Eleanor Roosevelt – My Day (April 1941)

April 24, 1941

Las Vegas, NM, Wednesday –
We are on the train en route to Los Angeles. We awoke this morning to find ourselves some 7,000 feet up in the mountains, where the state of Colorado and the state of New Mexico join. A driving rainstorm, at times turning into snow, has been with us all day and in places really deep snow lies on the ground. Now we are looking at miles of prairie powdered with snow and have passed many, many cattle and sheep; none of them looking too happy at this last burst of winter.

The houses are so far apart in this part of our country, one can not help but think that it requires a different quality to live and to be happy where so much of the time must be spent alone. Even the immediate family of a woman must leave her many lonely hours, for they go to work or to school. The man who earns a living out here must spend much time alone. Even the youngsters must have occasions when they know what it is like to see no other human being anywhere in sight.

It must be hard sometimes, and yet I think it must give one a sense of self-reliance. Perhaps the nearness to the soil and the great outdoors puts iron into their souls.

I read the American Red Cross report yesterday on war relief, and I think we can be proud of the record that the help made available by and through the Red Cross up to March 1, totaled in value $22,981,942.00. I was glad to note that relief to Finland had increased last month, but I was extremely sorry to note in the papers, that a shipload of Red Cross supplies bound for Greece had come to grief on its voyage. Somehow, one feels that no Red Cross supplies should be war casualties.

I read too, a little pamphlet issued by the American Association for Adult Education, called “Women In Defense.” It is designed for use by discussion groups and seems to me excellent.

There is a new quarterly magazine called The Land, published by “Friends of the Land,” which should be on everybody’s table. It is a magazine which hopes to make us all conservation conscious, because people go down and come up with their land, and ours needs to be conserved.

Finally, I read a pamphlet called “Britain Under Fire.” It is a collection of articles written by John Cowles, President of the Minneapolis Star Journal. I have read some before, but gathered together in this way, they make impressive reading. One of them in particular interested me. It is called “What Will The Peace Terms Be?” I think these two paragraphs are worth much thought on our part:

English trade unions and labor party leaders, who are cooperating completely with the Churchill government, have as one of their basic aims the reestablishment of strong, free trades unions in Germany as a bulwark against future militarism.

To attain this end, they say Britain must help build a sound and thriving national economy in post-war Germany.

April 25, 1941

Los Angeles, Thursday –
The transition from the more or less mountainous and arid land of northern New Mexico and the dry desert land, to the land of the flowers, is always rather breathtaking. Southern California, where there is water, is a paradise of gardens. That is what greeted our eyes this morning.

Our train journey is nearly over and we shall soon be in Los Angeles. I have used this trip to go through many things which have been in my briefcase for future mention when there was space in my column, and I am horrified to find how many should have been mentioned long ago.

One, for instance, is a comic magazine, which everyone of us with youngsters who like to read the comics, should hail with joy. It is called True Comics and is published by the Parents Institute. Its quality is assured by the fact that Mr. George J. Hecht is the president and publisher, while the editor is Mr. David Marke. But your children will be most interested in the junior advisory editors; Janet Cantor, Gloria Jean, Mickey Rooney, Shirley Temple and Virginia Weidler ought to be able to to help make this a really good comic magazine.

Here we are in the midst of “Be Kind to Animals Week” and I always like to remind my readers of it. This year there is a special reason for mentioning it, because April 22 marked the 75th anniversary of the first meeting in New York City of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

I was amused to find that among the charter members and the incorporators of the Society; were two of my ancestors, James J. Roosevelt and C. V. S. Roosevelt, who met and elected Henry Bergh as the first president. This society has done valiant work through the years to make us all more conscious of our debt to dumb animals. I hope it will continue to remind every new generation of its responsibility toward creatures, who give them so much and ask so little.

Some time ago I read an editorial about a fund established in 1919 in England called “The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund.” This fund exists for the relief of distress among all ranks of the Royal Air Force, past and present, and their dependents. There is an American Committee which is a branch of the original British Committee, known as the Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund of the USA, Inc, with offices in New York City. I hope this committee will receive our support and that something of the same kind will be done for our own airmen.

April 26, 1941

Los Angeles, Friday –
On arriving at the station in Los Angeles yesterday, we found a taxi awaiting us right next to the train and, therefore, left in record time. About five minutes after we reached the hotel, Mrs. Maurice Benjamin and my new daughter-in-law arrived breathless, having waited at the entrance of the station only to be told, after everyone had left the train, that we had departed another way.

The four of us sat down to a very light lunch and then went off to keep some engagement. While we tidied up after the long train trip, Miss Thompson sorted out some of the mail which reached us here. When I am away, I find that letters from family or friends mean a great deal and I grasp them very hurriedly and read them over and over again, thinking that in some way they bring people nearer.

I found a message saying that Washington was calling me on the telephone and my heart sank. But in a few minutes my husband’s calm and reassuring voice announced that he was just calling me to have a little conversation.

I read another little book on the way, in which I think many people will be interested. It is called Let No Wave Engulf Us, and is written by Mr. Frank Altschul, who is a well known New York banker. The last paragraph fairly epitomizes his feeling:

Once this nightmare of tyrannies has been definitely banished, great creative forces will again be unleashed. The world is ten years behind schedule. It is eager to make up for lost time, men and women everywhere look to us to provide this opportunity. If the spirit of America is still responsive to our great traditions, it is inconceivable that we should disappoint them.

He faces certain facts that are not pleasant to some of our more privileged friends and he makes some definite suggestions which make this book a helpful contribution.

At 6:30, Mr. and Mrs. Archibald Young called for Miss Thompson, Mrs. James Roosevelt and me, and we drove to Claremont for the evening lecture. After the lecture, we went to President and Mrs. Story’s house for a short reception and reached the Ambassador Hotel again by midnight.

During the question period, lasting several minutes, a few people asked about the Negro situation here. Mrs. Jerome McNair told me afterwards, that their position here has been extremely difficult. A campaign is on now to try to raise money for a new YWCA building, which will be a suitable housing and social center for the Negro girls and women in Los Angeles. This seems to be an excellent project, but the real difficulty here seems to be a feeling on the part of the Negro people that they are discriminated against in obtaining employment in defense industries.

This morning I paid my usual visit to Olvera Street and enjoyed the friendly, smiling faces and picking up a few things to send to friends.

April 28, 1941

Los Angeles, Calif., Sunday –
The flight up to San Francisco on Friday afternoon was very smooth and pleasant. One of the things I look forward to most is a view over the bay from the window of the Mark Hopkins Hotel. I think they know how much I enjoy it, because I am always given a room from which I can see the water.

The Democratic State Vice Chairman, Mrs. Porter, and her assistant, Miss Bauer, came to see me, and I enjoyed my chat with them very much. After the lecture in the evening, Mr. Paul Posz took us to Judge and Mrs. William Denman’s house. I had the pleasure of meeting the various South and Central American consuls with their wives, and the Chinese Consul and his wife. It was a very pleasant party and it was a real surprise to me to find that it was near 1:00 when we left.

Saturday morning, we visited Mayris Chaney’s hat shop and bought a hat or two, which has become a habit when we come to San Francisco. Then we went to Chinatown to do a little shopping and stop at the committee headquarters to buy a ticket for the rice festival.

This festival must be extremely colorful and interesting. The proceeds this year will be given to Chinese orphans and refugees. Two charming girls sold me my pin, and I lost my heart completely to a little five-year-old, who looked very dignified and charming in her long Chinese gown.

Later I visited a Chilean cargo ship, which was manned by their Navy. On it some 32 Chilean ensigns are getting their first naval experience. It was interesting to find two young men named Delano among the ensigns. The Delanos in this country have some relationship to them I think, at least my husband always claims it.

Some friends lunched with me and then, before we knew it, we were on our afternoon plane headed for Los Angeles. Just before 7:00, we reached the Melvyn Douglas home. I found Mrs. Douglas busy with twenty Democratic women discussing their work, so I had an opportunity for a short chat with them also.

The view from this house is beautiful at all times. Last night, the dark hills on either side framed the many colored lights of the city far below. This morning, what fascinated me was the swimming pool, practically outside my bedroom door. The patio is closed in by a steep mountainside covered with shrubs and flowers, and makes me feel completely cut off from the rest of the world.

It isn’t just the beauty of the surroundings which makes it wonderful to be in this house. There is an atmosphere which only the human spirit can create. The baby, a sweet little fair-haired girl, handed me a bunch of flowers with grace. Everyone seems friendly, because the two people who make this home are great people.

April 29, 1941

Los Angeles, Monday –
Yesterday we listened in a pleasant living room to Mr. Winston Churchill speak, so many thousand miles away. One must admire a man who can trust the people of his country so completely that he can tell them stark naked, cruel truths unafraid. That quality of courage is a kind of challenge which calls to the very depth of other human souls.

Mr. Churchill can use the English language so that it rings and pounds the emotion behind the words into your brain. He knows the value of contrast. Though it is years since I have read the poem which he quoted, I can think of none better to fit the occasion. When all is said and done, however, what remains with me is his stark sincerity and indomitable courage.

At 12:30, we hurried down to the NYA center to see a colossal and fine statue of the President.

Miss Thompson and I lunched with Mrs. Jerome Schneider and my daughter-in-law, Romelle. In the afternoon many people came to the Douglas’ house for tea. The patio buzzed with conversation and for me it was most exciting. To meet and talk with people whose work one has long admired is always a thrilling experience.

Meeting James Hilton, Burgess Meredith, Mary McCall, Dorothy Parker and many others actually in the flesh, was an experience which I had never hoped to have. To know that many of the people who were here yesterday had worked in the last campaign for the President and that most of them believe in what he stands for, was most inspiring.

So often you have to be glad because of your friends. I keep saying to myself, even if some programs are wrong, the ideas in back of them must be right or the people wouldn’t be with us in the fight for democracy.

It was particularly nice also to see again some familiar faces. Mr. Marc Connelly, who was so patient in the broadcast which I had the fun of presiding over in the last campaign; Dr. and Mrs. Thomas Mann, whose short time with us in the White House was such a pleasure; and our old friend, Mr. Eddie Dowling, who is here acting in the play Time of Your Life, which we enjoyed so much last year in New York.

After dinner, we went over to Mr. Walt Disney’s studio and he was kind enough to show us some of the work he is doing for defense. I liked particularly the drawings before they reach the color stage, and was very glad to find one artist at work in the studio and to see what the process of making these drawings really means. These cute little figures may teach us many lessons in the future, as well as provide the entertainment on which we have come to count.

Breakfast on the porch this morning, and now big envelopes of mail from Washington to keep us busy until we go to lunch.

April 30, 1941

Hollywood, Calif., Tuesday –
Yesterday we lunched with Mr. Herman Lissauer and the board members of the Modern Forum. I had an opportunity to talk for a few minutes with a representative of the YMCA who is considering some youth broadcasts.

In the afternoon, the members of the National Youth Administration Advisory Committee met here and the NYA Symphony Orchestra played for us on the patio in back of the house. It was a wonderful setting and I very much enjoyed the picture spread out before me as well as the music. The way in which the young musicians coped with a wayward wind, which came up and blew their music around, inspired everyone’s admiration.

Governor Olson of California spent a little while with us, so the young people had a chance to meet him. I was particularly touched at his taking the time to come during such a busy period. He remarked that the State of California is a big State and its affairs could keep one on the go every minute.

I was glad of an opportunity to talk with several people quietly at the end of the afternoon. Then we had an early and very peaceful family dinner and a drive down the hills into the city for the lecture. I was amused by all the precautions taken because of one threatening letter. After all, even if anyone should be foolish enough to try to create any excitement, so little would be accomplished.

It is fortunate that we are not flying anywhere early this morning, for the skies are gray and I am afraid that over the mountains it would be foggy. It is a disappointment, for instead of breakfast out on the porch in the sunshine, we had to eat indoors.

However, it is atmosphere created by the people that makes a difference in the early morning hours. Everyone seems happy in this household. The children feel as much responsibility about making the guests feel at home as do their elders. Yesterday afternoon, Peter, aged seven, brought me a gardenia with a most charming card attached, which he had written himself.

In this house, it is soon apparent that everybody works hard. Mr. Melvyn Douglas breakfasts at eight and is off to the studio long before nine. Though he did not return until late yesterday afternoon, he worked again all evening. So many of us think that artists’ lives are easy, but to create entertainment for our hours of ease requires much hard work behind the scenes.

Los Angeles is a friendly city and it was nice to have a word with so many people as I went in and out for my lecture last night. I shook hands with as many people as I could in passing by. The mere expression on their faces showed that they felt kindly toward me, and many sent messages to the President.