Battle of Savo Island - Naval battle off Guadalcanal - excellent video

We’re just over a month out from the Battle of Savo Island a major naval engagement during the landings that kicked off Guadalcanal, so I thought I’d share this video from Montemayor on the battle.

He does very long form videos using excellent maps to indicate the tactical details of a battle as well as discussion of the context of the battle from a strategic perspective. One thing he does that I’ve not seen any other analysts do effectively is he makes it very clear what the relevant parties knew - as this is a Japanese surprise attack, it’s written mainly from the perspective of the IJN. (Indeed, his best work is a three parter covering the Battle of Midway told front to back exclusively from the IJN perspective, before he pulls back the curtain and runs through it more quickly from the American perspective.) This makes it much easier to understand some decisions that seem like mistakes by various commanders, as you know what critical pieces of information they were missing.

His sources are listed in the video description, which may be useful to the Time Ghost research team, depending on how far ahead the research progresses from the finalized show.

3 Likes

Thanks for the post, his presentations are extremely well done :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Another one to cover for my forum thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s been popping up in my youtube feed but it sounds like spoilers. Montemayor has a couple of excellent videos about midway, I’ll check out this one after the battle happens.

2 Likes

Woopsies. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Yeahh, seen it - great video. But the first naval battle is the Easiest to understand. I hope for similar videos on the other Guadalcanal naval battles.

1 Like