Did the medical system change under the Nazis?

How was medical care different before, during and after the Nazi regime.

3 Likes

We have seen that during the Great War field medical treatment advanced a lot. How those practices changed with the advancing military capabilities?

2 Likes

I was thinking more of a country-wide system. Now most of Europe now has universal heath care which is not the case in America. Did the health care system change under the Nazis?

1 Like

From what I understand, no, it didn’t change under the Nazis. What did happen was that there were broad health reforms starting in the 19th century. For the sake of scale these initiatives created central health insurance plans at the industry, state or national level. In insurance, bigger is better as it stabilize premiums and claims.

In many countries like Sweden, trade unions were co-opted into administering health plans and turned into quasi-governmental agencies. This is called the Ghent system as it originates in Belgium.

Britain enacted the National Health Service in 1948.

How the US wound up with the system it has is a tortured history of roads not taken. Proposals for a universal US system were floated by foundered on racial politics and the quirks of the US party system.

In lieu, American trade unions bargained for health care and pensions from employers starting in the 1940’s. This created an employer-bssed welfare state. A example of this is the auto makers and the United Auto Workers. The catch was if you lost your job you were banished from this welfare system.

The next aborted effort was the introduction of Medicare for those over 65 in 1964. It was originally intended to cover everyone by expanding in stages but those stages never happened.

I am grossly simplifying a complex story here.