America at war! (1941–) – Part 4

The Pittsburgh Press (September 28, 1944)

ALLIES OPEN DRIVE BELOW ARNHEM
British seek to blast path into Reich from forks of Rhine River

200,000 Germans face trap in western Holland; Canadians take Calais citadel
By Virgil Pinkley, United Press staff writer

Churchill doubts 1944 victory

Help of more U.S. troops may be needed, Prime Minister says
By J. Edward Murray, United Press staff writer

1,000 bombers rip Nazi war plants

Nazi fighters try to swamp raiders

Peleliu-based planes rip Japs

Other bombers pound enemy on Java

British subs sink 32 Jap ships

americavotes1944

parry3

I DARE SAY —
Fortune’s favorites

By Florence Fisher Parry

Our Commando Kelly sent me a copy of his book, One Man’s War. It certainly deserves our reading, for what he did adds one more incredible legend to the lore which our G.I.’s are providing history and literature.

From the news we hear today of the battlefronts all over the world, we know now that these G.I.’s will indeed be “Government Issue” for a long, long time to come. Their winter uniforms and equipment have just got to them at the Siegfried Line! With what mingled feelings will they receive them there!

Thinking of them, we can well blush with shame at our own facile assumption that the war was over all but for the shouting. And now I hope that we will be spared a word in the combat reports that has become so overused lately! The word “fanatical.” The Nazis are offering “fanatical” resistance, the Japs are displaying “fanatical” valor. It is an overworked word. The lost British paratroops at Arnhem could be said by the Germans to have offered fanatical resistance. Let’s at least try to be realistic and not claim for ourselves alone the virtues of valor, self-sacrifice and faith in our cause, however mistaken that of our enemy may be.

Now that we are recovering, if shamefully from our delusion that Germany would be a pushover once we reached her borders, we can, I hope with better grace, set ourselves to our war tasks at home.

We can give our blood to the Red Cross Blood Bank.

We can give our time to the last moment of it we can spare in some definite war work. There are literally millions of Christmas boxes to be filled and sent overseas within the next two weeks.

The hospitals are crying for nurses’ aides. This service is one of the most needed of all.

Work!

We are in midst of a very vital presidential campaign. What is done in the next six weeks by the citizen workers of both parties can well determine the fate of this country for years and years to come.

It is not enough for those who need to register to do so; it is not enough for each to cast his vote. Every citizen must make of himself a voluntary field worker.

There are other home-front musts. It is evident that there has been a serious letdown in gas conservation. Heavier and heavier becomes the traffic on our highways, more and more pleasure drives are indulged. The occupants of the autos traveling into town each morning on our two boulevards average about one and a half to a car. The other morning, I kept count. To every car with two or three occupants, there were seven being driven into town with only the driver – no passengers. A year ago, there was some evidence of car sharing. Not now. The buses and streetcars are bulging with standees while motorists in empty cars race by them.

The black market has become a problem. I hear presumably responsible citizens talk unconcernedly and with no effort at concealment of where and how they procure all the gas they want.

Service

Meantime, God knows it is time for us to face ourselves, for we have had an easy time of it compared with any home-front human being the world over. We have suffered the hardship of separation and suspense. Some of us have suffered that ultimate agony of separation by death, but our ordeal is nothing, nothing, compared with that which has been endured by the people of the rest of the world.

After nearly three years we are still living a peacetime life. We are looked upon as the darlings of the gods. Why we should be so specially singled out for fortune’s favor, I don’t know; but the solemn suspicion assails me: Can it be that we are being saved for what’s to come?

The world will be impoverished, but we, not have suffered impoverishment, will be called upon to give of our bounty. We will be called upon to bind up, not the nation’s, but the world’s wounds: “to care for him who has borne the battle, and for his widow and his orphan; and to do all that shall achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.”

Can it be that this is the solemn task we are being saved for?

This being so, we must be ready.

americavotes1944

Ickes to resign Cabinet post if Dewey wins

Washington (UP) –
Secretary of the Interior Harold L. Ickes notified Governor Thomas E. Dewey today that he would resign his Cabinet post “effective if, as and when the incredible comes to pass and you become the President.”

In a letter to Mr. Dewey, Mr. Ickes said it became apparent that he had annoyed the Republican nominee.

Mr. Ickes said Mr. Dewey should have known “the primary school fact that the cabinet of an outgoing President automatically retires with its chief.”

He added:

But your campaign utterances indicate that if there is one thing you dislike more than Harold Ickes, it is facts.

Mr. Ickes concluded:

Now that [my resignation] is off your mind, Mr. Dewey, please throw away the red herrings that you have been using and get down to honest issues.

WAVE bill signed

Washington –
President Roosevelt has signed the bill permitting WAVES, SPARS and Women Marines to serve in Hawaii, Alaska and in all Americans bases in this hemisphere, the White House announced today. Under the new law, they can serve in the specified territories if they volunteer.

Wage fight rages –
Steel industry cites high pay of workers

Status quo is urged until after war

U.S. to study evidence on Mrs. Browder

Will take whatever action is ‘justified’
By Charles T. Lucey, Scripps-Howard staff writer

Many efforts made to aid paratroopers

But Nazis covered river with fire
By Richard D. McMillan, United Press staff writer

Waves of fighter-bombers plaster Metz fortresses

American Long Toms open up on bastions after attack by Yank Thunderbolts
By Collie Small, United Press staff writer