By Ruth Millett

Monahan: A Song to Remember eye and ear-filling

Merle Oberon and C. Wilde paired in lavish color film at Harris
By Kaspar Monahan

Roosevelt articles leave White House

Ernie Pyle V Norman

Roving Reporter

By Ernie Pyle

OKINAWA (by Navy radio) – We camped one night on a little hillside that led up to a bluff overlooking a small river. The bluff dropped straight down for a long way. Up there on top of the bluff it was just like a little park.

The bluff was terraced, although it wasn’t farmed. The grass on it was soft and green. And those small, straight-limbed pine trees were dotted all over it.

Looking down from the bluff, the river made a tum and across it was an old stone bridge. At the end of the bridge was a village – or what had been a village.

It was not just a jumble of ashes and sagging matched roofs from our bombardment. In every direction, little valleys led away from the turn in the river.

It was as pretty and gentle a sight as you ever saw. It had the softness of antiquity about it and Japanese prints. And the sad, uncanny silence that follows the bedlam of war.

A bright sun made the morning hot and a refreshing little breeze sang through the pine trees. There wasn’t a shot nor a warlike sound within hearing. I sat on the bluff for a long time, just looking. It all seemed so quiet and peaceful. I noticed a lot of the Marines sitting and just looking too.

Looks like home

You could come from a dozen different parts of America and still find scenery on Okinawa that looked like your country at home.

Southern boys say the reddish clay and the pine trees remind them of Georgia. Westerners see California in the green rolling hills, partly wooded, paryly patchworked wirth little green fields. And the farmed plains look like our Midwest.

Okinawa is one of the few places I’ve been in this war where our troops don’t gripe about what an awful place it is. In fact, most of the boys say they would like Okinawa if it weren’t at war with us and if the people weren’t so dirty.

The countryside itself is neat and the little farms are well kept. So far, the Okinawa climate is superb and the vistas undeniably pretty. The worst crosses to bear are the mosquitoes, fleas and the sight of the pathetic people.

Fine group of poor roads

Most of the roads on Okinawa are narrow dirt trails for small horse-drawn carts. Then there are several wider gravel roads. One man aptly described it as “an excellent network of poor roads.”

Our heavy traffic of course has played hob with the roads. Already they are tire-deep in dust and troops on the road have mask-like faces, caked with dust.

Bulldozers and scrapers are at work constantly.

I’ve mentioned before about our fear of snakes before we got here. All the booklets and literature given us ahead of time about Okinawa dwelt at length on snakes. They told us there were three kinds of poisonous adders, all three being fatal. The booklets warned us not to wander off the main roads, not to stop under the trees or snakes would drop on us (as if you could fight a war without getting off the roads!). In some of the troop briefings, they had the Marines more scared of snakes than Japs.

Few snakes seen

Well, I’ve kept a close watch and made a lot of inquiries. And the result is that in the central part of Okinawa where we’ve been there are just practically no snakes at all.

Our troops have walked, poked, sprawled and slept on nearly every square yard of the ground. And in my regiment, for one, they have seen only two snakes.

One was found dead. The other was killed by a battalion surgeon, coiled into a gallon glass jar, and sent to the regimental command post as a souvenir. It was a vicious rattler, a type called habu.

Those are the only snakes I’ve heard of. There was a rumor that in one battalion they have caught and made pets of a couple of snakes, but I don’t believe it.

The local people sav the island was very snaky up until the middle 30s when they imported some mongooses which killed most of the snakes. But we haven’t seen any mongooses so we don’t know whether the story is true or not.

Correspondent John Lardner says his only explanation is that St. Patrick came through here once as a tourist and took all the snakes with him.

Stokes: Mountain warfare

By Thomas L. Stokes

Othman: Black and gray

By Fred Othman

Maj. Williams: Joining our forces

By Maj. Al Williams

The life of Harry Truman –
New U.S. President is descended from pioneer and frontier stock

Ancestors went from Kentucky to Missouri before Civil War
By Frances Burns, North American Newspaper Alliance

President’s last moments are told

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

In all that has been said about our great departed President, nothing has impressed me so much as the emphasis on his being, despite his affliction and his burdens, a kind and a cheerful and a humor-loving man.

It was the great privilege of George and myself to have entertained him, and to have observed at Miss Allen first hand his genuine love of laughter.

I mention this because in all the pictures I have ever seen of any of the dictators, not one has shown a smile or a trace of laughter.

They are enemies of human happiness. President Roosevelt was its friend.

Frisch switches lineup for opener

Russell to play left, Barrett center – Gables may start third tilt
By Chester L. Smith, Press sports editor

Roosevelt and Landis –
Majors embark missing two firm friends

Gets Sullivan Torphy –
Curtis sweeps women’s swim

Railroad pamphlet aids soldiers on furlough

Semi-invalid wins radio contest fortune

May have all or over lifetime
By Si Steinhauser

Bretton Woods backers adopt jobs slogan

Cite need of foreign loans to provide work
By John W. Love, Scripps-Howard staff writer

$2,500 per capita debt forecast

You should focus on writing down the interesting stuff like this instead of the millionth Ernie Pyle article.

Oberdonau-Zeitung (April 17, 1945)

Tagesbefehl des Führers an die Kämpfer der Ostfront

Berlin, 16. April – Am Sonntag hielten die im Westen angreifenden Angloamerikaner ihren Druck vor allem in Mitteldeutschland, in Franken und im Ruhrgebiet aufrecht. Heftige Gegenangriffe und hartnäckiger Widerstand unserer Stützpunkte verhinderten jedoch größere feindliche Bodengewinne.

Im Norden der Westfront blieb es auf holländischem Boden sowie zwischen Ems und Weser bei örtlich begrenzten, wenn auch harten Kämpfen. Obwohl der Feind an einigen Abschnitten des Küstenkanals und südlich Bremen erhebliche Kräfte ansetzte, warfen unsere Truppen vorgeprellte feindliche Spitzen zurück. Südlich Magdeburg, das selbst unter Artilleriestörungsfeuer liegt, mußte der Gegner vor unserem starken Gegendruck seine über die Elbe gesetzten Kräfte zurücknehmen, im Mündungsgebiet der Saale konnte er jedoch seinen Brückenkopf durch heftige Angriffe etwas vertiefen. In Mitteldeutschland verstärkten die Nordamerikaner ihren Druck gegen den Harz.

Nördlich Chemnitz konnten sie im Quellgebiet der Mulde noch weiter vorwärtskommen. Unsere Truppen säuberten dagegen den Westteil von Chemnitz von den am Vortag eingedrungenen feindlichen Kräften und schlugen bei Halle einen von etwa 70 Panzern unterstützten Angriff ab. Südlich Leipzig hielt sich der Feind nach seiner schweren Schlappe am Vortag zurück. Südlich der schmalen, jetzt bis an die Zschoppau reichenden Einbruchsschleuse behauptete sich unsere Stützpunktlinie gegen heftige Angriffe. Im Quellgebiet der Saale drängt der Feind gegen die Autobahn Bayreuth-Hermsdorf.

An der Südflanke der Westfront zwischen Bayreuth und Straßburg konzentrierten die Nordamerikaner ihre Angriffe auf die fränkische Schweiz, den Aich-Abschnitt, das Bergland östlich Heilbronn und den Nordwestrand des Schwarzwaldes. Obwohl ihre Panzerrudel in Franken den Raum beiderseits Erlangens und in der oberrheinischen Tiefebene den Unterlauf der Kinzig östlich Straßburg erreichen konnten, fingen unsere Truppen unter Abschuss zahlreicher Panzer die Stoßkeile in Gegenangriffen immer wieder auf. Im Ruhrgebiet lag Hagen im Mittelpunkt schwerer Kämpfe. Die von unseren Grenadieren verbissen verteidigten Ruinen der Stadt erreichte der Feind von Norden und Süden.