Dealing with controversial YouTube comments

Hey everyone in the TG community! I run a small time YouTube channel just for fun where I do a history video and an alternate history video each week, and recently there have been just a few comments that are… I guess you could say Axis sympathetic. For example, one person has consistently commented how Japan was right to attack Pearl Harbor and China in 1937, and I tried reasoning with this user as in theory, there’s nothing wrong with asking questions, but this user’s “evidence” and claims are ridiculous and are potentially harmful to unsuspecting younger viewers. I understand some people are just trolls, post BS, or sometimes make borderline jokes that can be misinterpreted from the commenter’s intent, and that this is the internet…

I’m not sure how I should handle these types of comments, should I just ban them? Should I waste time trying to explain why the Axis were the “bad guys” and why the Allies were right to fight against Germany in Europe? Should I even give commenters a chance to explain themselves on controversial comments, for example one person wrote that they believed the US should have allied with the Germans and Japanese in WW2 against the USSR? Or should I ignore them?

Thank you for taking the time to help me out :+1:

1 Like