D-Day Research Contribution HERE

Good point. I often think that when some historians claim a stance on neutrality, they just use it as an excuse to push in a sole perspective (hence my comments on the posts I linked “being potentially disagreeable”). Combine that with misrepresenting the facts which, considering TimeGhost only used one major source for their video (a Marxist one at that) and they misquoted the hell out of Secretary Stimson, my disappointment over that video still stands. Thank you for your kind words. :slight_smile:

I’ve met a lot of folks who lived through segregation as well. My grandfather, in fact, was a fervent opponent of it (his reasoning for not voting for Stevenson in 1952 was partly the fact that his running mate was pro-segregation).

I just wish that more historians had just discussed perspectives (whatever their bias) instead of just abusing the topic on one sole perspective, like what some historians did and still do which includes that video. Having an implicit bias is fine, just don’t claim it’s the only perspective, especially on a topic like this.

The best words to describe this period in our history are, in my opinion: “Even accounting for prejudice, it’s a long story.”

1 Like

The day after: Brooklyn Eagle (June 7, 1944)

1 Like

Hello,

My wife’s grandfather was on the USS Barnett during WWII. This is a link to a book that he had as well as a timeline of events written by him. His information is as follows:

Lt. Robert Wallace Nissen
Communications officer USS Barnett
Involved in Guadalcanal, Sicily, DDay

Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iDRlV859q_ZSkzfKnBwi2rHCc7Bl8BH-/view?usp=drivesdk

2 Likes

I`m Ricardo from Mexico. I found some information about how Mexico was involved on D-Day and perceived by society. On one side, there is a story about a Mexican pilot that fought with a Canadian squadron on D-Day. On the other, I found an article published by the newspaper “El Tiempo” that makes a resume of D-Day events a couple of weeks later.

As a side note, I would like to say that I search for newspapers with news and no articles, but I had some problems: first, these materials are restringed for the public (no idea why); second, the newspaper libraries that had these material weren`t open.

Links:

Día D_1

2 Likes

More Links:

Día D_2

2 Likes

Día D_3

2 Likes

A very heartfelt welcome to the forum Ricardo and thanks very much for your input. Let me/us know should you have any questions!

3 Likes

This academic book is about Aboriginal forces in Canada in World War 2. Page 147 is especially about D-Day were also Indigenous people (First Nations) landed on Juno Beach

There were also Canadian code talkers which used Cree!

Update: I Apped with Nelson Bird yesterday and he confirmed the D-Day recollection on page 146 is indeed from Charles Warren Bird (Charlie Bird) who disembarked in Juno Beach on 6th June 1944. There was another Charlie Bird in the Regina rifles. I met his son Nelson Bird on 6th November 2005 on Juno Beach where he was filming for the “Coming home ceremony”. Nelson works for the Canadian TV and was the lead presenter of the “Indeginous Circle”

A Commemorative History of Aboriginal People in the Canadian Military (forces.gc.ca)

This is the site of the writer Lackenbauer!
Lackenbauer.ca | BOOKS

2 Likes

Here is some more data on Canadian First Nation veterans and their unique set op difficulties dealing with Racism and other nasty stuff:
Indigenous Peoples and the Second World War | The Canadian Encyclopedia

Here is a podcast about First Nations on D-Day (cramming it in here because I can do only 3 replies :slight_smile: )

D-Day • Record of Service - Podcast Addict

This is part of the Canadian Memory project, they have more podcast. Including about Code Breakers and Code Talkers (not just Navaho but also e.g. Cree).

1 Like

Not probably. It was that news agency. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I sent them a message but got a confusing response. Sorry this response is so late.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Maybe there is room in the 24 hours for a follow up on the 8th June. Barnes Wallis also invented the Tall Boy 5400KG earthquake bomb This was dropped on the 8th of June with the specific purpose of stopping train traffic to Normandy. For this the Lancasters had to be heavily modified and defensive armament had to be removed. Barnes Wallis the guy from the Wellington, bouncing dambuster bomb and many other inventions)

This vid is about the Grand Slam but also includes the Tall boys bombardment on the 8th June and the massive effort to get to to that point. Interdiction of logistics was vital to the D-Day success!

Grand Slam - The RAF’s Ten-Ton Earthquake Bomb - YouTube

2 Likes

Is there somewhere we can submit a document in PDF? Having trouble uploading mine here!

3 Likes

Cheating a bit here, since it’s not exactly from June 6th or 7th, but I still found it very interesting. It deals with the POW that the allies took on D-day. I think it delivers a good insight.

This was published in the newspaper Glas Naroda (Voice of the Nation or "The People’s Voice), a paper of Slovene workers that migrated to the USA. Based in New York, it was the most widespread Slovene daily in the US, with the circulation of 14.000 copies. This particular paper was published on June 9th, 1944.

Glas_URN_NBN_SI_doc-QOKUFKKO_Page_1

PDF available here: PDF (dlib.si)

This is my translation:

German prisoners arriving to England
Hundreds of anguished Germans, some wearing helmets, are arriving in the hinterland in England, with many more on the way. However, these are completely different soldiers than those at the beginning of the war. Back then, the prisoners (of war) were confident, straight out brutal. But now, some are even smiling. One prisoner even showed the allied greeting: risen thumbs-up. No one made Hitler’s greeting; No one screamed “Heil Hitler!”, some even said “kaput” (defeated).

A German prisoner was asked by an allied member of the military police, what does he think about the war. He answered slowly, in English: “It’s all for nothing and soon everything will be finished. We are defeated, I know that.”
Another prisoner said, “Now you have begun and it won’t last for much longer.”
German prisoners are in majority thin and pale boys, barely 18 years old, and you can see on them like if their spirit was banished from their heart.
Among the prisoners are also four Poles and one Russian, who were captured on the Russian front and were stuffed into the German army.

2 Likes

Found this transcription of an interview with one of the Slovens that was forcibly mobilized into the German army and then sent to Normandy.
Found it in the book Mobiliziranci v nemško vojsko z Gorenjske v letih 1943-1945 (Mobilised into Wehrmacht from upper Carniola in the years 1943-1945), by Monika Kokalj Kočevar. File available here: DKUM - Gorenjski mobiliziranci v nemški vojski 1943-45 ; page 221. The interview was filmed in 2005 by The Museum of Contemporary History of Slovenia.

My translation of the text:
Emil Kranjec was in Normandy when D Day began:
“We were drilling in a town Preal near Granville. I was with the bicycle infantry. We had military bicycles, on which we transported everything, from mortars to machine guns. We were making up to 50 kilometers per day. We were in Normandy when the invasion began. One week before, we had already been sleeping fully equipped, except for helmets. The Germans were anxious that something was up. The invasion began at 1am, when the panic started. We went on our bicycles and went to the sea, across Normandy, we were riding all night and day. On our way we were bombarded, many have fallen. The following day we’ve arrived at the frontline, to the coast 72 (I believe it’s referencing Widerstandsnest 72). They (the Germans) considered us, Slovenes, as cannon fodder. The Germans had always sent us forward and I had to be in the lead. I was their front guard. With my binoculars, I was watching the sea. Ship by ship, as far as the eye could see. They were bombarding us, a grenade falling on every square meter.”

2 Likes

Okay, one more input here, and then I’m mostly done. :sweat_smile:

This is from a book Mobilizacija Gorenjcev v nemško vojsko 1943-1945 (Mobilisation of upper Carniola into the German army 1943-1945), published in 1999.

This is a written recollection from Boris Feldin. He was recruited in late November 1943, and placed with gebirgsartillerie (mountain artillery) unit in Italy. In spring 1944 he was transferred to France and placed to a motorized antiair defense unit in Montebourg. There, he was trained as a telephone and telegraph operator. Though he was offered German citizenship when he was recruited, he declined. He was seventeen years old when the invasion started.

Boris_Feldin_1961
(Boris Feldin in 1961)

On June 5th, he and two other Slovene recruits were in Cherbourg, where the feldpolizei stopped them and told them to return back to their unit.

“Back at the unit, there was already alert, but nobody knew what exactly was going on, or they didn’t want to tell us.

Low flights over land have been increasing towards the evening and the state of alarm has been proclaimed before midnight. We had to clear and pack all our things and get into trucks. At around 2 am, you could already see many flashes towards the Atlantic. We were about 5 km away from the sea and at daybreak we departed towards the Atlantic Wall bunkers. We couldn’t drive there with vehicles, since Anglo-Americans have been constantly flying over us at a low altitude. At the edge of a forest, where the slope began dropping towards the sea and bunkers, we disembarked and started moving toward them. It was then when we saw countless ships across the entire horizon and after about 50 meters of walking, flashes started coming from ships and shells have begun dropping onto the coast, bunkers and the forest. The time was 5 am on June 6th, 1944. The so-named invasion - the landing of Normandy, has started and we were in the center of the attack. Of course, today we know that this area would be called Utah, where the American army first attacked.

The entire day we’ve been surviving the artillery and aerial attacks on the bunkers… We had to get to the observation stations in the bunkers, from where we could communicate information to our artillery in the forest. Even trying to get there demanded the first victims of my unit compatriots. Of course, for a seventeen-year-old, it was horrifying. When we reached the bunkers, only four of us out of seven, we were stationed at the observation posts. There wasn’t much observing we could have done, for there was constant firing around.

Bunkers were well-built and in multiple stories. Upper stories - facing the sea, hosted observation posts and lighter weapons, below were heavier canons, and then different spaces from sleeping quarters to dining rooms, kitchens and, of course, weapons storage, munitions and so on. We barely held out until dusk, when we received an order to return back to our unit.

It was easier to do that in the dark and when we boarded our vehicles, we were to go towards Sainte-Mère-Église, where the paratroopers have started landing the night before. They were dropped from gliders that were dragged by motor planes, and also dropped them weapons, munitions and food with parachutes. We were in the middle of the parachute attack. I only remember that we were looking for shelter, hiding in dugouts and holes, and shooting just about anywhere where we thought action was happening. At dawn, we saw the empty gliding planes on the ground and the parachuted supplies, some empty and some containing weapons, food and other things. Here and there we saw dead bodies, both German and Americans.

After that, we had to retreat, again under the aerial attacks, towards Carentan. But because the Anglo-American planes were constantly in the air and shooting at anything that moved, we could get there by day. At night, we started retreating toward Saint-Lô.”

This is where the events around the D-Day itself stop, but his recollection continues. He was at Saint-Lô for a couple of days, where he was lightly wounded during an aerial attack. He was in a hospital for two days but then reassigned back to the field. During the retreat, he would almost manage to escape and join French resistance, but they were on the move too often and too quickly for that to be executed. He and the German army continued retreating towards Belgium, then the Netherlands and, eventually Germany. From there he managed to slowly but surely travel back toward Austria and the border with Yugoslavia, where he managed, with the help of his family and friends and a lot of trickery, to defect to the resistance movement, where he was doing intelligence work, mostly spying on the German military transports that could then be attacked from the air.

Needless to say that he went through more than other seventeen-year-olds go through, and he managed to survive. After the war, he would become a teacher.

2 Likes

There is a new youtube film with more info about the 320th and their brave balloon work!

The African American Soldiers of D-Day | History Traveler Episode 184 - YouTube

3 Likes

And then there is the story of Waverley Woodson who saved lots of people on the beach. He was apparently nominated for the MOH.

Waverly Woodson - a Forgotten Hero - YouTube

3 Likes

Link to the writer and book on it.
LindaHervieux.com

1 Like