Are you guys have plans for Korean wars too?

it’s bit way later but I want to know there’s a plan for timeghost to proceed this event :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It would be cool to get Korean War week by week for the 75th anniversary from 2025-2028

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum and I can tell that Indy and Sparty are very interested in Korea. It is a very interesting, frustrating and vicious war.

3 Likes

Both Indy and Spartacus have both mentioned more than a few times their wish to cover the Korean War on their informal chats with the rest of the time ghost crew.

4 Likes

I had thought it might be worthwhile for the team to follow on after the war is formally over (because the suffering didn’t stop with the formal surrenders), but perhaps do it as a monthly or quarterly summary leading up to the Korean “police action” and then switching back to weekly. Sadly, there’ll be just as much for Sparty to cover as there would be for Indy. There’s always a war against humanity somewhere.

4 Likes

I would love a Korea Series, my grandad flew I believe the Mitchell for 55 missions in Korea, he didn’t really talk about it but now that I’m older I wish I could’ve asked him more. I’ve noticed a Korea movie too so it’s nice to see more interest or observation.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, I know the feeling my grandparents didn’t talk much and mostly happy stories. With some of the horrible details coming out when they suffered from dementia.

Anyway, they are thinking of the best Format for Korea. (I met them in Normandy)

3 Likes

Personally, I would love the idea of the Time Ghost Army covering the Korean War to bring the Forgotten War to many who have not heard of it. I realize the difficulty of the TimeGhost Army in doing this because this war is heavily propagandized by the People’s Republic of China with the most recent accusation for the last 9 years being that the United States psychologically and physically tortured thousands of Chinese prisoners to defect to the United Nations coalition for propaganda purposes. The same is with over 80,000 South Korean prisoners of war who were kidnapped and held as slave labor in the aftermath of the war by the North Korean government.

I remember from my young childhood from the age of 4 being driven up to the Aberdeen Proving Grounds Veteran Affairs hospital by my grandmother and father to visit my Uncle Chester and go fishing with him along Swan Creek on Sunday afternoons. It was only in my late teenage years that I found out the truth about my Uncle Chester.

My Uncle Chester was committed to the VA Psychiatric Ward by my family due to alcoholism and heroin addiction as a result of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder from the Korean War. My Uncle Chester was a survivor of Task Force Faith. My Uncle Chester was found severely wounded by US Marines who heard his moaning on the floorbed of an army truck two days after the annihilation of Task Force Faith. The dead bodies of the soldiers killed lying on top of him provided enough warmth to keep him from freezing to death. When he recovered from his wounds, he deserted the US Army and took off with his South Korean girlfriend to Seattle. He was found by the police and arrested for desertion but was given an Honorable Discharge by the United States Army because he was a survivor of Task Force Faith.

Because of PTSD, my Uncle Chester ended up abandoning his family and lived homeless on a cardboard box as a heroin addict on Baltimore Street. That is where my father and grandmother found him and had him committed to the Psychiatric VA ward. Unfortunately, the Supreme Court changed the law about commitment due to treatable mental illness to a maximum of 30 days, so my uncle was released from the VA hospital and plunged back into full scale alcoholism until he died of cirrhosis of the liver.

It is men like my uncle that this historical event should be placed permanently on the internet for all to see.

4 Likes

I would like to see the Korean war done by the time ghost crew but I think it would be hard to not make it a one side affair.
A lot of the information from the UN side of the war will be available but on the Chinese North Korean side it will be harder to get information

1 Like

It seems to have been a pretty rare thing for veterans to want to talk about their wartime experiences, unless (as in the case of one of my wife’s uncles) he spent the war defending Calgary from the Nazis. My late father-in-law, for example, never talked about the war at all (he died before I met my wife, so I never got a chance to talk to him). It turned out that he’d had a very active war in the Royal Navy serving on Defensively Equipped Merchant Ships (DEMS), including service on the Arctic Convoys (possibly including the infamous PQ-17) and being in Bombay at the time of the Bombay docks explosion in 1944.

His brothers may have known about his wartime service, but the rest of the family had to find out after he died.

Another of my wife’s uncles was a “boy soldier” in Burma in 1941. He was captured by the Japanese and spent the rest of the war as a POW. He never talked about his experiences, but he had started to write an autobiography before he died.

My great-uncle served in the RAF in Singapore in 1941 and was evacuated just before the city fell to the Japanese … he never talked about his experiences.

3 Likes

This is true of any military action

I know of a few Canadian veterans who were involved in the Bosnia and Herzegovina war and still won’t talk much about what they’ve seen. Same with those Canadians who were in Cypress, Afghanistan, desert storm and other military actions over the past 40 years.

I do understand some of their reasons not to talk I myself as a first responder at my workplace and even attending MVAs as a trained first aider still dredges up bad memories for me on some of those I’ve attended. However my experiences don’t compare with those who have been under fire and seen the absolute worst of humanity so I can understand their reluctance to talk.

2 Likes