Work-or-else voting may begin today

Leaders hope to weed out amendments

Nazi attacks repelled by Allies in Italy

Germans suffer heavy losses

Package delivery results in rumor

False report spreads around the world
By Henry J. Taylor, Scripps-Howard staff writer

‘Ain’t exactly right to kill,’ says Yank who bagged 130

But Oklahoman allows Germans started it, so he shoots ‘em running, sitting, standing
By Robert Vermillion, United Press staff writer

MacArthur returns control to Philippines government

President Osmena appeals to legislators to reestablish Congress in Manila

MANILA, Philippines (UP) – Gen. Douglas MacArthur restored civil administration of the Philippines to the Commonwealth government today.

He solemnly proclaimed, “My country has kept the faith.”

He thus fulfilled a pledge given to the Filipinos when he withdrew his troops from Manila three years ago.

Standing among the ruins of burned and sacked Manila, Gen. MacArthur reviewed those three years of “bitterness, struggle and sacrifice,” and vowed that “by these ashes” the enemy “has wantonly fixed the pattern of his own doom.”

Gen. MacArthur’s historic action, broadcast throughout the world over the voice of Freedom Radio, was hailed by a cheering throng of civil and military officials gathered in the liberated capital.

Praises MacArthur

President Sergio Osmena, in accepting restoration of the civil government, appealed to all duly-elected members of the Congress who “have remained steadfast to their allegiance” to return to Manila and reestablish the legislative branch.

“I ask all my people to help reestablish law and order for a formal return so that in 1945 our request for independence will be granted,” President Osmena said.

The Philippines President warmly praised the American general for fulfilling his vow “to return” and drew a loud burst of applause when he predicted that “Gen. Douglas MacArthur will go down in history.”

Gen. MacArthur had told the Filipinos that the long struggle through the three dark years of Jap occupation was “not in vain.”

He said:

God has indeed blessed our arms. The great unleashed power of America, supported by our Allies, turned the tide of battle in the Pacific and resulted in an unbroken string of crushing defeats upon the enemy – culminating in the redemption of your soil and the liberation of your people.

My country has kept the faith.

Army of free men

He said the American soldiers came here as an army of free men that brought “your people once again under democracy’s banner… to rededicate your churches, long desecrated, to the glory of God and public worship… to reopen their schools… to till the soils and reap its harvests… to reestablish their industries… and to restore the sanctity and happiness of their homes, unafraid of violent intrusion.”

Gen. MacArthur continued:

On behalf of my government, I now solemnly declare: Mr. President, the full powers and responsibilities under the Constitution are restored to the Commonwealth, whose seat is here, reestablished according to law.

General’s bills arrive on Iwo

WITH THE 5TH MARINE DIVISION, IWO JIMA (UP) – A Marine runner dashed into the tented-foxhole of Maj. Gen. Keller E. Rockey three times with mail just in from ships offshore.

After the third delivery, the commanding general of the 5th Marine Division admitted his “big” mail haul had netted three bills, one business letter and invitations to two parties back in the States.

Yanks take island off South Luzon

Win control of water route

Fleet’s air attack on Tokyo blasts 233 planes, 31 ships

Great Jap aircraft plant 75 percent destroyed – nine carrier planes lost

House group raps spending of agencies

Says objectionable practices must stop

Barbara and Cary separated again

Editorial: Remove the handcuffs

Editorial: Italy takes over

Editorial: Keep the blood coming

Blood plasma collected by the Red Cross is defeating death wherever our men are fighting. Its value is beyond price.

Now whole blood, as well as plasma, is being flown in iced containers even as far as Iwo Jima. On that bitter island our casualties are appalling, but our death rate is relatively low.

Says one surgeon on the scene:

I know five men whose lives definitely were saved by whole blood and plasma. Plasma replaces the blood fluid, but not the cells.

Tell the folks at home to keep it coming.

Please note that last sentence. The Red Cross will show you how. Just telephone GRant 1680 for an appointment. Or drop in at the Wabash Building Blood Bank without an appointment.

Editorial: Turkey come-lately

Edson: Government now runs 44 big corporations

By Peter Edson

Ferguson: Resist now!

By Mrs. Walter Ferguson

Background of news –
Argentina

By Bertram Benedict

U.S. assures Americas of post-war aid

Plan for stockpiles is revealed

Gen. Arnold: Must maintain air force to avoid attack

U.S. will be first target in next war, general warns in reviewing year’s record