America at war! (1941–) – Part 3

Corby: Roger Touhy, Gangster, new attraction at the Globe Theater, starting today

By Jane Corby

The Free Lance-Star (June 3, 1944)

Cochran returns from China area

Commanding officer of first commandos in Washington

‘Phenie’ Tapp dies at 84; saw battle of wilderness

By Ralph Happel

Editorial: The post-war world

Editorial: German desperation

The Pittsburgh Press (June 3, 1944)

Ernie Pyle V Norman

Roving Reporter

By Ernie Pyle

London, England –
England is certainly the crossroads of this warring world right now. Never a day passes but that I run onto half a dozen people I have known in Albuquerque, Washington, Tunisia, Ireland, the Belgian Congo or Cairo.

One reason I mention this is that nine times out of ten, these people have picked up weight since I last saw them. Time and time again I’ve run onto officers and men who in the thick of the war in Tunisia were lean and thin and hard, and now their faces are filled out and they have gained anywhere from 10 to 40 pounds.

This is due mainly, I suppose, to the fact that their lives haven’t been physically active, as in the field. For months they have been planning the invasion, working hard at desks, eating regularly and well, and getting little exercise. They all hate the physical inactivity of this long planning stage, and they will be glad in a way when they can get outdoors again to hard living.

When our trails cross again, their paunches will be down, and their faces thin and brown and dirty, and they will look hard and alive and like the friends I used to know. They’ll look better. It’s a silly world.

In roaming around the country the other day, I ran into Lt. Col. William Profitt Sr., whom I used to see occasionally in Africa and Sicily.

His old outfit was the first hospital unit ashore in the African invasion, landing at dawn on D-Day. They are so proud of that record that they’ll tear your eyes out at the slightest intimation that you’re confusing them with the second unit to land.

This is the hospital my friend Lt. Mary Ann Sullivan of Boston served with. She finally wound up as chief nurse of the unit. But when I dropped in to say hello, I discovered that Lt. Sullivan had gone back to America a couple of months ago.

She well deserved to go, too. She had been overseas nearly three years, having come originally with the Harvard unit. She had a ship sunk under her at sea, and was shot at innumerable times. She lived like a beast of the field for nearly a year, and she bore the great burden of directing a staff of nurses and supplying both medical care and cheerful understanding to thousands of wounded men.

My friend Col. Profitt and I sat in easy chairs in front of his cozy fireplace and chatted away in dire contrast to our other evenings on the windy plains of Tunisia.

He was telling me about a storm they had just after I left them in Sicily last summer. They were bivouacked on the edge of a cliff by the sea, and the wind blew so hard it blew all their tents over the cliff just at daylight one morning.

Everybody turned to with such a mighty effort that in two hours and a quarter they had every one of their 450 patients dry and under cover again.

This unit is very sentimental about the number 13. They have been mixed up with 13 so many times they wouldn’t trade it for a dozen black cats or four-leaf clovers. They’ve even always sailed in convoys of 13 ships. Col. Profitt said he believed they would refuse to go if they were ever assigned to a convoy of 14 ships.

Most of the original gang of nurses, I hear, are still with the hospital after a solid year of war and nearly two years overseas.

Everywhere you go around our camps and marshaling areas everything is being waterproofed for the invasion. That’s perfectly natural, of course, since land vehicles won’t run through water onto the beaches unless all the vital mechanisms are covered up.

But the thing that surprises me is that so much of the equipment has been prepared in wooden boxes. I’m staying up nights with a hammer and saw preparing a large box for myself, with horseshoes tacked all over it.

Völkischer Beobachter (June 4, 1944)

Neuyork sagt: ‚Der Krieg ein Geschäft‘

Groteske US-Spekulation auf die Bolschewisierung Europas

2.000 Feindflug Major Rudels –
Erbitterte Kämpfe um die Albaner Berge

U.S. Navy Department (June 4, 1944)

CINCPAC Press Release No. 432

For Immediate Release
June 4, 1944

Shumushu and Paramushiru Islands in the Kurils were bombed by Ventura search planes of Fleet Air Wing Four before dawn on June 2 (West Longitude Date). Two large fires were started on Shumushu. Anti-aircraft fire was moderate. Matsuwa Island was bombed by Liberators of the 11th Army Air Force before dawn on June 2. No opposition was encountered. All of our planes returned.

Truk Atoll was bombed by 7th Army Air Force Liberators before dawn on June 3. Forty-one tons of bombs were dropped on storage areas and on runways. Several fires and explosions were observed. Anti-aircraft fire was meager. Two enemy fighters attempted to attack our force but did no damage.

Nauru Island was bombed by 7th Army Air Force Mitchell bombers and search Venturas of Fleet Air Wing Two on June 2. Anti-aircraft batteries were hit and fires started. Anti-aircraft fire was moderate. Ponape Island was bombed by 7th Army Air Force Mitchells on June 1. An airfield, hangars, and adjacent buildings were hit. No anti-aircraft fire was encountered.

Remaining enemy objectives in the Marshalls were attacked by Ventura search planes of Fleet Air Wing Two, Dauntless dive bombers and Corsair fighters of the 4th Marine Aircraft Wing, and Navy Hellcat fighters on May 31 and on June 1 and 2. In these raids, anti-aircraft batteries, coastal defense guns, runways and barracks were strafed and bombed. Anti-aircraft fire was generally meager.

The Brooklyn Eagle (June 4, 1944)

Allies: Fall of Rome imminent

People are urged to bar Nazis from using the torch
By Robert Vermillion

Allies agree to spare Rome, if foe leaves

Gen. Wilson reassures Pope but warns Nazi activity will bring stern measures

False invasion flash thrills the world

Radio report of Allied landing, made in error, startles millions

4,000 planes batter Nazis’ Atlantic Wall

Roads and rail lines in France, Belgium get terrific blasting
By Walter Cronkite

Mihailović reports rescue of 3 U.S. fliers

By the United Press

WLB imposes backpay ban on machinists

Exacts financial penalty first time in San Franscisco strike

4,500,000 tons of food sent Britain by U.S.

Manuel Quezon resting

Saranac Lake, New York (UP) – (June 3)
Manuel Quezon, President of the Philippines, was reported “adjusting himself nicely” today at McMartin Camp here, where he is to remain for an indefinite stay.

U.S. Paris Embassy seized

Madrid, Spain (UP) – (June 3)
Reports from Vichy said tonight French Chief of Government Pierre Laval has ordered confiscation of the U.S. Embassy building in Paris to provide shelter for bombed-out French families.

Maj. Clark Gable to leave Army soon

WAC returns to find mate in rival’s arms

Chindits seal off Japs’ last escape route from Myitkyina

Chinese recapture rail station

Chinese check drive on Changsha

Reveal 4 months secret planning to link Russians in shuttle blitz

By James McGlincy