America at war! (1941–) – Part 3

americavotes1944

Bolt by Willkie is possibility

Republican chiefs shed few tears
By Lyle C. Wilson, United Press staff writer

Washington (UP) –
Wendell L. Willkie’s withdrawal from the contest for the Republican presidential nomination projected him today into a new role as freelance political adviser with a mission to commit the party to significant post-war cooperation in international affairs.

He withdrew last night in a statement that challenged the party with the possibility that he may bolt the ticket this year if he regards the candidates or the platform to be against the principles he has espoused.

There was recognition of the possibility that Mr. Willkie might take a walk is the comment of most party members on his retirement from office-seeking politics. They generally expressed the hope that he would remain on the anti-New Deal firing line through the presidential campaign.

He retired when Wisconsin Republican preferential primary voters accorded Governor Thomas E. Dewey of New York a vote of confidence despite the fact that Governor Dewey repudiated his backers there and Mr. Willkie made a vigorous campaign. The slate of Willkie delegates not only trailed Governor Dewey’s men, but ran behind those committed to LtCdr. Harold E. Stassen, former Governor of Minnesota, and Gen. Douglas MacArthur. Mr. Willkie was blanked.

But Mr. Willkie’s acknowledgment of the futility of his own presidential ambitions was accompanied by an aggressive insistence that he would continue to speak his mind. He aimed at Governor Dewey, too, an indirect charge of accepting so-called America First support.

It is assumed that Mr. Willkie intends to continue the America First line of criticism wherever he deems it to be justified and that he will make himself notable in this political year by asking most of the embarrassing questions.

Criticized Dewey

Mr. Willkie has criticized and resented Governor Dewey’s unruffled insistence that he is not a candidate for the Republican presidential nomination and that he will not campaign for it. In his new role, Mr. Willkie inevitably will undertake to smoke the Governor out.

But organization and Congressional Republicans generally waived him out of the contest with some cheers and few misgivings. The consensus seemed to be that Governor Thomas E. Dewey’s chances of being drafted for the nomination steadily were improving.

Rep. Joseph W. Martin Jr. (R-MA), House Republican Leader, said he was confident Mr. Willkie would stand by the Republican Party, to which he went from the Democrats after President Roosevelt’s first election in 1932 to help lick the Roosevelt administration this year.

Willkie’s statement

Mr. Willkie’s statement in Omaha last night follows:

It has been my conviction that no Republican could be nominated for President unless he received at the convention the votes of some of the major Midwestern states. For it is in this section of the country that the Republican Party has had its greatest resurgence. Therefore, I quite deliberately entered the Wisconsin primary to test whether the Republican voters of that state would support me in the advocacy of every sacrifice and cost necessary to winning and shortening the war and in the advocacy of tangible, effective economic and political cooperation among the nations of the world for the preservation of the peace and the rebuilding of humanity.

The result of the primary is naturally disappointing and doubly so since the candidate who led the poll for delegates is known as one active in organizations such as the America First, opposed to the beliefs which I entertain.

As I have said many times, this country desperately needs new leadership. It is obvious now that I cannot be nominated. I therefore am asking my friends to desist from any activity toward that end and not to present my name at the convention. I earnestly hope that the Republicans will nominate a candidate and write a platform which really represents the views which I have advocated and which I believe are shared by millions of Americans. I shall continue to work for the principles and policies for which I have fought during the last five years.

Dewey backer hit

The reference to the former America First adherent was evidently to Wisconsin Secretary of State Fred R. Zimmerman, who organized the Dewey-for-President movement in Wisconsin and got more votes than any other delegate-at-large candidate.

Mr. Zimmerman retorted today in Milwaukee:

We’re all 100% for America around here. Regardless of what contributed to my vote, if Willkie thinks I’m for America second or third or fourth, he’s crazy. Maybe that’s why he got the licking he did at the polls. Maybe the voters feel that he’s for Russia, or England, or France first. If anybody else feels as he did let ‘em line up with that young man and they’ll get the same licking he did.

Smith sees victory

This charge followed shortly upon a statement by Rev. Gerald L. K. Smith, one-time Louisiana minister who variously attached himself to the late Huey P. Long, the Townsend Old-Age Pension movement, Father Charles E. Coughlin and others, that Mr. Willkie’s defeat in Wisconsin was a great victory for America First.

He added that he was communicating with Governor Dewey who, in a New York speech this week, said “the Gerald L. K. Smiths and their ilk must not be permitted to pollute the stream of American life.” Rev. Smith said he was writing to Governor Dewey that he was not at all offended by the remark and that he was “confident you have been misinformed concerning my activities.”

Two third parties

There have been two recent third-party movements of consequence. Theodore Roosevelt, a national hero, wrecked the Republican Party in 1912 by organizing the Progressive Party and becoming its presidential nominee. The late Robert M. La Follette, a great political figure in his own right, organized a Progressive Party in 1924. He carried Wisconsin and the city of Cleveland, Ohio.

There was scant support for speculation that Mr. Willkie would attempt a third party. But as a free agent – a rover in the political croquet game – he may prove now to be in a position to exert more influence than as a candidate for the presidential nomination. His opposition to Governor Dewey’s nomination generally is conceded. He now is in a position to ask embarrassing questions. That Mr. Willkie will continue the “America First” theme of attack is almost inevitable and he is expected to bombard the Governor with questions about his availability for the Republican nomination in view of Governor Dewey’s repeated statements that he wants to complete his four-year term in Albany.

Stop-Dewey drive

Another development foreseen today was a “Stop-Dewey” movement which should attract Cdr. Stassen, Gen. MacArthur’s supporters and Governor John W. Bricker of Ohio. It is the custom of presidential aspirations to mow down the frontrunner. That may explain in part what happened to Mr. Willkie in Wisconsin.

Some Republicans expressed regret that Mr. Willkie attacked Governor Dewey as being supported by “America Firsters.” Among them Senator Robert A. Taft (R-OH), who said:

It is unfortunate that Willkie allowed his natural disappointments to lead him to attack Republicans who disagree with him on foreign policy. Nevertheless, his withdrawal will lead to greater unity of all Republicans behind the principles declared at Mackinac.

Other Republican comments:

• Senator Gerald P. Nye (R-ND):

I am surprised at Willkie would allude to the America First backing… which seems to be an acknowledgment that the America First thought is still prominent in this country.

• Senator John A. Danaher (R-CT):

If Mr. Roosevelt would only do the same thing, I think our people would have a great deal more confidence in the general scene.

• Rep. Hamilton Fish (R-NY):

The withdrawal of Mr. Willkie is an unselfish and patriotic act in order to promote unity in the Republican Party and assure the Republican Party and assure the defeat of the New Deal, the fourth term and the bureaucratic administration.

Landon surprised

Alf M. Landon, 1936 Republican nominee, said he was surprised by Mr. Willkie’s action and added:

Last December, I predicted that Dewey would be the nominee and that Willkie would not be much of a factor at the convention. The results in Wisconsin speak for themselves.

Representative Democratic command came from Herman P. Eberharter (D-Philadelphia):

Willkie had no chance from the beginning because the bosses had greased the Republican machinery for their favorite boy – Dewey. We’ll take Dewey without even breathing.

Cassino battles rage in Italy

Nazis hinted mapping new attacks
By Reynolds Packard, United Press staff writer

Truk hit again by U.S. airmen

Allies also continue raids on Wewak

Japs hit India’s defenses; Allies advance in Burma

New ‘Super’ loads by Fortresses hinted

Draft of miners opposed by Ickes

Warns of serious effect on coal output

parry3

I DARE SAY —
Anniversary

By Florence Fisher Parry

Three years ago today, Hitler marched into Greece. Yes, it has been three years since the great old names leaped back into the news – the Battle of Marathon, the Battle of Thermopylae. Then it was not long until we heard that the Swastika was flying over the Parthenon. And the Greeks in America, or indeed wherever they were – those who were not in their native land when the shameful blow struck – bowed their heads and wept for their conquered brothers and could not be comforted.

Since then, other proud cities have fallen; some have been burned away; but it seems to me that nothing carried the indignity of Athens fallen, that pure and classic monument to form and beauty!

The mind cannot face what must be the degradation which the people of Greece have suffered in the last three years. It was nothing to starve or suffer disease or be stretched on the rack of pain. But to bite the dust before a breed of inferior vandals, this was the gall that killed.

What of Rome?

Now it might be well on this third anniversary of Hitler’s march into Greece to think of what is to be the fate of that other seat of glory, the city of Rome, for the question now is agitated: Shall the Allies be driven into destroying Rome?

It might be in order for us to remind ourselves how long the Parthenon would have endured, how long the city of Athens, under German attack, if there could have been Allied resistance; if the Greeks had had arms.

Some time ago, one of our best radio commentators, Raymond Gram Swing, in one of his very finest broadcasts, discussed the Vera Brittain pronouncement on “massacre by bombing” and its endorsement by some American clergymen, and disposed of this question thus:

The bombing of Berlin, like the previous bombing of London, could have been avoided. The war against civilians, which the Nazis have known how to prosecute with ruthless barbarity, and which the Allies have resorted to with their own measures of blockade and bombing, could have been avoided. No one who gave a thought to this war as it was sure to be fought, in the heyday of industrial and scientific invention, had any doubt that it would be more terrible than any war ever waged before.

So, there was every humane prompting to stop it at the time it could have been stopped. Miss Brittain, and the clergymen around her, issue a call for repentance. They call only for repentance for the consequence of failure, not for the failure itself.

Is it not more to the point to think back to Munich where Czechoslovakia was mutilated on the altar of Hitler’s greed as a gift of appeasement, by honorable men who loathed war? One can go farther back to the day when Ethiopia in chains was given over to Italy, as a cheap way to avoid war with a bullying, belligerent Mussolini. Preceding that was the Japanese descent on Manchuria.

I do not know whether any of the signers of the call to repentance preached about the inevitable folly of giving way before the blusterings of Mussolini, or warned of approaching perils in Hitler’s reoccupation of the Rhineland, or his renunciation of the Treaty of Locarno. If they had a clear record of having opposed the inexorable sequence of events which produced the war with all its horrors, I imagine they would say so. But that is not their plea or their approach.

We know that Berlin is not being bombed so as to kill civilians. It is being bombed to weaken German industry, hence the Nazi ability to kill our soldiers. It is being bombed to reduce the Luftwaffe, so that when the invasion of Europe is ventured more of our soldiers will survive that essential campaign.

France, Britain helpless

It was the Germans who created the Luftwaffe. Violating their pledges under the peace treaty, they built this vast and unprecedented force, and invited chosen witnesses from abroad to open their astonished eyes to it.

With this force, the Nazis set out to make themselves dominant in the world. The accord of Munich was written under the shadow of the wings of the Luftwaffe. France and Britain wrung their hands as they sacrificed Czechoslovakia. We are helpless, their leaders said privately, for we cannot prevent the bombing of Paris and London.

There is only one way to avoid great wars, and that is to snuff them out when they are at their early and little beginnings, and to do it then with concerted vigor. So long as this resolve burns in all American minds, and no attempt is permitted to frustrate it, peace, if not pacifism, will have been served.

The lesson of this war, including the bombing of cities, is not that wars are brutal, and should be less brutal, but that wars are preventable and should be prevented.

Troops too busy to note Army Day

Marshall praises soldiers and WACs

First Lady rejects peace table post

Washington (UP) –
Although Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt “adores” the fact that she will be 60 on her next birthday (on Oct. 11), she said today she thought she was too old to learn the things that she would have to know to qualify for participation in international conferences.

She was asked at her news conference about the suggestion of a woman columnist that she wanted to sit at the peace conferences.

Mrs. Roosevelt replied:

Nothing on God’s green earth could make me take a public job of any kind.

She did not feel she had the necessary qualifications. She said there were other women, some 60 and over, who were qualified. She cited Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands, New York Times writer Anna O’Hare McCormick and “some” Congresswomen.

She had no “comment” on the withdrawal of Wendell L. Willkie from the Republican presidential race.

One gun burst by Yank downs four Nazi planes

Gen. Eaker: Nazi airpower is dwindling

But general also issues warning
By Edward P. Morgan

Yank planes drop bombs on Venafro by mistake

By Clinton B. Conger, United Press staff writer

Frenchman suggests Yanks stop using Poilu uniforms

By John Lardner, North American Newspaper Alliance

U.S. to speed showdown with Madrid

Hull aide to sail for Spain soon

Simms: Understanding near in Anglo-U.S. air talks

By William Philip Simms, Scripps-Howard foreign editor

Stoneman: Food problems to face Allies after invasion

Performance in Italy called bad example
By William H. Stoneman

Burial at sea described by tearful survivor

By Collie Small, United Press staff writer

Five saved, but– five have to die

Tragic drama at sea told by survivor

Mrs. Browder to be admitted as legal alien

Communist’s wife not to be deported

americavotes1944

Senator Byrd ‘nominated’ for President

Bailey discounts fourth term try

Washington (UP) –
Senator Josiah W. Bailey (D-NC), influential Southern Democrat, said today he doubted that President Roosevelt will seek a fourth term and “nominated” Senator Harry F. Byrd (D-VA) as the party’s 1944 presidential candidate.

Senator Bailey elaborated on his views after he had written a letter to the Byrd-for-President headquarters declaring that although Senator Byrd is not an announced candidate, “I would support him for the nomination for President with unreserved confidence.”

Senator Bailey said he expected most of the delegates to the Democratic National Convention at Chicago this July, including those from North Carolina, would favor renomination of President Roosevelt.

Senator Bailey added:

But I seriously question he will run for a fourth term. I doubt that any man would aspire to a fourth term in the Presidency.

If the President doesn’t run, I think that Byrd for President and Farley [James A. Farley] for Vice President would make a fine ticket.

americavotes1944

Bricker mum on Willkie’s withdrawal

Ohio Governor guest at Duquesne Club

On his visit here last night “just to meet a few people,” Ohio’s Governor John W. Bricker declared that if he is successful in his campaign for the Presidency, he will not be a candidate for a second term.

The “few people” Governor Bricker came to Pittsburgh to get acquainted with at a dinner in the Duquesne Club were 80 of Pittsburgh’s leading industrialists and businessmen. Hosts for the dinner were steel man E. T. Weir, glass manufacturer H. S. Wherrett and Westinghouse official A. W. Robertson.

No comment on Willkie

The Ohio executive refused any comment concerning the announcement in Omaha, Nebraska, last night that Wendell L. Willkie had withdrawn his candidacy for the Presidency. He declared that any comment he might make concerning Mr. Willkie’s withdrawal announcement would come from his office in Columbus, Ohio.

If nominated and elected the nation’s Chief Executive, Governor Bricker declared that he would press for Congressional legislation to limit the tenure of future Presidents to two four-year terms.

The 51-year-old Ohio Governor said:

Too long a time spent in executive office enables a man to build up a power that is detrimental to our democratic processes of government.

I think that the next President should serve only one term and that after that our legislation should permit no man more than two four-year terms.

Not entered in Wisconsin

Asked why he had not entered the Wisconsin primary, Governor Bricker declared he had enough to do in Ohio and that it requires too much money for such an organization as was needed.

Concerning what effect a Republican President would have on the war, Governor Bricker said:

I think a Republican victory would strengthen the war effort.

He asserted that:

Such a victory would be an assurance to our boys at the front that they are still fighting for a democratic government.

Slaps at OWI

Governor Bricker slapped at the present administration, declaring that in his opinion, the Office of War Information has been used as a tool for propaganda purposes and "as a cloak for fourth-term propaganda.”

Among those attending the dinner were W. P. Witherow and William B. McFall, both candidates for delegates to the Republican National Convention in Chicago.

americavotes1944

Stokes: Willkie runs true to form as question mark in GOP

By Thomas L. Stokes, Scripps-Howard staff writer

Cleveland, Ohio –
True to form, Wendell Willkie provided the country with a couple of sensations in one day by his devastating defeat in the Wisconsin presidential primary and his almost-immediate recognition of that personal political debacle by his withdrawal from the race for the Republican nomination upon which he had set his heart.

This double-barreled action created two interesting situations, on as to the nomination, the other as to Mr. Willkie himself.

The way seemed clear for the nomination of Governor Thomas E. Dewey of New York and, some were forecasting confidently, on the first ballot. For, in the same primary, the young governor topped off the popular swing toward him among rank-and-file Republicans, matched by general support among organization leaders so hostile to Mr. Willkie, by beating the 1940 candidate on his own selected field and without raising a finger.

What about Willkie?

What about Mr. Willkie?

From his own statement of renunciation last night and from sources close to Mr. Willkie, the immediate situation is about as follows:

He will cease activity looking toward the nomination but he will confine himself to a discussion of principles. He believes the Republican Party must adopt to win and will indulge in no personalities, will attack no other candidate.

After convention

What he does after the convention will depend upon the nominee and the platform.

If he does not approve the candidate and the platform, he has three courses open:

• He could bolt the party and lead an independent movement.

• He could refuse to support the nominee and campaign actively against him, either independently or in an open alliance with the Democrats.

• He could refuse to support the nominee and do nothing – “Take a walk,” as Al Smith once expressed it.

He’s not saying

He is not saying. He is not saying on purpose. He wants to keep the GOP leaders worried for the effect it may have on them in chartering a course that would be satisfactory to him. He still has a considerable nuisance value. He knows that.

He has stepped now into the role so long occupied by William Jennings Bryan in the Democratic Party and the late Senator William E. Borah of Idaho in the Republican Party – the man always in the wings, ready to step out and raise hell at inconvenient moments.

Both those remained in their respective parties.

Little room in party

Mr. Willkie is not leaving himself much room in which to move around in the Republican Party. He sees hardly anyone beside himself who would fit the prescription he has written in his Wisconsin campaign. Governor Dewey does not seem to suit him, and certainly not Governor John W. Bricker of Ohio.

Governor Saltonstall of Massachusetts, or perhaps Senator Burton of Ohio, might satisfy him, but they are distinctly dark horses, and LtCdr. Stassen, whose general political philosophy is akin to that of Mr. Willkie, is also in the dark horse class. Mr. Willkie is feeling somewhat resentful at Cdr. Stassen, once a close ally and ex-Governor of Minnesota, who ran ahead of him in Wisconsin.

Mr. Willkie is going to be hard to satisfy.

americavotes1944

Roosevelt-Willkie ticket is rumored

Boston, Massachusetts (UP) –
The Boston Post, in a dispatch from Washington, said today that some political observers predict that President Roosevelt would propose Wendell Willkie as the vice-presidential candidate on the Democratic ticket. The Post said the idea was to form a coalition government while the war was on and for settlement of the peace.

Ely calls Democrats

Boston, Massachusetts –
Former Massachusetts Governor Joseph B. Ely announced today that the state’s anti-Roosevelt Democrats will hold a mass meeting here next Thursday in preparation for the April 25 presidential primaries in which 50 Ely-for-President delegates and alternates will appear on the ballot.