Background of news –
Few rewards for CIO

By Bertram Benedict

Monahan: Keys of the Kingdom an inspiring film

Gregory Peck as Father Chisholm heads excellent cast at Fulton
By Kaspar Monahan

Going My Way nominated for seven coveted Oscars

Crosby, Fitzgerald named for top acting awards – other films proposed

HOLLYWOOD (UP) – The heartwarming motion picture, Going My Way, whose star, crooner Bing Crosby, pulled the highest box office returns of any actor in 1944, today won the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ nominations for seven coveted Oscar awards.

For his performance in the picture, Barry Fitzgerald became the first actor in Academy history to be nominated for awards for both the best performance by an actor and the best performance by a supporting actor.

Fitzgerald and Crosby, who was also nominated for the Oscar for best actor, played the roles of two Catholic priests in Going My Way.

Cited for seven others

The picture was also nominated as best movie of the year, the best written screenplay and the best original motion picture story. Its director, Leo McCarey, was nominated for achievement in directing and the tune “Swinging on a Star” was nominated best original song.

Nine thousand members of the film industry will participate in final balloting February 10 to select the winners, to be announced March 15.

‘Gaslight’ honored

The psychological chiller Gaslight was also nominated as best picture of the year, and its stars, Ingrid Bergman, Charles Boyer and Angela Lansbury, were named as best actress, best actor and best supporting actress, respectively.

Swedish Miss Bergman was nudged out of the award last year by newcomer Jennifer Jones, who was mentioned this year as a candidate for supporting honors for her role in Since You Went Away, nominated as one of the best pictures of the year.

Claudette Colbert, one-time Oscar winner, was nominated for a second for her starring role in the same film. Monty Wooller was nominated for supporting honors.

Others nominated

Other contestants for picture of the year was Double Indemnity starring Barbara Stanwyck as a cold-blooded murderess, who was nominated for what would be her first award as top actress, and Wilson, whose star, Alexander Knox, was nominated as top actor.

Two-time Oscar winner Bette Davis was nominated for her starring role in Mr. Skeffington and Greer Garson, for her role in Mrs. Parkington.

Cary Grant, who has never won an Oscar, was cited for his work in None But the Lonely Heartand Ethel Barrymore was nominated for her supporting role in the same picture.

Also named for supporting honors were Hume Cronyn for The Seventh Cross, Clifton Webb in Laura, Aline MacMahon in Dragon Seed and Agnes Moorehead in Mrs. Parkington.

Nominations for directing achievement went to McCarey, Billy Wilder for Double Indemnity, Otto Preminger for Laura, Alfred Hitchcock for Lifeboat, Henry King for Wilson.

“The Trolley Song” from the film Meet Me in St. Louis and “Long Ago and Far Away” from Cover Girl were among 12 nominees for best original song of the year.

Work-or-else bill delayed by hearings

Senate to hold closed sessions

2 brothers killed, G.I. returns to U.S.

Stokes: Wanted – Facts

By Thomas L. Stokes

Othman: Crazy doings

By Frederick C. Othman

Maj. Williams: Maneuverability

By Maj. Al Williams

Archbishop asks ‘Big Three’ to be trustful

Advises organization which admits enemy
By Antonia H. Froendt

Convoy to China reaches Kunming

OWI’s message in 165th week

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

Well, ladies, in case you haven’t already heard it, let me warn you – they say that men’s beards are about to sweep the country. And with the shortage of vacuum cleaners, it’s possible.

It seems the fad started with our submarine crews and soldiers stationed in northern climes and now it’s spreading to civilians. In fact, a salon for the exclusive care of beards has just been opened in New York. I hope it doesn’t catch on.

Somehow, I can’t picture Sinatra crooning “Amor, Amor” through a bushy beard, and you know what Crosby would do. He’d dye his red, blue, green and yellow and wear it for a shirt.

Why, if the men grow beards, they’d all look alike. It’ll be terrible. I won’t be able to tell George from Charles Boyer.

Wait a minute; that’s not so terrible.

Gabardine rivals Corduroy

Popular fabrics in sportswear
By Maxine Garrison

Millett: Don’t write falsehoods to G.I. husband over there

Sparing him worry is commendable but he’ll learn facts someday
By Ruth Millett

Majors veer to early action on czar

Owners favor another parley on election

Bankers favor international financing unit

Bretton Woods plan would be modified
By Elmer C. Walzer, United Press financial editor