Did the Germans or Japanese ever plan to invade the US?

Hi Indy and Team,

Did the Germans or Japanese ever make plans to invade the US mainland (or any part of North or South America for that matter)? I am well aware of the Japanese invasion of the Aleutians, but did they or the Nazis ever have grander plans for the Americas?

Thanks and keep up the good work

2 Likes

Far as I can tell I doubt The Axis ever seriously considered invading the US or Canada mainly because it just wasn’t feasible. The Japanese Empire was already stretched to the limit after invading the Dutch EI and British Malaya, not to mention the effort to invade India and China still wasn’t subdued. Invading North America would have been a second China but more spread out, MUCH further away and with an actual industry. The Japanese did send Fire Balloons to North America but they were largely ineffective. The Japanese DID implement Operation Cherry Blossoms At Night which was a planned BIO attack on the US with seaplanes launched from subs, but fortunately the war ended just in time. Germany on the other hand couldn’t even land in Britain let alone North America because their Navy was so small compared to the UK and US individually. The Germans did have the Amerika Bomber program, to create a bomber capable of flying to the Eastern Seaboard and back in conjunction with their nuclear bomb program. The V2 rockets would have been the next option and I believe there were prototypes to fit them into U-Boats but of course that never came to pass. Basically I think both Japan and Germany recognized that an invasion of America and Canada was far beyond their capability and tried instead to subdue them with Super Weapons. (And I don’t mean like in Wolfenstein The New Order haha.) Any idea of a Red Dawn esq invasion would likely have been relegated (like Wolfenstein) to fiction. Sorry for this being so long.

2 Likes