By Mrs. Walter Ferguson

Background of news –
Guerrilla warfare

By Bertram Benedict

Baptists oppose Vatican relations

Southern group petitions Senate

Editorial: Race relations are no longer sectional

By the Religious News Service

Tomorrow is Race Relations Sunday. The observance is chiefly intended to focus the minds of church members on the Negro-White problem, no longer sectional, but national in scope. The war has helped to make clear that the welfare of the minority is also the welfare of the majority. This basic tenet of democracy is expressed in Lincoln’s famous phrase, “A nation cannot exist half slave and half free.”

The Negro is the chief victim of racial prejudice in America. An encouraging development on the home front has been the formation of scores of interracial state, county, and city groups to promote better understanding between Whites and Negroes and to help end anti-Negro discriminations. Nevertheless, fear persists that even as racial injustices continue, despite the sacrifices of America’s soldiers in the struggle for human rights, so may the post-war period witness a calamitous wave of racial bigotry.

This would be not merely a blow to American prestige abroad, but a threat to national security and well-being. There is a ferment of freedom throughout the world. Do intelligent Americans expect Negro fellow citizens who have shared the hardships and dangers of the battlefront to return, mutely and submissively, to the old, hated evils of segregation, calumny, and ostracism? Not if they remember the race disturbances at the close of World War I, when the Negro was being forced back “where he belonged.”

To meet the possible insurgence of race hatred, American churches have called on their memberships to undertake now a crusade for interracial justice, for a truer democracy, for a vital, all-inclusive brotherhood. The fear of evil consequences, however, should not be the primary incentive. To give the Negro the status to which his high achievements, his loyalty, his good faith and generous nature entitle him is an obligation that rests heavily upon the conscience of this nation.

Poll: 11 million women plan to work after war ends

Total is about same number employed throughout U.S. before Pearl Harbor
By George Gallup, Director, American Institute of Public Opinion

Lower waistlines hot tip on fashions for summer

Dress institute director says bathing suits will be brief as postage stamp
By Lenore Brundige

Stokes: Dangerous delay

By Thomas L. Stokes

Simms43

Simms: In the balance

By William Philip Simms

WASHINGTON – United Nations circles here – especially some of the smaller members – are awaiting the outcome of the Big Three meeting with an anxiety only faintly tinged with hope.

As seen from here, Marshal Stalin and President Roosevelt hold most of the cards. Between them, they will largely decide the political issues upon which the fate of Europe and the future peace of the world so largely depend.

Prime Minister Churchill, a realist, will shape Britain’s course according to the way the Stalin-Roosevelt hands are played.

As Russia today is by far the most dominant power in the Eastern Hemisphere, Stalin can make or mar the prospects for international collaboration, in line with Dumbarton Oaks. Already a Moscow-made design for a post-war Europe is pretty far advanced. In its making, however, neither Britain nor America thus far has been consulted.

U.S. has plan too

In the Western world, the United States is the strongest power. Without it – just as without Russia – the proposed new League of Nations, built around the present grand alliance, hardly can hope to be effective. Yet it, too, has a plan for post-war collaboration. A plan which conforms to the principles of the Atlantic Charter.

Today everything depends on whether the Russian and the American these can be made to dovetail. Russia, by unilateral action, has already taken most of Europe under her wing. If she stands pat, if she refuses to permit the liberated peoples of Europe to have a say in their own political and territorial future, it may well wreck the new league.

But, it is pointed out, President Roosevelt went to the Big Three parley loaded down with ammunition. Gov. Dewey and Sen. Vandenberg made it plain that the Republican Party, no less than the Democrats, is behind the proposed peace plan.

He has everything it takes to convince Marshal Stalin and Prime Minister Churchill – if they want to be convinced – that the United States is thoroughly prepared to go as far as Russia and Britain to enforce a just and durable peace.

The big unanswered questions – but which everyone hopes the Black Sea conference will answer – today are:

• Will President Roosevelt make full and effective use of his ammunition?

• Will Marshal Stalin meet him halfway? (Prime Minister Churchill unquestionably will do his utmost to effect a close relationship but if the attempt fails, Britain may draw closer to the Soviet Union.)

Situation reversed

It has now become a habit on both sides of the Atlantic to blame any lack of world collaboration progress on American uncertainty. Britain and Russia, these circles say, don’t know whether they can “depend on” the United States. Maybe the Senate won’t ratify.

Well, the situation is now reversed. The President, the Senate, the House of Representatives, the Republican candidate for the presidency, the national elections last November – all demand an immediate, definite, iron-bound united nations or league to safeguard against aggression.

Now, people ask, are Russia and Britain prepared to play ball with America? Do they, like the United States, want a just peace, democratically arrived at and maintained, if necessary, by force, in line with the formula laid down at Dumbarton Oaks?

The Black Sea rendezvous of the Big Three should tell the tale. If it doesn’t, the outlook will be most unpromising.

Love: Youth can help

By Gilbert Love

Eight publishers who spurned new song hit almost driven to drink – ‘Rum and Coca-Cola’

Catchy calypso tune scores surprise – hard to learn words help sheet sales
By James Thrasher

Intelligence centralization plan proposed

Efficiency is aim of Donovan program

Roosevelt’s Blaze may start fire in priority inquiry

Three Army officers heard by Senators – Bridges wants full-dress probe

Fifth Army patrols active in Italy

Two Columbia Gas directors resign

Disagree over policy of integration

New clothing plan to start March 1

Low-cost apparel to return to stores

Roosevelt to skip Paris invitation

PARIS, France – President Roosevelt will not visit Paris after the Big Three Conference because of the fact that Gen. Charles de Gaulle was not invited to the Allied meeting.

Last fall, French officials in Washington were instructed to find out whether the President would regard an invitation to come to Paris favorably. They reported that he would, and the White House later let it be known that an informal invitation had been received.

It was believed at the time of Prime Minister Churchill’s visit here Nov. 10-11 that the President would come early in the new year. Later, it was believed that he would make the visit immediately after the three-power conference.

In view of the fact that Gen. de Gaulle was not invited, however, Americans feel that the reception of the President’s visit in official quarters would be less cordial than if it were postponed for a few months.

U.S. State Department (February 10, 1945)

President Roosevelt to Marshal Stalin

Yalta, February 10, 1945
Top secret

My Dear Marshal Stalin: I have been thinking, as I must, of possible political difficulties which I might encounter in the United States in connection with the number of votes which the Big Powers will enjoy in the Assembly of the World Organization. We have agreed, and I shall certainly carry out that agreement, to support at the forthcoming United Nations Conference the admission of the Ukrainian and White Russian Republics as members of the Assembly of the World Organization. I am somewhat concerned lest it be pointed out that the United States will have only one vote in the Assembly. It may be necessary for me, therefore, if I am to insure whole hearted acceptance by the Congress and people of the United States of our participation in the World Organization, to ask for additional votes in the Assembly in order to give parity to the United States.

I would like to know, before I face this problem, that you would perceive no objection and would support a proposal along this line if it is necessary for me to make it at the forthcoming conference. I would greatly appreciate your letting me have your views in reply to this letter.

Most sincerely yours,
FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT

President Roosevelt to Prime Minister Churchill

Yalta, February 10, 1945
Top secret

Dear Winston: As I said the other day, I am somewhat concerned over the political difficulties I am apt to encounter in the United States in connection with the ratification by the Senate of the Dumbarton Oaks agreement because of the fact that the United States alone among the three great powers will have only a single vote in the Assembly. I understand from our conversation that you would have no objection if I found it necessary to work out some way of giving the United States additional votes in order to insure parity. I am writing you this letter since I know you understand so well our political situation in the United States and I hope in reply to this letter you can give me your agreement to this suggestion if I find it necessary for our public opinion to make some proposal along those lines at the forthcoming United Nations Conference.

I am enclosing a copy of the letter which I have written to Marshal Stalin on the same subject.

Most sincerely yours,
FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT

Log of the Trip

Saturday, February 10, 1945

0800: White House mail was dispatched to Washington via a Joint Chiefs of Staff courier who left Livadia this morning.

1300: Lunch at Livadia. – The President, Mrs. Boettiger, Miss Harriman, Admiral Leahy, Justice Byrnes and Admiral Brown.

1500: Justice Byrnes left Livadia to return to Washington. He traveled by air in company with the Joint Chiefs of Staff party.

1600: The President presented specially engraved Fourth-Term Inaugural Medallions to the Prime Minister, Marshal Stalin, Mr. Eden and Mr. Molotov, and a book entitled “Target Germany” to Marshal Stalin. This book had been prepared by General Arnold and contained photographs showing damage wrought in Germany as the result of bombings by our strategical air forces.

1630: Marshal Stalin and Mr. Harriman conferred with the President. The conference was held in the President’s study. Mr. Bohlen was also present.

1650: The Seventh Formal Meeting of the Crimea Conference was convened at Livadia. Present:

For the U.S. For Great Britain For the USSR
The President. The Prime Minister. Marshal Stalin.
Mr. Stettinius. Mr. Eden. Mr. Molotov.
Admiral Leahy. Mr. Cadogan. Mr. Vyshinski.
Mr. Hopkins. Mr. Clark Kerr. Mr. Maisky.
Mr. Harriman. Mr. Jebb. Mr. Gousev.
Mr. Matthews. Mr. Bridges. Mr. Gromyko.
Mr. Bohlen. Mr. Wilson. Mr. Pavlov.
Mr. Hiss. Major Birse.
Mr. Foote.

The meeting adjourned at 2000.

2030: The President, Mr. Stettinius and Mr. Bohlen left Livadia for the British Headquarters (Vorontsov Villa) where they dined with the Prime Minister, Mr. Eden, Major Birse, Marshal Stalin, Mr. Molotov and Mr. Pavlov as the guests of the Prime Minister.

U.S. Navy Department (February 10, 1945)

CINCPOA Communiqué No. 253

Army Liberators of the Strategic Air Force, Pacific Ocean Areas, bombed Iwo Jima in the Volcanos on February 8 (East Longitude Date). Our aircraft were attacked by three enemy fighters of which one was destroyed. One of our bombers was lost.

Eleventh Army Air Force Liberators bombed Kataoka on Shumushu in the Kurils on February 8. All of our aircraft returned safely.

On the same date, Corsairs of the 4th Marine Aircraft Wing attacked targets on Babelthuap in the Palaus and destroyed a bridge on Yap in the Western Carolines.

Marine Hellcats and Corsairs bombed and strafed enemy installations on Rota in the Marianas on February 8.

CINCPOA Communiqué No. 254

Rockets bearing Venturas of Fleet Air Wing Four struck radio and light­house installations at Kokutan Zaki at the northern tip of Shumushu in the Kurils on February 8 (East Longitude Date).

More than sixty tons of bombs were dropped on Iwo Jima in the Volcanos by Seventh Army Air Force Liberators operating under the Strategic Air Force, Pacific Ocean Areas, on February 9. On the following day, StrAirPoa Army Lightnings swept the island and destroyed four bombers and three fighters on the ground and damaged another bomber on the ground. An enemy destroyer was strafed by our aircraft. One of our fighters was lost in the attack.

Warehouses and buildings on Babelthuap in the Palaus were damaged by fighters of the 4th Marine Aircraft Wing on February 9. On the same date, harbor installations on Yap in the Western Carolines were set ablaze by Marine aircraft.

Venturas of Fleet Air Wing One bombed the airstrip on Puluwat in the Western Carolines on February 10.

Press Release

For Immediate Release
February 10, 1945

Navy Department steps up activity in preparing to prosecute war crimes

RADM Thomas L. Gatch, Judge Advocate General of the Navy, announced today that the Navy Department is expanding its participation with the Army in preparing for the prosecution of war criminals.

An augmented staff, including representatives of the Navy, the Marine Corps and the Coast Guard, is being assigned under LCDR James J. Robinson, USNR, Director of the Navy Division of the War Crimes Office, to assemble evidence, interview witnesses and prepare trial briefs in the War Crimes Office in Naval and other cases involving cruelties, atrocities and acts of oppression against members of the United States armed forces and other Americans.

“Bringing to justice international gangsters and their underlings has always been a special concern of the United States Navy," RADM Gatch said in describing the Navy’s purposes in the expansion of this activity.

He continued:

In fact, the Navy was recreated after the Revolution to wipe out the Barbary pirates in order to protect American lives and property from those ransom racketeers.

The Navy has always been a principal instrument for maintaining international law and order. We believe in justice. We shall do everything within our power to see that the evidence collected is true evidence and that the trials will be just. The accused will be given full opportunity to know the charges leveled against him and a fair chance to present his defense.

In gathering evidence of war crimes our chief interest is the Navy’s desire to protect its own and to serve all other Americans. To do this we believe we should be prepared so that the trials of war criminals can be held as speedily as conditions will permit.

The War Crimes Office was established last fall by Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson in cooperation with Secretary of the Navy James Forrestal. It is under the general supervision of Maj. Gen. Myron C. Cramer, the Judge Advocate General of the Army, and is directed by Brig. Gen. John M. Weir. The office is located in the Munitions Building. The Navy Division, under LCDR Robinson, reports directly to RADM Gatch, the Judge Advocate General of the Navy, and to Brig. Gen. Weir.

The Navy has been at work assembling data regarding war crimes before and since the organization last year in London of the United Nations War Crimes Commission.

Early last year, RADM Gatch, acting in conjunction with FADM (then ADM) Ernest J. King, USN, Chief of Naval Operations, designated LCDR Robinson to serve as the Navy’s representa­tive in war crimes matters.

The work of the War Crimes Office, in which the Navy Division participates with the Army, includes the following activities:

• Investigation of alleged war crimes, securing evidence and statements of witnesses.
  • Organization of evidence and preparation of files of alleged war criminals.
  • Drafting charges and specifications, and trial briefs.
  • Assisting in trials and other details of prosecution.
  • Organization to carry out sentences.