

The institution has a farm, so that one would expect on 63¢ a day per person the food might be fairly good, but it looked unappetizing and was set out and getting cold long before the people entered the dining room. The plant is so old and so utterly inadequate, and the personnel so overburdened with work because of the overcrowding of the institution, that I think anyone visiting it must leave with an aching heart. It is true that many of the people may have lived under more painful circumstances in the past, but in comparison with what smaller nations, such as Denmark, Belgium and Sweden, do for their indigent old people, you cringe with shame for the standards which are accepted in our country.

It seems to me that the subcommittee of the Appropriations Committee in Congress might well visit this institution. In addition, the women’s clubs of Washington could make a tremendous difference in the lives of both the attendants and the inmates of the institution if they took an active interest.

I think the thing which made the deepest impression on me was the lack of segregation where the senile old were concerned. It was most striking to find an old woman, said to be nearly a hundred years old and considered an example of happiness, sitting on the edge of her bed, laughing in a somewhat eerie fashion when addressed by the doctor, while on the bed next to her sat a young woman, sent from Gallinger Hospital to convalesce. Friendless and penniless, where will she go when she is pronounced well?

No, it was not a cheerful morning.

1 Like

January 29, 1940

Washington, DC –
I forgot to tell you that we all went to the horse show at Fort Myer on Thursday night, which was given for the benefit of the Infantile Paralysis Fund. I was disappointed not to see Mr. Gene Autry ride. He had appeared the night before and, I am sure, to the joy of everybody present, judging from my own disappointment when he did not appear on Thursday night. Perhaps I had an extra reason for wanting to see him, for he rode one of our horses, a Palomino, given to John some years ago in New Mexico.

Friday afternoon, we had a musicale at the White House and Mrs. Dorothy Kemp Roosevelt and Mrs. Loraine McDonald, of Detroit, played a delightful program on two pianos. Miss Nemone Balfour, soprano, accompanied by Mr. Walter Robert, sang a group of German and Scotch songs. Both were well received, but, since we understand English better, we knew more of the old Scotch and English songs, so I thought those were a little more popular and evoked warmer applause.

Having in my house, my little niece, Janet Roosevelt, has made me swim every night, for she is evidently fond of all kinds of sports and does them well. I only hope that after she leaves us I shall keep up the good habit, because it is the only exercise I have been getting, since riding has not been possible.

Yesterday afternoon, I had a tea for the people attending the National Housing Conference. I was extremely interested in this connection to be given an advance copy of the Survey Graphic, which centers around the “home” this month, and is an extremely good number.

While we are on magazines, I hope a great many people will read an article on our insane asylums called “The Living Death” by Joseph Harrington in the current Cosmopolitan. I have a personal interest in it, because one of my columns inspired the editors to investigate, and this article was then written. Mr. Harrington has certainly found many things that we citizens should know.

I wonder how many of you have listened over the radio to the program Art For Your Sake. The broadcasts tell about the lives of the painters and their masterpieces. I can think of no more delightful way of taking an art appreciation course, or of supplementing one given in school.

I hate to read in the newspapers that the war in Europe is not really a war at present, but that when spring comes we are going to see what horrors each nation can bring to the other. Spring, which is the time of rebirth and beauty, should never be used to bring death and destruction to human beings. Is there no way to make people realize that a restoration of freedom in Europe might bring about the cooperation of other nations, thus making the world economic situation a sensibly planned picture instead of the crazy quilt it has been for the last few years.

January 30, 1940

Washington, Monday –
There seems to be so much confusion in the minds of my correspondents about the two student youth organizations, both of which are affiliated with the American Youth Congress, that I am inclined to clarify some of the differences between them in this column. Some older people seem to think that there is but one student organization, whereas there are two national ones and many more local ones, I imagine. The two big ones are the National Student Federation of the United States of America, and the American Student Union. Their membership and programs differ, so I give them below:

The National Student Federation is composed of student councils of member colleges which send representatives, while the American Student Union is composed of individual members. The National Student Federation, in its meeting, had a program which dealt mainly with local problems of campus government, though they also discussed national policy, approved the NYA, the American Youth Commission report, etc. Their peace discussion was only one out of eighteen discussion sessions at their meeting. The American Student Union, on the contrary, centered their whole discussion at their meeting on questions related to peace and the United States foreign and domestic policy.

The main differences that emerged in resolutions passed are, that the National Student Federation opposes United States participation in any foreign war, while the American Student Union opposed participation in the present war because it is an “imperialistic” war caused by aggression and appeasement in the hope of launching “a war against the Soviet Union.”

The National Student Federation wishes no war loans granted to any nation engaged in armed conflict, warns against efforts to whip up war hysteria, condemns all acts of aggression and violations of territorial integrity and proposes the United States call a conference of neutrals to start peace negotiation. The American Student Union on the contrary, opposes loans to Finland, sale of planes to Finland, agrees that no loans should be made to any European belligerents, desires an embargo on war materials to Japan, but is willing to give immediate credits and loans to China. It warns against war hysteria, specifically pro-Ally, opposes a moral embargo on the Soviet Union, condemns German aggression, Japanese aggression, British imperialism and, by inference, includes Franco, makes no proposals as to the role of the United States in world citizenship, and finally rejects an amendment to condemn Russian aggression.

While I think the stand of both groups shows a lack of comprehensive knowledge of the entire situation and is on the whole unimportant, it is valuable to have the interest of youth and important that they should discuss and gain greater knowledge.

I attended Mrs. Townsend’s concert this morning and enjoyed the three artists very much. Mr. Emile Baume, the pianist, played very beautiful selections, and Mr. John Seagle and Miss Suzanne Sten, of the Prague Opera, delighted everybody with their songs, especially their duets.

January 31, 1940

Washington, Tuesday –
I had no space to tell you that on Sunday night we went to see a performance of Life With Father, which was donated by the management and the cast to the Birthday Ball Celebration Fund. I knew that the President would greatly enjoy this play. While he no longer rocks with laughter as some of the younger people do, he appreciated all the fine points. When the cast came to supper with us after the performance, he told them how much he had enjoyed it.

The youngest member of the cast proved an ardent student of American history and demanded that I explain how Dolley Madison had cut the portrait of George Washington out of its frame when the British burned the White House. Stage children always seem to me precocious and more interested in intellectual things than the average child. I suppose their teaching is more individualized and they have more time to spend on play.

Someone asked me the other day if I would please give, in my column, the recipe for yams baked in oranges which we had for lunch. Since it is quite simple and I think many people may enjoy it, I give it here below, though if you want to look it up for yourself, it was contributed by Mrs. S. R. Ombres and can be found in her cookbook Katch’s Kitchen.

Cut the top off six navel oranges and with a spoon scrape out all the pulp. Wash six sweet potatoes and boil in salt water until soft. Drain and peel them. Mash them well with a potato masher, add three to five tablespoons of cream and two tablespoons of butter, a little grated orange peel (orange part only) salt to taste, a little orange juice and two tablespoons of sugar and beat until fluffy. Fill the oranges with this and bake until lightly browned on top.

Mr. and Mrs. David Gray reached us yesterday afternoon and their description of driving up from the sunny South sounds anything but pleasant. The roads were snowy and icy. They found themselves marooned in a snowbank and, when they got out, proceeded with great caution, counting at least twelve trucks overturned by the wayside and others marooned in snowbanks. I was glad to have them safely here, but feel a little sorry for the people who are searching for warmth in Florida at the present time, for they tell me it was extremely chilly there.

This is a quiet morning for me, but the house is all agog, for at noon today a galaxy of movie stars will come for luncheon and beforehand there must be photographs and movies taken. For the first time, the President is going to lunch with us, which is a compliment to these young entertainers, for except on a Saturday or a Sunday, I have never before been able to lure him to luncheon, even on his birthday.