By Thomas L. Stokes

Our Fighting Generals –
U.S. generalship is improving; Nazis surprised at Yank skill

By Thomas M. Johnson, special to the Pittsburgh Press

‘G.I. Dillinger’ who fled in plane caught with girlfriend by FBI

Couple captured in cocktail lounge

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

George and I have just arrived in Chicago en route to our eastern War Bond appearances. I thought at first that Chicago men had become very fresh. I must have turned around and smiled half a dozen times before I realized it was the wind whistling at me.

We paid a flying visit to the famous Pump Room where I used to gather my inside information during the political conventions. The talk was all about the reelection of Illinois’ handsome Governor Green. That man is to politics what Lana Turner is to sweaters. He has Robert Taylor’s eyes, Alan Ladd’s smile, Cary Grant’s chin and a necktie like my husband’s.

In fact, George is a little upset about my feelings for Governor Green. My goodness, I’ve heard of making husbands green with jealousy, but this is the first time I ever made one jealous with Green.

All-America preview –
Midwest again provides crop of grid stars

G.I. Bill more liberal than many realize

Fighting men to hear Army-Navy grid game

Uncle Sam sees to broadcasts
By Si Steinhauser

Radio invasion from Mars stirs South Americans

Riot calls and rumors of revolution swamp Santiago’s police headquarters

Radio rights asked

Washington –
Scripps-Howard Radio, Inc., asked the Federal Communications Commission today for authority to build a new television station in Washington and a new FM station in Cincinnati. Scripps-Howard now operates Standard Station WCPO in Cincinnati.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 9500
Extension of Trust Periods on Indian Lands Expiring the During Calendar Year 1945

For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
November 14, 1944

By virtue of and pursuant to the authority vested in me by Section 5 of the Act of February 8, 1887 (24 Stat. 388, 389), by the Act of June 21, 1906 (34 Stat. 325, 326), and by the Act of March 2, 1917 (39 Stat. 969, 976), and other applicable provisions of law, it is ordered that the periods of trust applying to Indian lands, whether of a tribal or individual status, which, unless extended, will expire during the calendar year 1945, be, and they are hereby, extended for a further period of twenty-five years from the date on which any such trust would otherwise expire.

This order is not intended to apply to any case in which the Congress has specifically reserved to itself authority to extend the period of trust on tribal or individual Indian lands.

FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT
THE WHITE HOUSE,
November 14, 1944

Völkischer Beobachter (November 15, 1944)

Die Entstehung des Morgenthau-Plans

Aufschlussreiche Enthüllungen über den Berserker Roosevelt
Von unserem Berichterstatter in Portugal

Auf Leben und Tod

Führer HQ (November 15, 1944)

Kommuniqué des Oberkommandos der Wehrmacht

Die Engländer sind gestern im Raum südöstlich Helmond zu dem erwarteten Angriff angetreten. Ihre Vorbereitungen dazu waren bereits seit längerer Zeit von uns beobachtet und unter Feuer gekommen. Auf breiter Front sind heftige Kämpfe entbrannt.

Südlich Diedenhofen zerschlugen unsere Grenadiere vollends den feindlichen Brückenkopf und machten mehrere hundert Gefangene. Bei Gravelotte sowie beiderseits des Seille stehen sie in heftigen Abwehrkämpfen. Deutsche Panzerverbände vereitelten im Kampfgebiet zwischen der Nied und Mörchingen erneute Umfassungsversuche des Feindes. 22 nordamerikanische Panzer wurden vernichtet.

Trotz hartnäckiger Abwehr unserer Stellungstruppen konnte der Gegner bei erneuten Angriffen zwischen dem Rhein-Marne-Kanal und Baccarat Gelände gewinnen. Beiderseits des oberen Doubs nahm der Feind seine Angriffe westlich Mont-Beliard wieder auf. Es entwickelten sich heftige Stellungskämpfe.

Von unseren Festungen und Stützpunkten im Westen wird weiterhin Artilleriekampf und Stoßtrupptätigkeit gemeldet.

Das Stadtgebiet von London und der Raum von Antwerpen waren erneut das Ziel verstärkten Fernfeuers.

In Mittelitalien wiesen unsere Grenadiere zwischen Modigliana und der Romagna, nordöstlich Forli die fortgesetzten britischen Angriffe vor neuen Stellungen ab.

Trotz schlechten Wetters und großer Geländeschwierigkeiten verlaufen unsere Marschbewegungen auf dem Balkan und im finnisch-norwegischen Grenzgebiet wie vorgesehen.

Unter dem Schutze schwerer britischer Seestreitkräfte versuchte der Feind erneut auf der Insel Milos in der Ägäis zu landen: die tapfere Besatzung schlug ihn wieder zurück.

Im Raum östlich Budapest setzten die Bolschewisten auf breiter Front ihre Durchbruchsangriffe mit starken Infanterie- und Panzerkräften fort. Gegen in schwerstem Feuerausharrende Panzer und Grenadiere konnten sie keine entscheidenden Raumgewinne erzielen. An einzelnen Einbruchsstellen wurde die Front durch schwungvolle Gegenangriffe wieder geschlossen.

Bei aufklarendem Wetter führten die Sowjets südlich Ungvár zahlreiche Angriffe bis zu Regimentsstärke. Sie wurden trotz starker Artillerie- und Schlachtfliegerunterstützung vor unseren Stellungen zerschlagen. 20 Panzer der Bolschewisten wurden dabei vernichtet.

An der übrigen Ostfront kam es zu keinen größeren Kämpfen.

Supreme HQ Allied Expeditionary Force (November 15, 1944)

FROM
(A) SHAEF FORWARD

ORIGINATOR
PRD, Communique Section

DATE-TIME OF ORIGIN
151100A November

TO FOR ACTION
(1) AGWAR (Pass to WND)

TO (W) FOR INFORMATION (INFO)
(2) FIRST US ARMY GP
(3) ADV HQ 12 ARMY GP
(4) FWD ECH (MAIN) 12 ARMY GP
(5) AEAF
(6) ANCXF
(7) EXFOR MAIN
(8) EXFOR REAR
(9) DEFENSOR, OTTAWA
(10) CANADIAN C/S, OTTAWA
(11) WAR OFFICE
(12) ADMIRALTY
(13) AIR MINISTRY
(14) ETOUSA
(15) SACSEA
(16) CMHQ (Pass to RCAF & RCN)
(17) COM Z APO 871
(18) SHAEF MAIN
(REF NO.)
NONE

(CLASSIFICATION)
IN THE CLEAR

Communiqué No. 221

Allied forces attacked in the sector east of Weert against moderate opposition. The village of Nederweert-Eind was freed and bridgeheads were established over the Noorderplas Canal and the Wessem Canal. In the Metz sector our forces have repulsed counter-attacks and have increased pressure on the city from the north and south. Bridgeheads across the Moselle River in the Koenigsmacker and Thionville areas have been joined. Our units have reached Freching and Kuntzig, and patrols are in the vicinity of Lemestroff. Other forces have taken Orny and are in the Bois de l’Hopital. We have reached the Destry–Baronville area northwest of Dieuze. Northeast of Baccarat, gains up to approximately two miles were made against light opposition. East of Bruyères, the enemy was forced to withdraw more than a mile and Granges-sur-Vologne and several nearby villages were freed. In the Belfort sector, limited gains were made against stiff resistance along the flooded Doubs River. Weather severely restricted air operations.

COORDINATED WITH: G-2, G-3 to C/S

THIS MESSAGE MAY BE SENT IN CLEAR BY ANY MEANS
/s/

Precedence
“OP” - AGWAR
“P” - Others

ORIGINATING DIVISION
PRD, Communique Section

NAME AND RANK TYPED. TEL. NO.
D. R. JORDAN, Lt Col FA Ext. 9

AUTHENTICATING SIGNATURE
/s/

U.S. Navy Department (November 15, 1944)

Press Release

For Immediate Release
November 15, 1944

Adm. Ingram succeeds Adm. Ingersoll as Commander In Chief, Atlantic Fleet

Adm. Jonas H. Ingram (USN), former Commander of the Fourth Fleet, assumed his new duties as Commander in Chief, U.S. Atlantic Fleet, today at a brief ceremony on board his flagship at the Washington Navy Yard.

Earlier in the morning Adm. Royal E. Ingersoll (USN), relinquished his command as Commander in Chief, Atlantic Fleet, and departed to assume his new duties as Commander, Western Sea Frontier, in which he will have the status of a Deputy Commander in Chief, U.S. Fleet, and Deputy Chief of Naval Operations.

Both ceremonies were held on the quarterdeck of the flagship, with the ship’s company and staff at attention. The Admirals read their respective orders and the flag of the former Commander in Chief was hauled down and the flag of the new Commander in Chief was hoisted to the mainmast.

Visitors during the ceremonies included VAdm. Richard S. Edwards (USN), Deputy Chief of Naval Operations; VAdm. Patrick N. L. Bellinger (USN), Commander Air Force, Atlantic Fleet; and RAdm. F. L. Reichmuth (USN), Commandant, Washington Navy Yard.

Press Release

For Immediate Release
November 15, 1944

Details of surface bombardment of Marcus Island

An advanced base in the Western Pacific – (October 9, delayed)
In a surprise dawn assault against another of Japan’s inner island defenses, U.S. Navy surface units today heavily bombarded enemy shore installations on strategic Marcus Island.

It was the first American surface ship bombardment of the island, which lies 989 miles southeast of the Japanese mainland and 727 miles northeast of the U.S.‑held Mariana Group.

Units of the Third Fleet, cruisers and destroyers commanded by RAdm. Allan E. Smith (USN) of Fairfax, Virginia, lobbed heavy caliber shells into the enemy positions intermittently during the 15‑hour attack period. Shore battery fire directed against the American warships was moderate. Most of the island defense batteries were silenced during the engagement.

There was no damage to the American ships.

In a continuous procession, the warships steamed past the island and hammered defense positions with accurate 8‑inch and 5‑inch rifle fire. Several fires were started and hits were scored on the enemy radio station, operations and administration buildings, and other shore installations.

The attack was conducted in three phases and was concluded with a night operation during which the American warships used smoke screens and night emergency pyrotechnics.

Air spotting revealed that the enemy garrison sustained considerable damage in the battering assault by the big Navy guns.

There was unrestricted visibility and an unlimited ceiling, but no Jap aircraft was encountered.

RAdm. Smith’s flagship during the engagement, a veteran of numerous Pacific bombardments, is commanded by Capt. Henry Hartley (USN) of Bladensburg, Maryland. Other cruisers and destroyers supported the assault with sustained gunfire.

The Pittsburgh Press (November 15, 1944)

Nazi lines crack at Metz

Yanks cut escape gap to seven miles; British strike in Netherlands
By J. Edward Murray, United Press staff writer

First Army Yanks complete of delays in gift packages

Parcels apparently held back in favor of Christmas presents for troops in Europe
By William H. Stoneman

Naval planes blast 14 more Jap vessels

U.S. pincer drive perils foe on Leyte

Churchill: War to last long

Talks to Commons on return from Paris