America at war! (1941–) – Part 3

americavotes1944

Secret diplomacy scored by Bricker

Chicago, Illinois (UP) –
Governor John W. Bricker of Ohio, Republican presidential aspirant, denounced secret diplomacy as un-American in an address here last night in which he said “the public must be advised of the facts.”

He told a Union League Club audience:

If, before the war, the people had been advised what was happening in the Pacific, the executive branch and Congress would have been forced to take adequate action.

The administration either knew or should have known what was taking place and if it had acted in time, Pearl Harbor never would have happened. It is not enough that the facts are known in Washington, but the people also must know them.

Mr. Bricker, en route to the West Coast on a campaign tour, also urged:

…the retention of strategic bases and installations throughout the world which we have built with our sweat and substance and for which we have fought with the blood and lives of our boys.

In Washington –
Price report met by some GOP cynicism

But Congress as a whole favors review

Binder: Stettinius in London may be preparing for new Big Three conference

Allied leaders may discuss problems which have arisen since Tehran parley
By Carroll Binder, The Chicago Daily News foreign editor

‘Daddy’s’ induction delayed by plea to Roosevelt

Father permitted to spend Easter Sunday birthday with his daughter

‘Gag’ may halt poll tax debate

Southern Senators plan filibuster

Plant inspected by trial officers

Editorial: ‘Trouble in the Balkans’

americavotes1944

Editorial: Britain worries about Willkie

London reports that the British are concerned over Wendell Willkie’s withdrawal and its effect on the presidential election. So far, however, their officials have observed the ban against comments which could be interpreted here as foreign interference in American affairs.

Nevertheless, as long as there is no British effort to fish in our political waters, their interest is as legitimate as it is inevitable. Their future and ours are closely interrelated in war and peace. They are watching the Willkie development for the same reason we are observing reports that Anthony Eden will or will not resign as Foreign Minister, and that he is being groomed as Prime Minister Churchill’s successor.

In the Willkie case, however, the British apparently are not only interested but worried. That is unnecessary. It is based on a misunderstanding. Oversimplification, confusion of old labels with present realities, and propaganda have given the British the absurd notion that American cooperation in world affairs depends on the election of either Mr. Roosevelt or Mr. Willkie.

If they wish to read future American foreign policy in terms of personalities, a rather superficial pastime, they should get the personal record straight. Four years ago, Mr. Roosevelt and Mr. Willkie, as candidates, and Mr. Dewey and Mr. Taft, as aspirants for the nomination, all publicly favored keeping the United States out of war if possible. Since Pearl Harbor, all have favored all-out war for total victory.

On post-war policy, all favored the Senate resolution of last November, which incorporated the Moscow four-power pact for:

…establishing at the earliest practicable date a general international organization, based on the principle of the sovereign equality of all peace-loving states, and open to all such states, large and small, for the maintenance of international peace and security.

But the British overestimate the power of a President to dictate American foreign policy. The man in the White House, whatever his personality or platform or party, cannot move beyond Congressional and public opinion – as Woodrow Wilson and others have learned to their sorrow.

America’s world policy, and relations with Britain, during the next four years will be determined by American public opinion on the basis of the success or the failure of present American efforts to achieve the international organization and democratic peace pledged by the Atlantic Charter and Moscow Pact. The overwhelming passage of the Fulbright and Connally resolutions proves that both parties and the American public are committed to that policy.

Ferguson: War want ads

By Mrs. Walter Ferguson

Background of news –
Rare Easter anniversary

By Edwin J. McKay

Poll: MacArthur is GOP choice in Georgia

General tops Dewey by 20% of voters
By George Gallup, Director, American Institute of Public Opinion

Kyser a pre-Pearl Harbor camp show performer

By Jean Irving

Millett: If we could grow up!

Mature brain work would be helpful
By Ruth Millett

Bill McKechnie’s magic touch with pitchers to get workout this year

Ernie Pyle V Norman

Roving Reporter

By Ernie Pyle

With 5th Army beachhead, Italy – (by wireless)
About 13 months ago I struggled one forenoon into a cactus patch about halfway between Sbeitla and Faid Pass, in Tunisia.

Hidden in that patch was all that was left of an armored combat team which had been overrun the day before, when the Germans made the famous surprise breakthrough which led finally to our retreat through Kasserine Pass.

A few of you more tenacious readers may remember my writing about this bunch at the time. I found them almost in a daze – and a very justifiable one, too, for they had been fleeing and groping their way across the desert for a day and a night, cut to pieces, and with the swarming Germans relentlessly upon them.

The few who escaped had never expected to survive at all, and on that weary morning they were hardly able to comprehend that they were still alive.

I had good friends in that gang, and I’ve just seen them again after 13 months. Talk about your family reunions! It was like Old Home Week for a while.

I stayed with them two days, and we fought the Tunisian wars over and over again. I can just visualize us on some far day when we cross each other’s paths back in America, boring our families and friends to distraction with our longwinded recounting and arguments about some afternoon in Tunisia.

Satch and the helmet

Maj. Rollin Elkins, sometimes known in fact as R. Lafayette Elkins, used to be a professor at Texas A&M College Station, Texas. He is one of this old gang. His nickname is “Satch,” and he goes around in the green two-piece coverall of the infantry. Everybody loves him.

That memorable night in Tunisia I excitedly went away and left my helmet and shovel lying under a halftrack in which Maj. Elkins was sleeping, and never saw them again. In our reminiscing I told the major how last fall, when I was home, several people told me that this steel helmet was now in somebody’s house out on Long Island. How it got there I haven’t the remotest idea.

But I’ve got another helmet now, and Satch Elkins has another halftrack, “Bird Dog the Second,” to replace the old one that was shot out from under him that awful Tunisian afternoon.

I saw Sgt. Pat Donadeo of Allison Park, a suburb of Pittsburgh, who is one of the best mess sergeants overseas. He has lived in the field for nearly two years, cooking in a truck on his portable kitchen, turning out excellent meals, and always having a snack for a correspondent, no matter what hour you show up.

District man forager

Sgt. Donadeo looks a little thinner, but he’s still all right. He speaks good Italian, and since hitting Italy, he has come into his own. He makes little foraging trips and comes back with such delicacies as fresh eggs, chicken, olive oil and cows.

In an earlier column, Ernie predicted that Sgt. Donadeo would be a valuable man when he got to Italy. The Pittsburgher was mentioned in two columns written in Tunisia in February and April of 1943.

And there’s Lt. Col. Daniel Talbot, who owns a big cattle ranch outside of Fort Worth, Texas. His nickname is “Pinky,” and he doesn’t look like a warrior at all, but he is.

Col. Talbot used to have a driver named Manuel Gomez from Laredo, Texas. One afternoon beyond Sidi Bouzid, a year ago, the three of us drove up to the foothills so we could look down over the valley where the Germans were. Shells were falling in the valley, and every time we’d hear one, we’d ditch the jeep and start for the gulleys, although they’d actually be landing a mile away from us.

Pvt. Gomez is still driving for the colonel, and the three of us laughed today at our inexperience and nervousness so long ago. None of us has got brave in the meantime, but all of us have enriched our knowledge of shell sounds. Today we think it’s far away when a shell missed by 200 yards.

Our tanks haven’t had much chance to do their stuff in the Italian war, because of the mountainous terrain and the incessant rains. But the tankers are ready, and they’re hoping. They know that sooner or later their big battle here on the beachhead will come. When I walked in, they laughed and said:

This must be it. Every time you’d show up in Tunisia, we’d have a battle. This must be the sign.

So you see I have my life work cut out for me. I just go around the country starting battles, like a nasty little boy, and then immediately run back and hide.

Pegler: Negro press

By Westbrook Pegler

Maj. de Seversky: Mitchell failed

By Maj. Alexander P. de Seversky

Raid explanation asked by Swiss

Washington (UP) –
Swiss Minister Charles Bruggmann yesterday made oral representations to Secretary of State Cordell Hull about the accidental bombing of the Swiss border village of Schaffhausen by U.S. Liberator bombers on April 1.

The representations were understood to be preliminary to a formal note for the record. The United States had already presented its regrets both to the Swiss Legation in London and to the Swiss Foreign Office in Berne, and Mr. Hull had issued a statement expressing regret and pledging indemnity.

Mr. Bruggmann, it was said, sought an explanation as to how the accident occurred. Mr. Hull had said previously that an unfortunate series of events caused the mistakes leading up to the tragedy.

The minister also asked that measures be taken to prevent similar incidents in the future and was said to have accepted Mr. Hull’s statement that reparations will be made as far as is “humanly possible.”

67 Japs found on four atolls

Marines find fifth in Marshalls unoccupied
By Malcolm R. Johnson, United Press staff writer

Merchant Marine recruiting reopens

Applicants will be shipped out at once

Raise approved for miners of hard coal

Ickes soon may lift his federal control

Yank in India finds answer to a duckhunter’s prayer

Völkischer Beobachter (April 9, 1944)

Unaufhaltsamer Vormarsch in Indien –
Kohima eingenommen

Er hat genug vom Pazifik