Editorial: Women in uniforms (1-12-42)

The Pittsburgh Press (January 12, 1942)

img

Ferguson: Women in uniforms

By Mrs. Walter Ferguson

The feminine world is stirred by the uniform question. Some folks want ‘em, some don’t. The soldier boys, being polled, seem confused on the issue, but at this writing, it looks like we’ll be wearing brass buttons before spring.

And in my opinion – which, by the way, is none too good on military matters – the thing will be a flop and a waste. Let’s consider, first, the peculiar nature of women in their attitude toward clothes. Did you ever meet one who was happy in the same style she wore six months before? Certainly not in the USA for our women are conditioned to quick fashion changes. They dote on variety. Their very morale would be imperiled by orders to stick to one model for the duration.

Next, take the soldiers. No matter what they may say now, in their burst of patriotic fervor, they want their women to look like women, especially during a war.

There’s still another factor to be considered before the matter can be settled – public sensibilities. And, folks, I leave it to you: What good will come of regimenting feminine fashions so that women of every age and every architectural mold will have to wear the same cut of dress?

Let your imagination loose. Uniforms are becoming to girls with a Betty Grable figure, but if we make this thing general, it will mean that women of grand-piano proportions, as well as the beanpole types, must appear in snug-fitting, straight-up-and-down garments.

The result would be awful. Besides, we’ve done pretty good work in other lines without such regimentation. I think we can help win a war without going into uniforms.

1 Like

I was not aware of this sentiment during the war. I am doubtful that this view was widely held. Her view of women denigrates the sacrifices women were making in the war effort. My view is she was very wrong in the end. It will be interesting to see if her view changes at the end of the war.

2 Likes