British Commonwealth Air Training Plan

In the early years of the war it was realized that it was too dangerous to train pilots and air crews in Britain so the BCATP was created and Canada became the primary place to train almost all British commonwealth pilots and crews throughout the war. Some 132,000 personnel were trained to fly and crew fighters, bombers and ground crews.

It proved to be very successful and even many thousands of Americans were trained as well under incentives provided by both the American and Canadian governments. In addition other countries sent aircrew here to Canada to train. The program was so successful that it even continues to this day almost all NATO countries and most former commonwealth countries still send pilots here every year to train.

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/british-commonwealth-air-training-plan

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/classroom/fact-sheets/britcom

4 Likes

You know it continually amazes me how well Britain managed it’s rather smallish resources. Yes they had an empire but 132,000 air personnel? Wow.

Britain planned from day one on a war of attrition. Germany did not pay attention.

I think the French planned brunch. Ok bad pun.

4 Likes

Might as well add this when I am on a roll of bad jokes. I found this today and it amused me.

4 Likes

LOL, I hope the Wicked Witch of wherever didn’t scare the Generals.

3 Likes

I think the wizard of Oz designed American torpedoes.

3 Likes

Yeah even in Silent Service 2 these annoyed the hell out of me. Imagine risking your life on getting a should just to end up with a tiny fender bender on a Japanese ship :frowning:

2 Likes

Hopefully we learned our lesson about proper testing. Something tells me it will happen again sadly.

2 Likes

Yep, especially with the Pointy Haired Boss logic: The application was delivered on time in budget but the testing/rework phase took waaaaaaaaaay too long​:smiling_imp: :joy:

1 Like

This is nowhere more apparent than in the design evolution of the Lee infield and Mauser.

3 Likes

Missed opportunity for a British Tea joke (such as the British were extremely delighted to see that the Germans wanted nothing to do with the disgusting liquid called Tea and left it all to the British as a punishment after their capitulation) and a French baguette joke.

2 Likes

Also in Canada and Rhodesia it also was perfectly safe to train in bright yellow Harvards/T-6s. This is a massive advantage as these are easy to spot and in case of an emergency landing easy to find back. We cannot underestimate the advantages of a safe training environments

3 Likes