America at war! (1941–) – Part 4

Lot 60–D 224, Box 56: DO/ConvA/JSC Mins. 1–12

Informal minutes of Meeting No. 8 of the Joint Steering Committee

Washington, August 31, 1944, 12:15 p.m.
[Extract]
Present: Sir Alexander Cadogan and Mr. Jebb of the British group;
Ambassador Gromyko, Mr. Sobolev, and Mr. Berezhkov of the Soviet group;
Mr. Stettinius, Mr. Dunn, and Mr. Pasvolsky of the American group.
Mr. Hiss also present, as secretary.

At the beginning of the meeting Mr. Pasvolsky distributed copies of a memorandum entitled “List of Nations which Participated in Hot Springs, UNRRA and Bretton Woods Conferences,” as he had agreed to do at the last meeting of the Committee.

It was explained again that the distinction which has been made between United Nations and nations or authorities associated with the United Nations has been that the former is composed of nations which have actually declared war on the Axis and that the latter consists, first, of authorities (French Committee of National Liberation) and, second, of states which have actively assisted in the prosecution of the war but have not formally declared war. It was also brought out that a mere breaking of relations with the Axis does not, ipso facto, bring a state within the category of “associated nations.”

Ambassador Gromyko said that he understood that the Committee would regard this list as supplementary information but that there would be no attempt at this stage of the conversations to determine upon an actual list of the initial members of the proposed organization. He said further that it was his understanding that the joint recommendations to be prepared as a result of the present conversations will not contain an actual list of proposed initial members but will contain a general formula governing initial membership.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

[Annex]

List of nations which participated in Hot Springs, UNRRA and Bretton Woods conferences

United Nations

Australia Cuba
Belgium Czechoslovakia
Bolivia Dominican Republic
Brazil El Salvador
Canada Ethiopia
China Greece
Colombia Guatemala
Costa Rica Haiti
Honduras Norway
India Panama
Iran Philippine Commonwealth
Iraq Poland
Liberia Union of South Africa
Luxembourg USSR
Mexico UK
Netherlands USA
New Zealand Yugoslavia
Nicaragua

States or authorities associated with the United Nations in the war

Chile Iceland
Ecuador Paraguay
Egypt Peru
French Committee of National Liberation Uruguay
Venezuela

Observers
Danish Minister at Washington, attending in a personal capacity

Lot 60–D 224, Box 59: Stettinius Diary

Extracts from the personal diary of the Under Secretary of State

Ninth Day, Thursday, August 31, 1944

5:00 p.m. Meeting with the President.
I called at 5 o’clock on the President at the White House and presented to him the memorandum outlining the day’s developments.

The President seemed very much pleased with the Chinese plan and said he wished to study it carefully over the weekend at Hyde Park.

He inquired why Gromyko did not like the sentence he had added to the joint press release. I said I could not tell but apparently the Soviets wished the release to be as brief as possible and probably wished that it say as little as possible. I then presented to the President the proposed wire for him to send to Marshal Stalin on the “X” matter. The President seemed very pleased with the message and signed it while I was there. He added one sentence:

This would not prejudice later discussion of the question after the organization has been formed and the Assembly would have full authority to deal with the question at that time.

I handed the President the memorandum on Brazil, which had been prepared by Pasvolsky and Dunn. The President read this very carefully and I had quite a struggle with him on the matter. At first he was not impressed but finally swung around and said it would be satisfactory for us to go ahead along those lines. (The memorandum recommended that we not press at this time for a permanent seat for Brazil.) I told the President that the Secretary had a great personal interest in this matter and might wish to review it with him further next week. The President said this was very important as some day he might wish to propose a seat for a Moslem country on a permanent basis. Finally he said the Brazilian matter was a card up his sleeve.

I then presented to him the memorandum on France, recommending in effect that a seat be reserved for France which she could take on a permanent basis at the appropriate time. He immediately approved this procedure but stated that he wanted it to be thoroughly understood that any one of the Big Four would have a veto power in the matter, and that France could not take this seat at the Council unless and until the United States approved. I stated that was my understanding of the proposed procedure.

Telephone Conversation with Mr. Hull.
I then went into the old cabinet room to receive a phone call from Mr. Hull, and had a long talk with him. I apologized for not being able to review with him the memorandum on France and Brazil before I went to the White House. I reviewed both with him on the phone and he did not seem to understand thoroughly the memorandum on Brazil. After he has had an opportunity to study the memorandum I must ask him whether or not he is satisfied to leave the matter on that basis.

He seemed very satisfied with the memorandum on France.

Lot 60–D 224, Box 56: DO/ConvA/JSC Mins. 1–12

President Roosevelt to the Chairman of the Council of People’s Commissars of the Soviet Union

Washington, August 31, 1944

Personal for Marshal Stalin. I am much concerned at the reference made by your delegation at Dumbarton Oaks that the Soviet Government might desire to have the sixteen constituent republics considered for individual membership in the new international organization. Although it was made clear by your delegation that this subject would not be raised again during this present stage of the conversations, I feel I must tell you that to raise this question at any stage before the final establishment and entry into its functions of the international organization would very definitely imperil the whole project, certainly as far as the United States is concerned and undoubtedly other important countries as well. I hope you will find it possible to reassure me on this point.

This would not prejudice later discussion of the question after the organization has been formed, and the Assembly would have full authority to deal with the question at that time.

500.CC/8–3144

Memorandum of conversation, by the Secretary of State

Washington, August 31, 1944

The Soviet Ambassador called at my request. I discussed and earnestly urged the retention of the proposal that no nation could vote in a case in which it was interested and, secondly, I strongly emphasized the great importance of an elaborate discussion of economic problems. The other question which I discussed is not to be made of record. I complimented the Ambassador very highly on his excellent showing as head of his delegation. This was in all sincerity.

CH

The Pittsburgh Press (August 31, 1944)

NAZIS LOSE 400,000 MEN
Hitler’s crack forces destroyed in France, Eisenhower reveals

25 divisions wiped out, 18 badly cut up; enemy lose 3,545 planes and 20,000 vehicles

British across Somme

Allies capture Amiens, may overrun robot coast within 72 hours
By Virgil Pinkley, United Press staff writer

Allies in south captured resort city of Nice

German Army reels northward on Lyon
By Eleanor Packard, United Press staff writer

Bombs rip 19 more Japanese vessels

Allies strike from Kurils to East Indies

With fair share of breaks –
Allies can win in Europe in 35 days, experts say

After five years, even London Conservatives believe Hitler will be crushed in few weeks
By Virgil Pinkley, United Press staff writer

Two Balkan nations get Allied terms

Government due to seize struck mines

WLB hands district disputes to President
By Robert Taylor, Press Washington correspondent

americavotes1944

Truman opens campaign tonight

Lamar, Missouri (UP) –
The Democratic Party launches its active campaign for a fourth term tonight when its vice-presidential candidate, Senator Harry S. Truman, broadcasts to the nation from this little town of his birth.

All of Pittsburgh’s radio stations will carry the address at 10:30 p.m. ET.

Senator Truman said his address would be filled with “facts – which include plenty of reasons why the Democrats should be reelected.”

The occasion was Senator Truman’s official acceptance of his nomination as President Roosevelt’s running mate.

After 10 years of ‘white lie’ –
Columbo’s mother dies still believing him alive

Brothers of bandleader read parent letters ‘from son;’ $398 a month keeps coming in

I DARE SAY —
Last call for war

By Florence Fisher Parry

Army casualties rise to 284,838

Late July’s heavy fighting in northern France caused a sharp increase in U.S. Army casualties, Acting Secretary of War Robert P. Patterson disclosed today, swelling the total for all theaters to 283,838 through Aug. 13.

This represented an increase of 23,249 over the total reported a week ago, and Mr. Patterson said the increase was “largely reflected in the period of heaviest fighting in northern France near the end of July.”

Secretary Patterson’s announcement brought to 349,523 the number of casualties thus far announced for all services since Pearl Harbor, as tabulated below.

Army Navy
Killed 53,101 23,544
Wounded 142,686 20,701
Prisoners 44,408 4,466
Missing 44,643 9,642
TOTAL 284,838 58,353

Mr. Patterson also disclosed that the fighting in southern France, from the landings Aug. 15 through Aug. 24, had cost the Americans 1,242 killed or missing and 5,090 wounded – relatively light losses.

In Southeast Asia operations since January, more than 50,000 Japs have been killed, Mr. Patterson said. Jap dead counted in Central and South Pacific operations now total more than 115,000, he said.

Astaire in London

London, England –
Fred Astaire, movie star, arrived here yesterday “to do a little hoofing and sing a few songs” for U.S. troops in the European Theater.

Meat point values remain the same

Some cheese raised 2 points a pound

Gen. Eisenhower: Allied invasion 5 days ahead of schedule

‘Ike’ repeats war can be won this year

Montgomery, Bradley get equal status

Eisenhower reveals change in command

Robert Murphy given new diplomatic post

Anchor of Nazi Gothic Line captured by Allies in Italy

Polish troops take Pesaro on Adriatic coast; Nazis begin withdrawal to defense positions

Nazis abandon robot bases in North France

Fire flying bombs from Belgium

U.S. mediums hit ammunition dump

Bad weather cuts Allied air attacks