Any other fans of Asterix an Obelix here?

For those who aren’t these started as Comic books about a French village which resisted the Roman occupation and was surrounded by Roman camps such as Petitbonum.

Their are also entertaining movies about this and a lot of French self deprecating jokes. Julius Caesar is the bad guy (obviously). The comic books are quite good.

The movie is fun but might not be completely accurate

5 Likes

I love Asterix and Obelix. I watched the cartoons when I was little. I had one of the comic books (emphasis on BOOK) and the two movies were great. I’ll never forget the theme from Contre Ceasar.

4 Likes

“I had one of the comic books (emphasis on BOOK)”

I collected the comics when I was little saving up to buy the series. As I got older I got to understand them better. Like Asterix navigating the bureacratic mess in the “Tasks of Hercules” by turning it on the bureaucrats. Or the French pretending not to know the place were Vergincetorix was defeated (which happened in that area). :slight_smile:

Here is some real footage from the Gallo-Roman wars, the only thing that seems fishy is that the Ghauls and Romans speak English as opposed to French and Latin :wink:

Asterix and Obelix: Take On Caesar - Fight Scene (English Version) - YouTube

2 Likes

asterix chez les bretons(the cartoon) is one of my favorite, “Le pudding à l’arsenic” is a verry good song Le Pudding à l'Arsenic (1968) - YouTube

2 Likes

“He must be too old for the potion to work.”
“I forgot to take to take the potion.”
everyone groans

I loved that :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

He was even funnier in the Bulgarian dub because his voiceactor was really on his A game. Especially during the final battle when he alone wants to fight “I will show them what for!” (in a toothless grandpa voice)

2 Likes