America at war! (1941–) – Part 3

USA-Präsident als Unruhestifter in Südamerika –
Roosevelts Provokationspolitik bloßgestellt

U.S. Navy Department (January 4, 1944)

CINCPAC Press Release No. 218

For Immediate Release
January 4, 1944

Heavy bombers of the 7th Army Air Force attacked Wotje and Taroa on January 2 (West Longitude Date). Approximately 30 enemy fighters were encountered in each strike. Our bombers shot down eight Zeros at Wotje and probably destroyed five more. At Taroa two Zeros were shot down and two more probably destroyed.

Medium bombers of the 7th Army Air Force raided Jaluit Atoll on January 2. Damage and losses to our planes for the day were slight. Ten enemy planes bombed our installations on Apamama on the night of January 2 with slight damage. Two men were killed.

For Immediate Release
January 4, 1944

Reveal Names of Two Destroyers Previously Announced As Lost

Two U.S. destroyers which were announced yesterday as lost now may be identified as the USS LEARY (DD-158) and the USS TURNER (DD-648). The USS LEARY, a 1,090‑ton destroyer completed in 1919, was announced in Navy Department Communiqué No. 494 as having been torpedoed and sunk in the North Atlantic on December 24, 1943.

The USS TURNER, a 1,700‑ton destroyer commissioned April 15, 1943, exploded and sank six miles off Sandy Hook, New Jersey, yesterday morning. Its loss was announced by 3rd Naval District HQ, New York City.

Cdr. James Ellsworth Keyes, USN, 37, of 11621 16th Ave., South, Seattle, Washington, was the Commanding Officer of the USS LEARY.

Cdr. Henry Sollett Wygant Jr., USN, 37, of 26th and Lincoln St., Camp Hill, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, com­manded the USS TURNER.

Both Commanding Officers are listed as missing in action.

Notifications have been sent by the Navy Department to the next of kin of all casualties aboard the USS LEARY and the USS TURNER.

The Pittsburgh Press (January 4, 1944)

U.S. BOMBERS HIT NORTHWEST GERMANY
Heavy attack also batters French coast

18 planes lost in raid on Reich; Berlin still afire from raid
By Edward W. Beattie, United Press staff writer

8th Army advances –
Fortresses batter key Nazi plant

Ball-bearing factory hit in Turin area
By C. R. Cunningham, United Press staff writer

Gen. Arnold: Epic victory near in skies

‘For enemies, end has begun,’ air chief asserts

Gen. Arnold’s historic report –
Army Air Force ready to hit Axis ‘on all fronts,’ and ‘will not falter’

Kavieng attacked –
Raiders blast 4 Jap vessels

Americans score hits on cruisers, destroyers
By Don Caswell, United Press staff writer

Labor unrest tossed back at Roosevelt

AFL chief challenges Marshall to prove ‘source’ charges

parry2

I DARE SAY —
Affirmation

By Florence Fisher Parry

A new dateline. A new year. A new life, different from any we have known. Not a turn of the year or the century, not any calendar thing. A new existence for us. If this were not so, then indeed what has just passed and what is being endured now is a tale told by an idiot.

Few left who do not sense this prospect. Few left whom the year just passed has not changed. Even the most modest man must acknowledge that there has been a growth in him. He has taken on stature and an inner dignity and depth. New stirrings agitate his spirit. New fervors possess his heart. He wants to deserve the world that is being so fought for; he wants to rise to the circumstance of his boy’s return.

Never on earth have we at home attained, before, such value in the eyes of our sons. They have been thinking of us as creatures deserving what they have been doing for us. If we are mothers, we have become, to them, almost holy memories. If we are wives, we have become infinitely desirable. If we are sweethearts, we have become beautiful. If we are fathers, we have become strong and noble, examples to live by when peace restores them to home.

From every fighting area word comes that all that seems to possess the hearts of our men is the longing to return home.

Be it ever so humble…

The new language

So, we have much need of improvement! We have much need of “building more stately mansions. O my soul!” It will not be enough to prepare the feast and anoint the heads of the homecoming ones. We must somehow expand to the dimensions of their dreams.

I do not know how we can do this. There will be bound to be a falling off… Me, I am frightened at the prospect; you too are frightened, are you not? How, we ask ourselves, can we appear to be the creatures they have been adorning and dignifying with their homesickness?

We will have to give up this superhuman striving, for we are but finite, and we will fail if we set for ourselves too high a goal. We must fall back upon the little human ways, the little humble possible ways. There are many of these open to us, difficult but not beyond us. It is a good time to assemble these intentions, for the New Year has descended, the very time for resolutions.

Therefore, be it resolved:

I will – if I am a father of a returning son – I will be as good a citizen as I know how to be. I will share in the preparation for a good community and a good opportunity for my son to come home to. I will do what I can for the war; but I will not neglect the small complexities of my business or profession, for upon the structure of these activities and securities the success of the peace will depend.

I will do what I can to keep well and young and able; for when he returns, he will have need of me. There has been a gap in his peacetime life which cannot be reckoned by calendars, and I must be prepared to help him bridge that gap. I must not commit one act or use the influence of any thought or opinion that could, if indulged by others too, retard victory. And I must do all possible to inform myself of the new language he will speak when he returns, so that we will not be strangers, but closer than ever.

Tact above all

I will – if I am the mother of a returning son – I will remember that he will be very changed; much of a stranger, divided from me now and evermore by differences which even love can never erase. He will be restless and let down and even disillusioned after the buildup he has given us, while he was away and homesick. I must try to be reconciled to this, and understand it and have compassion and tact to meet it.

I must not expect him to be interested in the little trifles of our existence here while he was away. I must not exact of him any recollections that do not spring spontaneously from his need to recall them. I must be self-effacing and unjealous and let him see that he is free, a man who has earned the right to walk and think alone.

I will – if I am his wife – give him abundantly of my love; pity him secretly but never let him suspect my pity; be ready to meet his moods and detachments and long silences. He will have fallen into war ways; he will have his rough moments, some of my reticences and refinements will seem to him affectations, for his life has been basically and brutally lived and he has come home forever scarred by the memory of unspeakable things.

Above all, I will not hold myself finer or more fastidious than he at any time; And I will not mind too much to find that I have lost a part of him that will never be restored to me.

Papers pledge cooperation in bond drive

Director confident goal of $14 billion will be reached

50 feared dead in ship blast

Navy to make public destroyer victims

In Washington –
Housewives find luxuries crowd out essential items

Shortage of infants’, children’s wear, poor quality of necessary articles cited in survey

Better stories of war urged

Play-by-play account of fighting proposed

Simms: Polish future at stake with Red successes

Premier to confer with Roosevelt and Hull on situation
By William Philip Simms, Scripps-Howard foreign editor

Invasion staff headquarters will be London

Montgomery in England to direct British Army in assault

Raids ‘soften’ Jap-held isles

Knox indicates invasion of Marshalls near

Yanks batter naval base 1,300 miles from Tokyo

Army Catalinas from Aleutians bomb Paramushiru around midnight New Year’s Eve

Carter Glass 86 today, predicts victory in 1944

Washington (UP) –
Carter Glass (D-VA), the oldest member of the U.S. Senate, turned 86 today, firm in the belief that in 1944 he will again see peace – “after complete victory by the Allies” – and again be well enough to take his seat in the Senate chamber.

The Lynchburg editor-statesman, whom President Roosevelt dubbed the only “unreconstructed rebel,” planned to observe the anniversary quietly, with only a few of his cronies dropping in his hotel suite to pay their respects ands share a birthday cake.

Mr. Glass has been recuperating from a critical illness, and his wife said physicians had ordered a quiet day to help him fight a slight cold.

28 men, 2 women indicted in conspiracy to aid Nazis

Yanks hammer railway yards in Burma raid

RAF night attack blasts repair centers at Rangoon

Editorial: Get a rule book

Editorial: Soldiers are men