America at war! (1941– ) (Part 1)

British blast Japs in Burma

U.S. fliers also step up aerial assaults
By Darrell Berrigan, United Press staff writer

Government faces loss of Alcoa suit

Offensive dee-lights President Roosevelt

Washington (UP) –
President Roosevelt is dee-lighted by the Russian offensive in the Stalingrad area.

He told a press conference he had received an intimation a few days ago about the Red drive and was delighted about it.

Beyond saying the first syllable of “delighted” might be accented, he declined further comment.

1 Like

OPA increases price of coke on West Coast

Raw materials shortage laid to government

NAM blames scarcity on improper planning of war output

1 Like

PROCLAMATION 2571

Thanksgiving Day

“It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord.” Across the uncertain ways of space and time our hearts echo those words, for the days are with us again when, at the gathering of the harvest, we solemnly express our dependence upon Almighty God.

The final months of this year, now almost spent, find our republic and the nations joined with it waging a battle on many fronts for the preservation of liberty.

In giving thanks for the greatest harvest in the history of our nation, we who plant and reap can well resolve that in the year to come we will do all in our power to pass that milestone; for by our labors in the fields we can share some part of the sacrifice with our brothers and sons who wear the uniform of the United States.

It is fitting that we recall now the reverent words of George Washington, “Almighty God, we make our earnest prayer that Thou wilt keep the United States in Thy holy Protection,” and that every American in his own way lift his voice to heaven.

I recommend that all of us bear in mind this great Psalm:

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul; he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Inspired with faith and courage by these words, let us turn again to the work that confronts us in this time of national emergency: in the armed services and the merchant marine; in factories and offices; on farms and in the mines; on highways, railways, and airways; in other places of public service to the Nation; and in our homes.

Now, Therefore, I, Franklin D. Roosevelt, President of the United States of America, do hereby invite the attention of the people to the joint resolution of Congress approved December 26, 1941, which designates the fourth Thursday in November of each year as Thanksgiving Day; and I request that both Thanksgiving Day, November 26, 1942, and New Year’s Day, January 1, 1943, be observed in prayer, publicly and privately.

FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT
The White House
November 26, 1942

U.S. Navy Department (November 26, 1942)

Communiqué No. 202

South Pacific.
On November 25:

1. At 3 a.m., one enemy plane dropped bombs to the south of the airfield on Guadalcanal Island. Some personnel casualties were suffered.

2. There was no ground activity of importance on Guadalcanal.

3. Army “Airacobra” fighters harassed enemy ground positions.

And how could the government know that would be dragged into the world war despite their best efforts to stay out of it?

1 Like

Brooklyn Eagle (November 26, 1942)

TUNIS AIR FIGHTS RAGE
Drive on Bizerte gains along coast

Allies prepare knockout assault as Axis rushes reinforcements

For peace and victory – Thanksgiving Day, 1942

Allies smash 3rd naval force in Buna waters

Sink 2, possibly 3, Jap destroyers laden with troops

Navy officer and engineer accused of mulcting U.S.

Toni Jo reads Bible on last Thanksgiving

American diet lacks Vitamin B-2

Allies must fix war aims now, Willkie warns

Asks ‘grand coalition’ and understanding with Russia, China

Asks for ‘Friend Befree’

Los Angeles, California (UP) –
Declaring his belief that a person’s name should express something of the personality and philosophy in life, Romanian-born Febus Greenburg, 32, now an American citizen, has asked the court to change his name to “Friend Befree.” With his new name, he will join the Army.

Wife asks U.S. to release Valtin

South knew how to get around war shortages

Causes spy scare with his flashlight

City theaters to mark Pearl Harbor Day

Screen features in 1,000 theaters in the metropolitan area will stop for four minutes on the night of Dec. 7, the anniversary of Pearl Harbor, and a week’s campaign of war bond selling will begin.

Promptly at 9 p.m., the houselights will be dimmed and a speaker will ask for a moment of silence to be followed by a request for three cheers for the men in the armed services. The program is the contribution of the Theaters Division of the War Activities Committee of the Motion Pictures Industry.

Red Cross is prepared for Iceland air raids