America at war! (1941–) – Part 5

U.S. State Department (July 30, 1945)

761.94/7-2145: Telegram

The Japanese Ambassador in the Soviet Union to the Japanese Minister of Foreign Affairs

Moscow, July 30, 1945 — 10:31 p.m.
[Translation]
Secret
urgent

Re my telegram No. 1476, item 6

Worried by the delay in the reply from the Soviet side, I met with Lozovsky on the 30th at 5 p.m. and again conveyed our wishes. The following conversation took place:

SATO: I have come to receive your reply concerning our request for assistance by the Government of the Soviet Union to end the war which was presented to your Government on the 25th. Although it was arranged that we should be notified as soon as the reply was ready, since it is now Monday I have come to inquire about your reply.

LOZOVSKY: Since both Stalin, Chairman of the Council of People’s Commissars, and Molotov, People’s Commissar for Foreign Affairs, are now in Berlin, the reply will necessarily take several days to arrive. I regret to say that the reply cannot be delivered yet.

SATO: I fully understand the circumstances. However, the three countries – Great Britain, the United States, and China – issued a joint declaration against Japan on the 26th, pressing unconditional surrender on Japan. Unconditional surrender is, after all, out of the question for the Japanese Government. Our view remains the same as was stated on the 13th, at our meeting before the last. If it is possible to avoid such a formula, however, Japan desires to end the war, with an extremely conciliatory attitude, so long as Japan is guaranteed the nation’s honor and existence. For this purpose we asked the Soviet Government for assistance. I hope that Marshal Stalin, Chairman of the Council of People’s Commissars, will give special consideration to this point. Although it has not been possible to receive your reply, I shall be happy if you will notify Commissar Molotov that I have come to see the Acting People’s Commissar in order to receive the reply.

LOZOVSKY: I shall do my best to convey Your Excellency’s request to Molotov today by all means.

SATO: I shall be much obliged if you will kindly do so. The Japanese Government has decided to send the Emperor’s most trusted Prince Konoye as special envoy to Moscow. As I explained at previous meetings, the envoy will discuss a wide range of subjects as to how the Japanese Government should work to re-establish peace in the Far East and will seek your Government’s assistance. I shall also appreciate it if you will inform Mr. Molotov that my understanding is that Prince Konoye will be empowered to discuss a wide range of subjects with the Soviet Government. Also, the Japanese Government understands that various reservations and stipulations will be made by the Soviet Union in connection with the Japanese Government’s request for assistance.

LOZOVSKY: I shall arrange as you request immediately.

SATO: The point which I am concerned about is the possibility that the tripartite joint declaration may obstruct the assistance from the Soviet Government which is desired by the Japanese Government. However, since the top leaders of the Soviet Government are now in Berlin, I hope that they will give appropriate consideration to the removal of such obstruction.

LOZOVSKY: I promise again to convey your request.

Log of the President’s Trip to the Berlin Conference

Monday, July 30:

Secretary Forrestal, General Eisenhower, Admiral Cooke, Admiral Cochrane, General Clay, Commodore Schade and Captain E. B. Taylor, USN, had breakfast with the President. Later they conferred with the President, Secretary Byrnes and Admiral Leahy.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Generalissimo Stalin was still indisposed so there was no meeting of the Big Three today.57 The Foreign Secretaries had a very long session however.

1800: Ambassador Pauley called on the President.

1900: Dinner at the Little White House. Sergeant List played a number of Chopin selections – the President’s favorites – during the dinner hour.

The Syonan Shimbun (July 31, 1945)

Nippon forces take initiative against enemy on Burma front

Retreating foe blows up important bridge

Nippon’s weekend bag: 119 foe warplanes shot down, crippled

Enemy given taste of what awaits him

Attlee may request postponement of the Potsdam 3-power conference

Three foe warcraft sunk, damaged in Okinawa waters

Foe continues to be bled in Balikpapan

Editorial: Nippon stands firm

Germans must solve own food problem

Salzburger Nachrichten (July 31, 1945)

Strengstes Stillschweigen um Potsdam

Das Schicksal der Sudetendeutschen

Japan bedauert Kriegszustand mit USA

Australien kritisiert Potsdam

Nochmals SS-Kainszeichen

Musik in Amerika

L’Aube (July 31, 1945)

Eisenhower, Montgomery, Koenig et Joukov

ont décidé hier à Berlin de prendre à tour de rôle le commandement des armées alliées en Allemagne

Le Japon ne possède plus qu’un cuirassé…

…et qui serait échoué

U.S. State Department (July 31, 1945)

Truman-Rowan conversation, 10 a.m.

Truman’s quarters, 2 Kaiserstrasse, Babelsberg

Present
United States United Kingdom
President Truman Mr. Rowan

Meeting of the Technical Subcommittee on Disposition of the German Navy and Merchant Marine, 10:30 a.m.

Present
United States United Kingdom Soviet Union
Vice Admiral Cooke Rear Admiral McCarthy Admiral of the Fleet Kuznetsov
Mr. Russell

Byrnes-Molotov conversation, morning or early afternoon

Present
United States Soviet Union
Secretary Byrnes Foreign Commissar Molotov

According to Byrnes, he told Molotov on July 31 that there were three outstanding issues at the Conference: reparations from Germany, Polish administration of a part of the Soviet zone of occupation in Germany, and admission of Italy and the Balkan states to the United Nations. He states further that he submitted a proposal containing the only concessions which the United States was willing to make; that he asked Molotov to present “the three proposals” to Stalin so that they might be considered at the meeting of the Heads of Government on July 31; that the United States “would agree to all three or none”; and that he and Truman would leave for the United States the next day.

Eleventh plenary meeting, 4 p.m.

Present
United States United Kingdom Soviet Union
President Truman Prime Minister Attlee Generalissimo Stalin
Secretary Byrnes Foreign Secretary Bevin Foreign Commissar Molotov
Mr. Davies Sir Alexander Cadogan Mr. Vyshinsky
Mr. Bohlen Major Birse Mr. Golunsky
Mr. Cohen Mr. Maisky
Fleet Admiral Leahy

U.S. Delegation Memorandum

Potsdam, July 31, 1945, 4:00 p.m.

Points of Especial Interest to the United States

1. The 3-point Program of the Secretary of State:
(a) U.S. proposal in regard to German reparations (copy attached);
(b) U.S. proposal in regard to Poland’s western frontier (copy attached);
(c) U.S. proposal in regard to admission to the United Nations (copy attached).

2. Economic Principles to Govern Treatment of Germany
Decision on this question was put off until the question of German reparations was settled (copy of the draft under discussion is attached).

3. Use of Allied Property for Satellite Reparations or “War Trophies” (copy attached)
No action has yet been taken on the paper on this question circulated by the U.S. on July 25th.

4. Revised Procedure for Allied Control Commissions in Rumania, Bulgaria and Hungary
A new paper on this subject to be presented by the President (copy attached).

5. Transfer of German Populations from Czechoslovakia, Poland and, Hungary
A new paper on this subject to be presented by the President (copy attached).

6. Unrestricted Navigation of International Inland Waterways
The U.S. seeks agreement on the part of the Three Governments to the principles of unrestricted navigation of international inland waterways (a copy of the U.S. proposal on this subject, dated July 23rd, is attached).