Refugees, in Hollywood, tell of escapes from Nazis

One is a limpid-eyed French girl, easy to listen to, according to Paul
By Paul Harrison, NEA Service staff writer

4 Germans seized at Jersey camp

Air Corps takes over Atlantic City hotel

Eastern motorists pay more for gas

Roosevelt-Churchill report

Good work!

The Federal Bureau of Investigation did a fine job in rounding up eight Nazi saboteurs who had been landed from U-boats on the Atlantic Coast.

Someday, we hope, the story can be told in full. It’s as challenging to the imagination as any secret-service thriller of fiction. How did J. Edgar Hoover’s men pick up the trails of the invaders? How were their buried caches of bombs located on the lonely Long Island and Florida beaches? How were they caught so quickly? How were their confessions obtained? We don’t know the answers.

But apparently, the FBI is very much on the alert. Indeed, there was already much negative evidence of that in the fact that nearly seven months of war have produced few if any instances of what could be considered large-scale, organized sabotage. Certainly, there are many Axis sympathizers here who would do dirty work for Hitler, Hirohito and Mussolini if they could, just as it’s now proved that there were some who went to Germany to be specially trained for the desperate invasion from submarines. Their lack of success thus far is a tribute to the vigilance of those charged with protecting American war industries and defense installations against enemy agents and plotters.

If two U-boats could land parties of saboteurs, it’s only natural to wonder whether other groups haven’t landed and hidden themselves successfully. Mr. Hoover seems very sure that “we’ve got the whole crowd” – and we hope he’s right. But even the FBI might slip some time, and everything possible should be done to prevent and discourage such attempts in the future.

For one thing, increased Navy and Coast Guard activity to keep submarines away from our coasts seems to be needed. For another, the German agents now under arrest should be punished with all the promptness and severity that the law permits, as a warning that other stealthy enemies of the United States can expect no mercy.

1 Like

Servicemen – here’s how to keep ‘her’ loving you

Rules advanced for method soldier may follow to hold on to the girl ‘way back home’
By Ruth Millett

State is third in bond quota

Pennsylvania must raise $81,050,000 in July

Washington (UP) –
Secretary of the Treasury Henry Morgenthau Jr. today announced the state-by-state breakdown of the $1-billion July quota for war bond and stamp sales.

New York, with $171,596,000, has the highest quota, while Nevada, with $1,038,000, has the lowest. July’s quotas were based on sales in May, when the national quota was $600 million. June’s quota is $800 million and it probably won’t be reached.

Mr. Morgenthau pointed out that in areas where the war is closest, bond sales soared above prescribed quotas in May. Hawaiians, he reported, bought 503% more binds than their quota while Alaskans bought 148% of their quota.

Pennsylvania, which is the second ranking state in population, received a quota of $81,050,000 for July, third highest, while Illinois, third ranking in population, was second with $84,925,000.

Two ships launched

Kearny, NJ –
Two cargo ships were launched yesterday at the Federal Shipbuilding and Drydock ways, the second double launching in eight days.

Fit budget to bonds, women are urged

36,000 youths will register on fifth R-Day

County’s 168 stations open 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. for enrollment tomorrow

When civilian rubber supply goes, it’s gone

Scrap rubber dealer profiteering charged

New York World’s Fair gives out bad news

The Pittsburgh Press (June 30, 1942)

Panel backs Little Steel pay increase

Membership maintenance also won by union in report to WLB

Another R-Day –
County offers 36,000 youths

Registrations start slowly at 168 stations

‘Bombs can lick Nazis’ –
Sister of ‘Billy’ Mitchell back from Berlin prison

Parry

I DARE SAY —
Patriotism is not enough

By Florence Fisher Parry

Once to every man in the nation – and columnist – comes the moment to decide. I’m confronted with that choice right now. Shall I take the easy way and write with soft soap, or shall I cut with a rasping chisel and let the chips fall where they may?

I’ve been harping on rubber. Well, I’m going to keep on harping on it as long as we keep on being damn fool optimists when it comes to rubber conservation. It seems as though nobody actually realizes that this one leak in the dike can let loose upon us the floods of defeat. I guess I’m scared. Why shouldn’t I be? Not a soul I’ve talked to is actively worried.

Patriotism is not enough. We’ve tried it. It’s failing. It simply isn’t enough. All right then, let’s admit for the sake of argument that mortal man is ignoble – shameful thought – he has to have more of an inducement before his patriotism really gets working.

I offer a crass solution: I offer the inducement of money. Our government, always idealistic, thought that a penny a pound would be a fair price for scrap rubber, and the government, as usual, overestimated us.

A penny, a pound seems not to be enough. Don’t tell me, that in every American household and on every American farm, there wouldn’t be a more productive research for scrap rubber if we were offered, say, 5¢ a pound and in direct ratio to our national need, up to 10¢ a pound if need be.

Let’s face it. The American public has been pampered and babied and nursed and paid premiums for too long a time. Subsidies, doles, concessions, inducements – even a war won’t kill these diseases overnight. They’ve eaten into our bone and marrow and flesh and blood like a national trichiasis which no cautery can burn out at once.

Brass tacks

The realists, the unsparing realists, tell us that the American people are simply not coming through with their rubber as supposed; that thousands of pounds of it still repose in barns and attics and cellars and scrapheaps. Negligence accounts for part of this. Ignorance of our national peril for a part of it. But downright, deliberate, American enterprise accounts for the greater part of it.

Mr. Average Citizen says to himself:

I have 100 pounds of scrap rubber. Why shall I give this up for a penny a pound and get only $1 for it when if I hold back a little longer, I might get 2¢, 5¢, 10¢?

The junkman says to himself:

Why shall I kill myself, wear out my own tires, hire men with my own money, use up my time collecting scrap rubber and other scarcities when all I’m allowed for it is a measly so much a pound?

As for the farmer – and it’s on the farms that the real scrap is to be found – if you know farmers, you know that they’ve been brought up the hard way, the saving way. I know farmers’ wives who get up in the middle of the night and work in the fields long after dark in order to make a couple of extra pennies on their produce.

A farmer will go out of his way to make a few pennies. How much out of his way do you suppose he’d go for every pound of scrap rubber he could dig up, if he could get a fair price? I claim: There is no earthly way to uncover a hidden or neglected store of scrap rubber under the present setup, under the present national mood.

The American way

They tell us, the experts: If we lack tin, we’ll use substitutes of copper, aluminum, silver, and if need be, gold. Well, that recourse would be plenty costly, wouldn’t it? Yet the government stands ready to use those costly substitutes if the need becomes great enough. All right then, why not apply the same to rubber? It looks as though rubber will be scarcer than any other war commodity if this war lasts long enough.

Then we’ll have to pay more for it, that’s all.

Patriotism isn’t enough. We like to think it is. We like to brag about it. We spend millions propagandizing it. But until our back is to the wall and we are fighting for the most elemental kind of survival, not even we can be counted upon to yield up our basic instincts of enterprise. I firmly believe that the present campaign of the government to salvage scrap rubber has done little more than skim the surface.

Most auto drivers are “better fixed” for tires than they let on. Most Americans are driving ten times as much mileage and twice the speed necessary for the basic conduct of their normal lives. Most Americans need a practical incentive to spur them on to an all-out effort.

Our children have done a wonderful job of finding scrap rubber to sell for a penny a pound. It would be interesting to know just how much more they would be able to uncover for 2¢ a pound.

We are a peculiar breed of people, we Americans. We are a wasteful people, a generous people; other countries look on us as a prodigal people. But we possess one basic, wholly American trait – the love of striking a good bargain. We are born moneymakers.

Even patriotism isn’t enough to change all that overnight. We see the government spending billions for what it wants and that’s all right with us. We’re willing to be taxed through the nose.

But when the government goes out in the open market to buy scrap rubber from us, it simply goes against the grain to be paid so darn little.

Weeks of careful planning necessary before vessels of AEF can embark

Most difficult job over before gray-painted troopships sail
By Tom Wolf, Pittsburgh Press special writer

The article below is the first of two eyewitness reports on the secret sailing of an American combat force, bound for foreign service.

Senate passes fund for Army

Chamber races deadline for appropriations