Does anyone know where i can find a manual for the bf 109

does anyone know where i can find a manual for the bf 109 for free?
thanks

5 Likes

One good source is the DCS manual. DCS is A Russian simulator game which is very good at simulating systems which are in the airplane. The flight model itself is flakey as in not as good as A2A.But I only can compare the L-39 Albatross, MiG 15 and Spitfire with the real thing as in actual training flights. The game comes with free 2 seater mustang with training which is actually a good way to learn ancient instrumentation. Hope this Helps https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/316960/manuals/DCS_Bf_109K-4_Manual_EN.pdf?

2 Likes

thanks, i know of dcs, just never made the link

3 Likes

By the way, very welcome to Timeghost, there is a wealth of information here and lot of people who want to help.

As for DCS, I am fairly new to it as well in the sense that I really only used it to prepare for IRL. I want to put more time in DCS but it takes a lot of time to get a handle on the missions.

I have another sometimes very technical source on the BF-109 and many other aviation topics. Gregs Planes and Automobiles. Unlike many other aviation sites he REALLY know what he is talking about. Have fun. By the way if I may ask what are you planning to do with the manual?

4 Likes

i am trying to learn to fly the 109 in il-2 battle of stalingrad, and i want to learn the bombing technique used by 109 pilots

are you a irl pilot?

3 Likes

Cool, IL-2 is another great sim.

Actually I am a fixed wing pilot who focuses on new experiences like jets and eg Wingwalking in Sequim. Might do a helicopter conversion someday. IRL flying is fun but makes a giant dent in my budget. It is a life choice.

There is an awful lot to learn in flying and it takes time, For me Sims are great for practice as one gets to know the instruments. Some of the game manuals are better than the actual manuals as the latter focuses on technical data and assume you get an instructor with training syllabus.

Good luck. Maybe will meet on IL-2 as you gave me the idea to check out that sim again.

3 Likes

i hope we do meet, if you want we can talk on discord.
good luck in your real life adventures, i am just a 13 y/o with an unhealthy love of ww2 aircraft

3 Likes

Cool, I won’t be on IL2 soon. started on Sims long time ago and had a massive interest in World War 2 planes when I was 13 as well (I drove some teachers but)

Aviation is a fantastic place to learn subjects like aerodynamics, weather, engines, air law, medical, boating if you go seaplanes, and it changes perspectives Etc.

Where I live in the Netherlands a lot of young people start flying through a glider club from 12 years old. (I wish I did) These are relatively inexpensive but time consuming. You do need a medical license and money and especially passion.

You have lots of time and my only advice make your own decisions. Don’t let me or anyone else make then for you. This is imperative for a Pilot In Command.

4 Likes

thanks, i am currently learning the f-16 in DCS with a friend

4 Likes

Actually DCS also has a really good user guide for the BF-109 and F-16 Viper. The BF-109 is a taildragger and in DCS these are hard to land or take off in. The reason is that
1 e.g. on take-off the aerodynamics change. Lift the tail and you become a windvane and you REALLY have to fight to keep the nose straight.
2 Secondly the Center off Gravity is different, and once you let the nose go to the left or right you are groundlooping. This guide has some advice on it.

if you find the taildragger hard to fly, don’t despair. A lot of very very experienced airline pilots got their ego’s hammered by low-power taildragger. Actually I found the real SuperCub extremely hard to land and take-off with at first because it is not a nosewheel plane, I did get the rating after 5 hours but many experienced pilots take 10-15 hours at least. The main difference in a real plane too is that in a Cub everything is pure muscle power ;-).

I hope you have fun and learn a lot.

2 Likes

GP&A is a fantastic channel!

3 Likes

Indeed Greg is one of the few who has original research, intimately knows how planes fly and dives deeply. Beats the others

1 Like

you should check this website https://www.deutscheluftwaffe.de/

2 Likes

http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/techref/manuals/manuals.htm and this one

2 Likes