America at war! (1941–) – Part 3

Ernie Pyle V Norman

Roving Reporter

By Ernie Pyle

London, England – (by wireless)
Well, here we are again in dear old London town. At least they still call it London, although you can hardly see the city for Americans. But before going into that, I’ll tell you about our trip up here.

The morning I left Italy, I had to get up at dawn to catch the plane. Sgt. Harry Cowe, who was a part of the gang I had been living with, somehow managed to get both himself and me up right on the dot.

It was so early I hadn’t wanted or expected anybody else to get up. But while I was still rubbing my eyes, in came Pvt. Donn Jordan with a beautiful breakfast tray of juice, eggs, bacon, toast and coffee, just as though we weren’t at war at all.

But that wasn’t all. Our Italian boy, Reif (pronounced “Rafe”), who ordinarily didn’t come to work till 8 o’clock, showed up just as it was starting to get daylight.

Reif was a grand kid, smart and agreeable and full of good humor, and I’m sure he had never been so happy in his life as when working in our little madhouse. He had come voluntarily to help rassle my luggage out to the airport.

And last but not least, in another minute here came prancing in my tiny little friend, Lt. Maxine Budeman, the nurse-dietitian from the nearby Army hospital. She is from Kalamazoo, Michigan, and everybody calls her Goldilocks. She is just shoulder-high and weighs approximately 90 pounds.

A couple of months ago, when I was wasting away with anemia, Goldilocks kept sneaking me eggs and steak from the hospital. We had a lot of fun joking with the nurses about my meager hemoglobin and my one corpuscle, and it was Goldilocks who undoubtedly saved my life with her surreptitious calories.

A goodbye kiss for Goldilocks

At the airport, Rief lugged in my bedroll and bags for me and I got all set for the plane. Then we started to say goodbye. We four were standing beside a command car. A group of officers and soldiers stood nearby, idly watching us, while they waited for their planes. Our little goodbye sequence must have given them a chuckle or two.

First, I shook hands with Harry. And then, since pretty nurses don’t come into one’s life every day, I managed to inflict upon Goldilocks a goodbye kiss that must have shaken Rome. And then I turned to shake hands with Reif.

But Reif, instead, grabbed me by both shoulders and in true continental fashion implanted a large Italian smack, first on my right cheek and then on my left. Our audience was astonished, and so was I. And though slightly embarrassed, I must admit I was also sort of pleased. There are swell people in any nation, and I know that in our crazy little group there was a genuine fondness for many of our Italian friends.

Thus buoyed and puffed up by this international osculation, I floated onto the plane and we were off. On the way out, we flew right past the magnificence of Vesuvius, but I was feeling badly about leaving and didn’t even want to look out, or look back, so I didn’t.

Dusk over the Atlas Mountains

We flew most of the day and far into the night. Crossing the Mediterranean, I knotted myself up on top of a pile of mailsacks and slept half the trip away.

And then, in a different plane, over western Algeria and Morocco, I got myself a blanket, stretched out on the floor and slept for hours. The sun was just setting when I woke up.

I’ve written many times that war isn’t romantic to the people in it. Seldom have I ever felt any drama about the war or about myself in two years overseas. But here in that plane, all of a sudden, things did see romantic.

A heavy darkness had come inside the cabin. Passengers were indistinct shapes, kneeling at the windows to absorb the spell of the hour. The remnants of the sun streaked the cloud-banked horizon ahead, making it vividly red and savagely beautiful.

We were high, and the motors throbbed in a timeless rhythm. Below us were the green peaks of the Atlas Mountains, lovely in the softening shroud of the dusk. Villages with red roofs nestled on the peak tops. Down there lived sheep men – obscure mountain men who had never heard of a Nebelwerfer or a bazooka. Men at home at the end of the day in the poor, narrow, beautiful security of their own walls.

And there high in the sky above, and yet part of it all, were plain Americans incongruously away from home. For a moment, it seemed terribly dramatic that we should be there at all amid that darkening beauty so far away and so foreign and so old.

It was one of those moments impossible to transmit to another mind. A moment of overpowering beauty, of the surge of a marching world, of the relentlessness of our own fate. It made you want to cry.

americavotes1944

pegler

Pegler: On the election

By Westbrook Pegler

New York –
Some of us seem to think that our British and Russian friends, as a matter of politeness, tact and good sense, ought to put out of their minds entirely the subject of the presidential election in the USA this year or, if that is impossible, to say nothing about it.

This is asking too much, because this decision of the American people is very important to them as well as to us.

Naturally, they favor President Roosevelt, because he has been extremely cooperative since the fall of France and before, and they know him well and are pretty sure what he will do.

Tom Dewey they know only by reputation, and he might have some new ideas which would trim some of Mr. Roosevelt’s open-handed generosity to the rest of the world and might want to get positive commitments from our allies as to what we are to get back for what we give.

He is definite where Mr. Roosevelt is vague and would want to put something down in writing in place of the emotional, political generalities exchanged hitherto by men whose word is not necessarily binding on their peoples after they die or lose office, such as Mr. Churchill’s gaudy promises of everlasting cooperation given at an hour when things were going very badly for Britain and he had to do a job of salesmanship.

Communist intrusion

This interest is not an intrusion in our domestic politics, except in the case of the Communists. Naturally, they will raise a fuss for the President because he is so good to them on the home front, permitting them to dirty up our labor relations, and they can be sure that if and when Governor Dewey should take over, he would give the entire government a thorough delousing of the fellow travelers.

Nor do I accept as a fact the pretense that the international Communist organization has been dissolved or that Stalin has abandoned the old custom, admitted in our treaty of recognition, of maintaining agents among us to promote his interests. It is just that this is a normal condition among us, encouraged by the New Deal for all these years, and not a special impudence in this election year.

The Communists are gluttons for humiliation. Stalin boots them around, slams doors on them and leaves them out on a limb every few weeks, but they love the guy with the suffering submission of a drunkard’s dog and whimper for more of the same.

So far, we have always handled this Communist interference like an easy infield out, and their noisy support of Mr. Roosevelt’s more outrageous moves, such as the Montgomery Ward case, probably makes more votes for Governor Dewey than for their man.

Churchill’s experience

Churchill is one who really knows what foreign interference is. He was a victim of it himself back in the ‘30s when his anti-Nazi potboilers pecked out in the role of journalist had earned him a high priority on Hitler’s blacklist and he couldn’t get anything to do in the government lest this be taken by the Führer as a deliberately unfriendly act. He is in no position to try anything like that on us in this campaign, but there is no reason why an Englishman shouldn’t say he hopes President Roosevelt will be reelected.

That we should be sensitive about such expressions will seem inconsistent to other peoples who see us now in Italy fumbling around trying to invent some new form of government for the lower part of the boot and hear our pundits muttering about the re-education of the Germans toward democracy and freedom which they hate. We are even going to try the miracle of unifying France, whether with a club or through bribery we haven’t yet made up our minds.

Just so they say what they have to say in their own countries, our gallant allies should have our permission to sound off at will. And Republicans should be the last to complain, because such expressions are sure to favor Mr. Roosevelt and the more emphatic they are, the more sales-resistance they arouse to the detriment of their own purpose.

Maj. Williams: Costly mistakes

By Maj. Al Williams

Ernie Pyle combat pay bill favored by House group

Weiss pushes measure for 50% bonuses, citing Gallup poll and Army papers
By Robert Taylor, Press Washington correspondent

Poll: Businessmen closing gap on Roosevelt

Foreign policy approval indicated
By George Gallup, Director, American Institute of Public Opinion

Infantry transfers open to men under 32

Noncoms will be able to keep ratings

Food boss holds key to alcohol

WAC deplores Altoona attitude

Lt. Slattery: Plane is defaced

Private Hargrove at hit at the Penn

By Ed McKay

Mark Twain laugh picture at Warner

Humor with delicious flavor dished up in life story of American humorist
By Lenore Brundige

CANDIDLY SPEAKING —
‘Take it like a man’

By Maxine Garrison

Victory over Cardinals peps Pirates

First game with Chicago is postponed

Only signature needed –
Grimm choice of Cubs as new manager

Steel industry earnings touch wartime low

1943 profits reflect 20% rise in payrolls

Cash in public hands exceeds gold reserves

Currency circulation hits record high

Draft to cost 6 million tons, coal men say

Maize urges Ickes to ease Army demand

Völkischer Beobachter (May 6, 1944)

US-Gangster deckt das alliierte Kriegsziel auf:
Morden, zerstückeln, versklaven…

Wir werden diesen Vansittarts die Antwort nicht schuldig bleiben!

Heldentod des Admirals Koga

an Bord eines Flugzeuges

Im indischen Grenzgebiet –
Neue japanische Erfolge

Amerikanisches Fliergerlatein

U.S. Navy Department (May 6, 1944)

CINCPAC Press Release No. 388

For Immediate Release
May 6, 1944

Eighty‑seven tons of bombs were dropped on Ponape Island by Liberators of the 7th Army Air Force on May 4 (West Longitude Date). Ponape Town and dock areas were thoroughly covered, and large fires and explosions were caused.

Truk Atoll was bombed by 7th Army Air Force Liberators before dawn on May 5. Anti-aircraft fire was light.

Forty‑seven tons of bombs were dropped in attacks on remaining enemy positions in the Marshalls during May 4 by Mitchell bombers of the 7th Army Air Force, Dauntless dive bombers and Corsair fighters of the 4th Marine Aircraft Wing, and Navy Hellcat lighters. Coastal batteries, anti-­aircraft batteries, and magazine areas were hit.

The Pittsburgh Press (May 6, 1944)

YANKS RIP 5 ROMANIAN RAIL HUBS
U.S. bombers carry on in Channel gale

Calais coast hit by Liberators
By Walter Cronkite, United Press staff writer

Nazi railways in Italy cut

Allied planes breach dam, loosing big wall of water on Germans
By Reynolds Packard, United Press staff writer

Half-starved Jap troops surrendering in Guinea

By William B. Dickinson, United Press staff writer

Yanks hit Kurils and Nauru Island

Germans rush big force to Scandinavia

Nazis fear landings in Norway, Denmark
By Robert Dowson, United Press staff writer

Invasion rumors hit by OWI chief

Davis: Announcement to come in London

Priest and Stalin confer again

Marshal called friendly to Catholic Church

Strikes spread in auto centers

Tie-up is worst since Pearl Harbor
By the United Press

Men under 26 total 1,699,213

Washington (UP) –
National Selective Service headquarters announced today that registrants under 26 years of age whose classifications are now being reviewed number 1,699,213, not including 4-Fs.

Of this total, 600,000 (or more than one in three) are classified 1-A; about 375,000 are deferred in activities other than agriculture and generally face early processing toward induction; while 565,000 (or one in three) are deferred in agriculture.