America at war! (1941–) – Part 4

Editorial: Stampede!

By Ernie Pyle

The Treasury Department asked Ernie Pyle to write a special article for use in the Sixth War Loan Drive. The most appropriate place to publish it, it seems to us, is this editorial column. Here it is:

6warloan.jpg

This little piece comes more in the blood-bank category than in the bond-buying one, yet if you’ll apply it to your bond-buying, it may help save a great deal of blood.

This fall I came home from France on a ship that carried 1,000 of our wounded American soldiers. About a fourth of them were terribly wounded stretcher cases. The rest were up and about. These others could walk, though among the walking were many legs and arms missing, many eyes that could not see.

Well, there was one hospitalized soldier who was near death on this trip. He was wounded internally, and the Army doctors were trying desperately to keep him alive until we got to America. They operated several times, and they kept pouring plasma and whole blood into him constantly, until they ran out of whole blood.

I happened to be in the head doctor’s cabin at noon one day when he was talking about this boy. He said he had his other doctors at that moment going around the ship typing blood specimens from several of the ship’s officers, and from unwounded Army and Navy officers aboard. They were doing it almost surreptitiously, for they didn’t want it to get out that they needed blood.

And why didn’t they want it to get out? Because if it had, there would have been a stampede to the hospital ward by the other wounded men, offering their blood to this dying comrade. Think of that – a stampede of men themselves badly wounded, wanting to give their blood!

If they, who had already given so much, were willing to give even more for their fellow men, isn’t it the least we can do for those fellow men still fighting to stampede to the bond counter?

Editorial: Capital risked means jobs

Editorial: Unfair to politicians?

Editorial: Hold the line

Edson: United Nations propose court in peace charter

By Peter Edson

img

Ferguson: Job just started

By Mrs. Walter Ferguson

The Brooklyn Red Cross chapter announces that the war’s end in Europe will make no difference to the number of hours that volunteer workers are giving now. The women have said they’d stuck to their jobs – and they will.

Heaven help us all to make the same decision. Women have done well during the emergency period, but their work is just started. Peace building will call for stupendous efforts by everyone. Rosie the Riveter may get back into her kitchen apron, but let’s hope she won’t put on mental blinders again.

The end of the war will not mean that peace is won. Something better than an armistice must come out of this one.

After World War I, the men wanted to get back to normalcy – the kind that left women looking after domestic matters and men attending to governments.

A large part of our activity during all that time was concentrated on an effort to obtain a few political and economic rights.

One fact is now clear: Unless women and men work as hard to build a stable country and a stable peace, our greatest activities will be just about as effective as a squirrel’s journey in a cage. He travels in a circle. So will we, only our circle leads to another war.

There’ll be no excuse for any woman to be idle or bored in the future. Community improvement must go on; efforts to restore moral values should be increased.

Government business must become a part of our homework. We’ve all volunteered for the duration and the duration won’t be over until the world is safe from war, pestilence, famine and tyranny.

Background of news –
Post-war public works

By Frank P. Huddle

Official vote count leaves two contests up to soldier ballots

Results still undecided involve posts in Congress and State Legislature
By Kermit McFarland

McKay: Blossom Time pleases at Nixon

By Ed McKay

U.S. prepared to meet all competition

Low tariffs seen spur to commerce

Stokes: More about Texas

By Thomas L. Stokes

Othman: Jap ersatz

By Frederick C. Othman

Love: We can be thankful

By Gilbert Love

The forgotten front –
French send back Nazi prisoner to retrieve much-needed rifle

Front along Atlantic is like Valley Forge
By Tom Wolf

To the top of the world –
Steele: Human caravan winds up mountains to Tibet with supplies for China

Small but sturdy porters carry civilian wares from India through blockade
By A. T. Steele

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

Well, the Christmas shopping season is underway here in New York and if I were Gen. MacArthur and the rest of the boys, I’d stay down in the nice, quiet Philippines until this thing blows over.

I never thought I’d be a war correspondent but this morning I witnessed the battle of Macy’s basement. A contingent of Brooklyn women launched a frontal assault on the pantie-girdle counter but found it strongly defended by the Bronx 176th Street Infantry who fought bitterly from behind previously prepared positions.

One sniper from Flatbush managed to pick off two girdles before he was located and brought down. She retreated hastily to the ladies’ room to regroup her left flank, it having been partially exposed.

When the smoke of battle cleared away, it was discovered that one carnation had three floorwalkers blasted out from under it.

Millett: G.I. Joes forgets how when he goes shopping

By Ruth Millett

Annual guessing game –
Battle for the bowls is on again; choices narrow to few teams

By Jack Cuddy, United Press staff writer

Type of discharge governs job rights

Surprise! Radio man denies he was gagged

And he thinks close wasn’t
By Si Steinhauser