America at war! (1941–) – Part 3

Aviation training curtailed by Navy

WAC disappears from Fort Lewis

Monopoly warning given by La Follette

Depression threat cited by Senator

Ex-Stormtrooper switches uniforms, becomes U.S. G.I.

Peter Pohlenz played Nazi roles in films

Biddle clears CIO committee

Bodies of Americans used as booby traps

Allies hammer New Guinea base

Truk also pounded by U.S. bombers

Joint strategy of U.S., Britain and Russia emerging in squeeze on Balkans

Raids called result of Tehran parley
By Edward W. Beattie, United Press staff writer

Petrillo attacks recording firms

Ask WLB to spurn back-to-work plea

Fortresses CAN do a loop, pilot who did declares

By Robert Richards, United Press staff writer

americavotes1944

‘All or nothing,’ Bricker says of his presidential campaign

Ohioan shuns second place, says main concern is defeat of New Deal policies
By S. Burton Heath

Columbus, Ohio –
John W. Bricker, Ohio’s first Republican three-term governor, says that he is after all or nothing. He isn’t interested in the GOP’s vice presidential nomination.

He told me:

I’m a candidate for the nomination for President – and nothing else.

Back in his office between campaign trips, Governor Bricker had just three days between a nine-day tour just ended and a projected 15-day swing to the Pacific Coast.

Leaning back in his chair, puffing a light brier pipe, he was deliberately positive in expressing dislike for the entire New Deal philosophy, to which, he said, everything that has been is wrong, and should be changed. But he declined to discuss nomination, or their qualifications his rivals for the Republican nomination, or their qualifications or their philosophies.

He said:

I’m concerned only with my own effort to build up the Republican Party, to strengthen its position, to implant my ideas in the ranks of the party’s leadership.

I’m more concerned over defeating the New Deal and its trend toward absolutism than I am in becoming President myself. I’ll join any of the other candidates for nomination in building up the party and carrying its position to the country.

That was when – reminding him of a Washington news poll that counted him out for the presidential nomination. But mildly suggested his availability for second place – I inquired if he would consent. The answer was calm but firm.

In an attempt to get Governor Bricker’s platform boiled down into tabloid, I asked him if he would tell me first, in 1-2-3 order of importance, the things he had against the Roosevelt administration, and then, as to each, what he would do to rectify the conditions of which he disapproved.

The answers fail to consider some things which many persons consider issues. But I present, briefly, Governor Bricker’s answers, on the theory that both what he said and what he left unsaid are significant in testing his candidacy.

His first complaint was:

There’s too much concentration of power in the federal government. That takes in blanket authorizations to administrative boards, blank check appropriations, expansion of regimentation, etc.

Congress subordinated

In the second place, too much power has been taken over by the executive, subordinating Congress, relegating the states to an inferior role, and there has been too much reckless expenditure of money on non-war purposes.

The great number of appointments by one man to the federal bench, for adherence to the New Deal philosophy of government, creates a tendency to overbalance the judgment of the courts in favor of a particular philosophy of government.

In international affairs, the people have been kept in the dark – were before the days of the war – as to the seriousness of the situation in the Pacific, which it now appears the administration knew something about and should have known completely.

If Americans had known

If the American people had known, they would have demanded that we make Japan comply with her international obligations, and that we stop selling munitions to those who would use them against us.

What can be done about it?

I’d cut the expanded personnel of bureaucracy. I’d call into service in the various divisions of the government the best men of the nation. The administration of domestic affairs ought to be carried out through the various Cabinet departments.

Would limit censorship

I would do away with censorship except insofar as it affects the conduct of the war, and then take the judgment of military leaders and not of politicians.

I asked Governor Bricker to enumerate bureaus which he would eliminate or reduce, but he declined on the ground that to name some would be to concede the invulnerability of others, and would bring down upon him the fire of those named.

As for the New Deal social program, Governor Bricker said that the SEC should be continued, but made into an agency for helping good business while restricting bad business; that he would not touch either the Wagner Act or social security at present, though the former, he thinks, may have to be amended after the war.

Social Security

He would resist any further attempts to put Social Security on a national basis, because he believes that the closer it is kept to the people, the better it will function.

There will have to be a stable financial basis after the war, with a balanced budget as soon as possible. Control over the value of the dollar must be taken from the hands of the executive. Business ought to be given some protection in a stable currency and stable taxation, to make possible its return to a peacetime basis.

And finally:

The first duty of any administration is to prosecute the war. So far as I am concerned, there would be no shift in leadership. I have the greatest confidence in Adm. King and in Gen. Marshall, whom I know very well. There must be no politics in the conduct of the war.

Poll: Dewey to get half Willkie’s ex-supporters

One-sixth to shift to Democrats
By George Gallup, Director, American Institute of Public Opinion

americavotes1944

He talked himself out –
Stokes: Ups and downs of Willkie are amazing political saga

Professionals never quite trusted him, and rank-and-file lost admiration
By Thomas L. Stokes, Scripps-Howard staff writer

Columbus, Ohio –
Consider the case of Wendell L. Willkie, one of the most dramatic, amazing and intriguing in American political history.

Four years ago – resigned from the presidency of a great electric power corporation – nominated for President by the Republicans in the political miracle of the 20th century – recipient of 22 million votes though he had never served in public office nor even run for one.

A new phase is due

Why?

A Willkie phase Has ended, and we may inquire what happened before another begins – and one is sure to begin.

Essentially Mr. Willkie turned out to be the kind of a guy that regular Republican politicians just couldn’t understand or tolerate, and this opinion seems to have percolated down to the rank and file, proving that politicians must have a sure instinct after all.

Suspicious of him

They were suspicious of him from the start, such a free-swinging, free-talking man, but he looked so good to them standing up there with his hair mussed and his arms waving – and they just had to have somebody who could beat That Man in the White House.

They soon found out he was not their kind. He wouldn’t take their advice. He wouldn’t do the political thing. They sent Joe Martin, House Republican floor leader, to Colorado Springs, where Mr. Willkie had retreated to do his heavy thinking, to tell him for the party’s sake not to come out for the draft bill in his acceptance speech.

He listened to Joe. Then he came out for the draft act.

Wendell ‘in step’

Republicans in Congress, for the most part, went the other way. Everybody was in step but Wendell.

They so wanted him to be nice to the politicians. He snubbed the party elders, like Herbert Hoover and Alf M. Landon, and he snubbed the little fellows who handled the precincts and the wards, the counties and the cities. He just didn’t care much for the political breed.

He was defeated. And naturally, they blamed him.

Can’t keep quiet

He might have settled down and kept quiet. But no, look at him. He goes rushing off to England, some sort of an emissary for President Roosevelt. Just a Democrat, they whispered. Then he comes home and proves it to them by coming out for President Roosevelt’s Lend-Lease bill.

That’s not enough. He goes gallivanting around the world then – yep, just an emissary of Franklin D., just a Democrat, and he hobnobs with dictators and prime ministers, away out of range of the lowly politician.

Gradually the professional politicians dropped away from him. He knew it. So, he would go out among the people and talk to them. He’d show the politicians.

Politicians right

But the folks didn’t rally around. The politicians were right. He talked and he talked, he pleaded and he pleaded. The people weren’t moved.

One man on a train looked up from his newspaper and chortled: “The more he talks, the lower he gets.”

For he’s a great human being, generously endowed with what is commonly called guts.

americavotes1944

Dewey polls half of Wisconsin GOP

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (UP) –
More than 50% of the 260,468 Republican votes cast in the Wisconsin primary election Tuesday were for Governor Thomas E. Dewey of New York, unofficial returns from 2,845 of the state’s 3,075 precincts showed today.

The total number of Dewey votes was131,740, the number cast for Wisconsin Secretary of State Fred Zimmerman, the leading candidate for delegate-at-large. Mr. Zimmerman’s total was more than the combined number of votes cast for the leading candidates for delegate-at-large for LtCdr. Harold E. Stassen (former Governor of Minnesota), Gen. Douglas MacArthur and Wendell L. Willkie.

The total Republican vote was 61% of the 426,996 ballots cast by both sides in the precincts reported.

Willkie to close his headquarters

New York (UP) –
Wendell L. Willkie, declaring that he felt “fine,” arrived in New York today and announced that his national campaign headquarters would be closed “immediately” as the result of his withdrawal from the race for the Republican presidential nomination.

Mr. Willkie, accompanied by his wife, laughed off any specific questions as to his future political moves.

Asked whether he intended to make any political trips or speeches in the near future, Mr. Willkie said:

Not that I know of. I’m going to devote all of my time to running my office and practicing law. This is my home, you know.

Mr. Willkie, for the most part, appeared less jovial than usual and appeared tired.

Asked whether he had any plans to meet with Governor Thomas E. Dewey, now considered the leading Republican candidate, Mr. Willkie laughed and declined to answer.

Editorial: Good Friday

Editorial: Blunders in battle

americavotes1944

Editorial: No circus

Republican Chairman Harrison Spangler has urged political convention fans to stay away from the party’s Chicago meeting in June. With travel and hotel accommodations what they are, the request will probably be heeded. With no cheering, booing, whistling bedlam in the packed galleries this year, the distinction between the elephant as the symbol of the GOP and the elephant as the symbol of the circus is going to be painfully apparent.

Edson: Steel companies gird to fight CIO demands

By Peter Edson

Ferguson: Restaurant cooking

By Mrs. Walter Ferguson*

Background of news –
New Deal tests in South

By Jay G. Hayden

Doubt is cast in shortage of manpower

Unemployment pay shows increase
By Phelps Adams, North American Newspaper Alliance

Unions gain courage from official report on spendable wages

War bond purchases added to living costs as labor bureau takes a second look