Chemical Warfare

Hi Indy and crew! We’ve seen that both Italy and Japan had used chemical weapons during their conflicts with Abyssinia and China respectively. Why did neither the Axis or the Allies engage in chemical warfare once the war began in September 1939?

5 Likes

Ironically Hilter did not like the idea of using chemical weapons as WW1 had an affect on him. I do believe he was gassed himself. For both the Allies and Axis, chemical weapons were not conducive to mobile warfare. Why use gas when your tanks can smash through the lines then drive 10, 20, even 30 miles into enemy territory? Gas also works both ways. Your men could possible die from “friendly” gas if they werent careful. Although the US was stockpiling chemical weapons in 1945 for the invasion of Japan as they foresaw brutal combat on the Japanese Home Islands

2 Likes

Japan used chemical and biological weapons in China up to 1945.

1 Like

I find it interesting that the Japanese chose not to use chemical weapons during the Pacific Campaign. Chemical weapons used in a defensive strategy against amphibious landings might have proved effective, at least during the earliest battles. Some of the sources I have looked up indicate that gas masks were not part of the USMC “782” gear, and the Japanses could have caused a significant number of casualties using chemical weapons against unprotected troops if they had a mind to do it.

I think the main reason the Japanese used Chemical Weapons against China, but not the allies is the fact they knew the Chinese were incapable of retaliating with Chemical Weapons. With the allies, it was a far different story. Especially after the Doolittle Raid. One thing we fortunately did not see in WW2, were massive areal gas attacks.