D-Day Research Contribution HERE

Today i found this on youtube as it happened to be in my recommendations. It is the FULL D-day broadcast by CBS, NBC and BBC. It starts with news coming from the Germans that the landings have started and then later the confirmation from the allied HQ.

2 Likes

Hello

Found this site with lots of recordings of memories from WW2

1 Like

This is a letter written by my grandfather, Lieutenant J. Nevin, as he waited on a troop ship prior to June 6th 1944. He Served with The Highland Light Infantry of Canada, 9th Brigade, 3rd Canadian Infantry Division. As I understand it, the 9th was in reserve off shore on the 6th but was to be brought ashore to advance through the assaulting elements to expand the beachhead. Never got to meet the man as he passed away before I was born, but my family all tell me I’m a spitting image of him. Some of the parts are a little less than PC, but I consider it a reflection of the the time and not the man.

Letter reads:
Lieut. J. Nevin
HLI of Canada
Support Company
Can. Army Overseas

June 4, 1944

Hello Folks: -
Well 10 pm now and have been going thirty-eight hours straight.
At present aboard a Canadian Boat somewhere on some water ready for our big day and really looking forward to it too. The lads are magnificent. So full of spirit. You would think it was just another amphibious scheme and its not that they don’t know it’s the real McCoy because every man jack of them has been briefed and knows what to expect.

We are very fortunate that we are on a Canadian boat manned by lads from home because it enables us all to write and they will look after the letters for us when the boat returns to England. I am writing my letters on my first night aboard because the one thing we don’t know is the day. Perhaps tomorrow, next week or later. You people will know it almost as soon as we will.

But believe me never has a finer equipped, higher spirited army ever gone into action anywhere and success will definitely be ours and then the little yellow bastards and home and peace, our families, loved ones, all the old spots and the things we used to do.

For me 67, the legion, Bette, good old Guelph. Our Saturday nights when everyone else on the street is in bed, the piano, good Canadian beer and lots to talk about.

Lord Dad, if I could only describe the picture around me now you would realize the immensity of this project but that will have to wait till you and mom and the other Nevins can get parked on that old chesterfield and talk and boy, I have a lot to tell you.

I have so much to look forward to and I have the feeling that the good Lord will guide me safely through this campaign and see that I am once again settled in Guelph again.

My thoughts are always of home and you and with that to guide me I shall safely siege through these wonderful adventurous days ahead of me.

Don’t worry about me folks. I’ll be O.K.

Have had no mail for weeks because it’s being held up but we will get it soon. My mail maybe infrequent now but whenever the chance arises you will hear from me.

Keep the mail and cigs coming.
Do look after yourselves. My best to all.

Cheerio for now and God Bless you both.
All my love
Junior
Xxxxx
p.S.
I’m well and happy.

dday letter

2 Likes

dday letter 2

2 Likes

Here is a video with some of the danish perspective (in danish)https://youtu.be/MkmM-qLhfx4
We are not normally included in the groups of allied forces on D day memorials as we had a cooperation policy with the German forces until august 1943. One of the often forgotten contribution to the war is the civilian sailors on the merchant ships. As a maritime nation we had the control of many ships. The still present company MAERSK transferrred the control of their fleet to New York so that it would no come under German control. Our national training sailing ship “Danmark” were in the US at the wars beginning and were used to train US navy cadets during the war.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing:) hopefully we can get together in May/June

1 Like

I misplaced a post ment to be here in the “Welkom to forum” list. Its in German because the newspapers and the Steinwache media mentiond are in German only.

2 Likes

Don t worry a lot of us can read German. I live 2 hours from the the museum. thanks for the tip

1 Like

A really detailed episodes on the landings on Juno Beach, this documentary claims that on Omaha Beach the losses were higher but as a percentage to the force committed the Canadians suffered higher losses. Not too surprising as there were lots of bunkers and a Seawall which is still there. Also the tanks were delayed on the sandbar.

It also featured the first liberated house (from the sea) the Canada house now. When I met the TV presenter Nelson Bird on Juno he told me that his dad called the night before if THE house is still there. A lot of blood was paid to liberate that house, never forget!

Juno Beach: The Fighting Canadians on D-Day | History Traveler Episode 194 - YouTube

2 Likes

Hello! Here’s an article from the Polish Home Army’s Newspaper “Biuletyn Informacyjny” pretaining to the landings during D-day I found. The newspaper’s dated June 8th and contains the general reaction of the home army’s to the landings. Attached is the link to the archive where i found it and one of the pages.

1 Like

Hello, I found some war propaganda from Mexico. I leave the link here, it®s a Facebook publication from a group in spanish called: “Alemania nos invadió”.

2 Likes

Hello,
it may be sending owls to Athens:

1. News on the 6th June was: ROME (The eternal city) has fallen in allied hands. In hindsight Normandie was more important, but in early June nearly nobody knew.

2)The youtuber “Real Engeneering” has spent a lot of work about the logistics of D-Day, which hade been the differrence between the fantasy of “Seelöwe” and D-Day.

Just 2 things I have missed to recognize in your wonderfull try to make history factbased avaiable.

gerhard

2 Likes

One point that might be worth a brief mention is Joan Ellis, the unfortunate young woman who leaked the news of the D-Day landings by accident on 3 June 1944. She was working with the Associated Press and was practising to type the news bulletin to America but didn’t realise the machine was connected. 23 Jul 1944 - "D-Day Girl" - Trove

According to “Normandy: The Landings to the Liberation of Paris” p. 170, the Telex communication reached CBS in America, Moscow and even Berlin. Normandy: The Landings to the Liberation of Paris - Olivier Wieviorka - Google Books

2 Likes

Hello,
Soldatensender Callais was Britisch:

1 Like

A couple of entries from the Imperial War Museum.

IWM 1599, Sound recording of speech by “First French Troops to Land in France” First French Troops to Land in France | Imperial War Museums

IWM 13557, Sound recording of Agnes Nancy Biglin’s recollection of hearing the news of D-Day as a 10 year old in Reading, England. Reel 2 of 2, from 21:11. Biglin, Agnes Nancy (Oral history) | Imperial War Museums

2 Likes

Hello,
reading another German newspaper from 7. June (information from evening 6. June):
canvas-a

1. Invasion has started between Le Havre and Cherbourg
  2. More landings are to be expected
  3. Roosevelt and Churchill are acting to Stalins demand
    and the allied soldiers are doomed

4. The news of the fighting in northwest France covered the loss of Rome.

It is very interresting to find out what was the present to the people at one date of history.
I remember the headline of a newspaper from 1.September 1939: Der FĂŒhrer rettet den Frieden.
(information a bit outdated during print)

3 Likes

I missed that you have not missed that:

https://www.youtube.com/c/DasPanzermuseum/videos

2 Likes

I found a dairy of the Dutch poet Jan Greshoff, who was in exile in the US during D-Day. He was requested to record a message that morning that was aired by the BBC for the Dutch people. It includes the transcript of his message. From what I understood is that it was aired together with a message from PM Gerbandy. (page 92 - 94)

file:///C:/Users/giesb/Downloads/Masterscriptie_-_Silke_de_Kruif.pdf

If a translation is needed please let me know, but I know you have Dutchies hanging around :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The D-day museum have a large collection they are slowly putting online.

A diary entry of a 11 year old girl in Portsmouth

A pass letting a civilian enter the part of portsmouth they lived in

Pages of sketches of the embarking

1 Like