Magic word ‘Americansky’ saves life of U.S. airman

3-square-meal food plan studied by government

$750 million proposal would be available to low-income families

Foreign policy accounting asked

Democrats plan fund campaign

Editorial: Coal flow must continue

Editorial: How smart are we?

Editorial: Hitler is frantic

Hitler’s latest anniversary whine is that of a man who is cornered and knows it. His customary predictions of victory are faint, almost drowned out by his frank admissions of Germany’s desperate position.

It is not surprising that he admits so much. The Russian advance across eastern Germany and Gen. Eisenhower’s drive from the west cannot be covered up. There are too many millions of Germans within sound of the guns, and too many other millions of refugees. Not a single large city of the Reich, or major transportation center or industrial area, escapes bombing.

The most significant part of this strange outburst by Hitler – or whoever wrote it – is the hint that German morale is breaking. Fear is a contagious thing, and nobody knows this better than the Nazi masters of propaganda. When the leader is afraid, how can the people – even the goose steppers – stave off panic? What must be the effect on the faithful of this left-handed confession that so-called cowardice and sabotage are so widespread that German morale is now an “if” question:

If the front and the homeland are jointly determined to destroy those who renounce the law of self-preservation, those who act like cowards or those who sabotage the fight, then they will save the nation… The only thing that I should not be able to bear would be the weakness of my nation.

On the basis of these unwilling revelations, and the known chaotic conditions in the Reich, it is reasonable to hope the enemy is cracking up, but reasonable conclusions are not always accurate regarding Germany, as the Allies have discovered so often. The only safe assumption is that the German people will hang on until their armies are completely defeated in the field.

Edson: Kaiser, Higgins and Reynolds get most from RFC

By Peter Edson

Ferguson: Types

By Mrs. Walter Ferguson

Background of news –
Apologies to avoid censure

By Bertram Benedict

Monahan: Looking for a good movie? The town this week boasts of many

By Kaspar Monahan

Simms: ‘All for one’ policy mapped by Americas

Monroe Doctrine attracts support
By William Philip Simms, Scripps-Howard foreign editor

U.S. presents 10-point plan for Americas

Right to live decently stressed

Circus chiefs work against time to open show – then go to jail

Executives sentenced as result of fire remain tightlipped, seek to carry on
By Karl A. Bickel, Scripps-Howard staff writer

Ernie Pyle V Norman

Roving Reporter

By Ernie Pyle

IN THE MARIANAS ISLANDS (delayed) – Before starting out on my long tours with the Navy, I’ve decided to visit the famous B-29 Superfortress boys who are bombing Japan from here.

This came about largely because I have “kinfolk” flying on the B-29s, and I thought I’d kill two birds by visiting and writing at the same time.

So here I am, sitting on a screened porch in my underwear, comfortable as a cat, with the surf beating on the shore and a lot of bomber pilots swimming out front.

The B-29 boys, from commandant clear down to lowest enlisted men, live well out here. They are all appreciative of their good fortune, and I’ve not heard a dissenting voice. Of course, they would all rather be home, but who wouldn’t?

The man I came to visit is Lt. Jack Bales, another farm boy from down the road near Dana, Indiana. Jack is a sort of nephew of mine. He isn’t exactly a nephew, but it’s too complicated to explain. I used to hold him on my knee and all that sort of thing. Now he’s 26, and starting to get bald like his “uncle.”

Ready for career

Jack’s folks still live just a mile down the road from our farm. But Jack left the farm and went to the University of Illinois and got educated real good, and was just ready to become a famous lawyer when the war came along and he enlisted.

He spent a year as a private and then got a commission and now he’s a first lieutenant and flew over with the B-29s from Nebraska last October.

When I telephoned Jack and said I’d be out in about an hour to stay a few days, he said he would put up an extra cot in his hut for me.

When I got there the cot was up, with blankets and mattress covers laid out on it. Jack had told the other boys he was having a visitor, and on the assumption it was a woman, Jack had six eager volunteers helping him put up the cot. When I showed up, skinny and bald, it was an awful letdown, but they’ve all been decent about it,

Record for missions

Jack lives in a steel Quonset hut with 19 other fliers. Most of them are pilots, but Jack is a radio man. He and another fellow have charge of all his squadron’s radio. He doesn’t have to go on missions except now and then to check up.

But upon arriving I learned, both to my astonishment and pride, that he had been on more missions than anybody in his squadron. In fact, he’s been on so many that his squadron commander has forbidden him to go for a while.

He doesn’t go on so many because he enjoys it. Nobody but a freak likes to go on combat missions. He goes because he has things to learn, and because he can contribute things by going.

Another mission or two and he will have had his quota authorizing him to go back to rest camp for a while. But he seems to show no strain from the ordeal. He’s pretty phlegmatic, and he says that sitting around camp gets so monotonous he sort of welcomes a mission just for a change.

Little chance to peek

During flight Jack sits in a little compartment in the rear of the plane, and can’t see out. In all his missions over Japan he’s seen only one Jap fighter. Not that they didn’t have plenty around, but he’s so busy he seldom gets to a window for a peek. The one time he did, a Jap came slamming under the plane so close it almost took the skin off.

Like all combat crewmen, Jack spends all night and at least half of each day lying on his cot. He holds the record in his hut for “sack time,” which means just lying on your cot doing nothing. He has his work so organized that it doesn’t take much of his time between missions, and since there’s nothing else to do, you just lie around.

Eight out of 10 married

The B-29 fliers sleep on folding canvas cots, with rough white sheets. Sleeping is wonderful here, and along toward morning you usually pull a blanket over you.

Each flier has a dresser of wooden shelves he’s made for himself, and several homemade tables scattered around. The walls are plastered with maps, snapshots and pinup girls – but I noticed that real pinup girls (wives and mothers) dominated over the movie beauties. In fact, eight of the 10 men in the hut are married.

Although the food is good here, most of the boys get packages from home. One kid wrote and told his folks to slow up a little, that he was snowed under with packages.

Jack has had two jars of Indiana fried chicken from my Aunt Mary. She cans it and seals it in mason jars, and it’s wonderful. She sent me some in France, but I’d gone before it got there.

Jack took some of his fried chicken in his lunch over Tokyo one day. We Hoosiers sure do get around, even the chickens.

Othman: Ah! Inventors!

By Frederick Othman

Maj. Williams: Summary

By Maj. Al Williams

Blind veterans oriented to lead a useful life

By Frederick Woltman

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

My husband, George, who reads the political news, tells me that a Congressman named Gallagher has made quite a startling statement. This Congressman says that if the Republicans aren’t careful, they might not have any party in four years.

My goodness! I think this would be a terrible country without Republicans.

Who would make up all the Roosevelt jokes? Who would keep track of Eleanor’s travels? Elections wouldn’t be any fun at all without Republicans. Why, Roosevelt would just become president automatically.

Wait a minute – what am I so concerned about? – he’s been doing that for sixteen years. Anyway, I got interested in this fellow, Gallagher, so I checked up on him. And what do you know! He’s a Democrat.

‘Quiet’ is the word for hats

Paris styles fit New York mode
By Judy Barden, North American Newspaper Alliance

Millett: Slacks ‘aren’t for girls’ because boys want them

By Ruth Millett

Suits are ‘definitely feminine’

Organization is fashion keynote
By Betty Byron

Morgenthau: Huge exports needed to aid employment

Treasury head backs Bretton Woods plan

Latin American demands pose U.S. question

Economic, industrial commitments studied