Destroyed village Oradour-Sur-Glane brings home the horrors of the SS

Hi,

In Russia a lot of places did suffer genocides. The episodes of TG are great but a place where there still is a REAL destroyed village is Oradour-Sur-Glane near Limoges in Central France.

The visitor first walks through a tunnel were there are pictures of the trams, school and the people living in the village who died. Then you actually can explore the actual fairly big village which is a touching experience. After the war Charles De Gualle decided to just leave the old village and rebuild the new Oradour-Sur-Glane next to it. Maybe an idea for a TGmeetup?

Great place to visit (if Covid ever allows it again). And it is a lot bigger than what one would guess from the pictures.

http://www.oradour.org/

Chewie.

3 Likes

It is a good suggestion. I don’t think it is a happy place but history isn’t always happy, unfortunately.

Other suggestions:

• Berlin, where the Reich had its Götterdämmerung

• Warsaw, though not much is left of the old city pre-1945

• Brest (Brest-Litovsk) in Belarus, battle of the Brest Fortress, also the WWI “peace” between Imperial Germany and Bolshevik Russia was signed in Brest-Litovsk. I suppose that getting there and access might be a problem considering Belarus doesn’t seem the most friendly country around

• Volgograd (Stalingrad), might be even more difficult since it will cost much money. I’ve been there a few years ago and it is worth it, it gave me a much better understanding of the battle just to drive towards the city from the airport and away from the city (to visit Rossoschka as well as Kalach-on-Don).

• St-Mere-Eglise, if it has to be western Europe, perhaps one of the focal points of operation Overlord?

1 Like