Pearl Harbor quiz now voted by Senate group

Committee also extends time in which court-martial proceedings may start

Hitler’s utterances cited as evidence in sedition trial

St. Louis strike hits rush hour crowd

americavotes1944

Nolan charges New Deal strangles American business

Cites vital role of free enterprise
By Joseph H. Schmalacker

William G. Nolan, Republican nominee in the 4th Congressional district special election, charged in a statement issued today through Republican campaign headquarters that American business has been subjected to a process of “strangulation” by the New Deal.

He declared:

We of the Republican Party feel that with aggressive and strengthening leadership in Congress we can once again develop the initiative and concentrated effort of American free enterprise.

Nolan’s statement asserted America’s “fifth freedom” was the freedom of enterprise and maintained its existence depended on “six birthrights of every American.” He said these birthrights had motivated American life from the very beginning and added that:

Without the fifth freedom, the four freedoms of the Bill of Rights would have little vitality, and the future development of our country would never be possible of achievement.

Names six birthrights

Nolan’s statement said the birthrights included:

The freedom to work in a field of one’s own choosing; the freedom to earn and save and to invest one’s savings; the freedom to plan and build and to profit from one’s contribution to the growth and progress of one’s community; the freedom to create and to enjoy the fruits of one’s creativeness; the freedom to venture and to reap the rewards of one’s initiative and daring, and the freedom to try and fail and to try again.

The statement added:

The New Deal and the present administration, through its socialized philosophy and governmental structure, does not hold any such opportunity for an expanded future. We fell, therefore, that we should add emphasis to these points and to bring to the electorate’s attention the strangulation of American business which the New Deal is carrying out.

Nolan is running against John J. Rooney, Assistant District Attorney, who has both the Democratic and American Labor Party endorsements. Both sides stepped up their activities today, announcing a series of semi-final political rallies for the special election next Tuesday. Nolan’s backers will stage a rally at the 7th AW Republican Club, 5205 5th Avenue, tonight, while Rooney speaks at the 3rd AD Democratic Club, Clinton and Kane Streets. Nolan, a World War I veteran, also unveiled a servicemen’s plaque at the Federal Republican Club, 341 Union Street.

G. O. P. Faces Hard Fight

Behind the widening activity of the campaign was a bid by both the Republicans and Democrats to strengthen party prestige. The Republicans, waging an uphill fight in a district long recognized as a Democratic stronghold, hope to make an impressive showing on the basis of the vote which turns out at the polls. The late Rep. Thomas H. Cullen, whose death caused Governor Dewey to call the special election, represented the district for 13 consecutive terms and was dean of New York State’s Democratic delegation in the House.

With 30,487 voters registered and eligible to cast ballots and with the number of enrolled voters heavily in favor of the Democrats, the latter are working hard to guard against a slump in the percentage of the vote which their party polls normally. Records of the Board of Elections give the Democrats an enrollment of 23,127 to the Republican Party total of 4,995.

Yanks repulse two counterdrives on Biak Island

U.S. fliers strafe Japs closing on Changsha

Allies resume blitz halted by bad weather

By Walter Cronkite

‘Ike’ urges more guerilla bands

americavotes1944

Bricker cites free enterprise as big 1944 issue

Hershey, Pennsylvania (UP) –
Governor John W. Bricker of Ohio, candidate for the Republican presidential nomination, resumed active campaigning today after spending four “non-political” days in conferences with 35 other governors, including his possible chief opponent, Thomas E. Dewey of New York.

Even before the official end of the 36th Annual Governors’ Conference, Bricker went to Lancaster, Pennsylvania, where he told local members of the Pennsylvania Manufacturers Association that “reestablishment of free enterprise” was one of the foremost issues of the 1944 campaign.

Dewey stayed to the end, ruffling some feelings when he observed that the conference spent too much time on social activities and too little time on problems common to the states, but closing it with a conciliatory note when he acted as mediator in a dispute over a resolution demanding better cooperation between the federal government and the states.

Bricker told his Lancaster audience:

Free enterprise made our country great and strong. Yet the New Deal has arrogantly sought to destroy business in many ways.

Recalling the recent government seizure of Montgomery Ward & Co. at Chicago, Bricker quoted Attorney General Francis Biddle as saying in that connection that “no business in this country is immune from seizure.”

He asserted:

If what Attorney General Biddle says is true, then we no longer have a constitutional government ln the United States of America – we have a dictator.

Frivolous marriage attitude blamed for divorce rate

Corby: Follow the Boys and The Scarlet Claw start first Brooklyn run at the Albee

By Jane Corby

Editorial: Nazi nerves tense awaiting invasion as war comes home

Editorial: The game still draws

The Pittsburgh Press (June 1, 1944)

Ernie Pyle V Norman

Roving Reporter

By Ernie Pyle

Somewhere in England –
The commander of the tank destroyer battalion I have been visiting is Lt. Col. Joseph Deeley of Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin. He used to run a wool-carding mill there. I like his attitude toward things.

When I first showed up, he was perfectly courteous but he made plenty sure I had proper credentials and whatnot. As he said, they have had plenty of security preached into them back home, and this indeed is a critical period and he isn’t taking any chances.

But once he had assured himself I was all right, he called in his sergeants and told them to go around and tell their men they were perfectly free ti show me any and all equipment they had and talk to me as freely as they wanted to.

As I told him later, I don’t think he need have bothered. For these boys, approaching war for the first time, pumped me so thoroughly on what war is like that I hardly got a chance to ask any questions of them. Maybe I’ll have to write some security regulations of my own just out of self-protection. Who the devil is reporting this war, anyway?

One company commander, Capt. Charles Harding of Olmsted Falls, near Cleveland, had just had a letter from home telling him to keep an eye out for me. He figured that in a war this big our paths would never cross, but they did.

Another Ohioan came up and introduced himself. This was Pfc. James Francis McClory of Cleveland. McClory is what is aptly known in the battalion as a “character.” He used to be a prizefighter. Being in the horny-handed world of pugilists, he has a great affinity for apes. There’s an almost-human ape at the zoo in a nearby city which McClory goes to see every time he gets a pass. He calls him “Alfred the Ape,” and says he sure wishes he could take him back to Cleveland.

McClory used to work for the Cleveland Welding Company, which made bicycles. When I asked him what he did, he said, “Oh, I was just a hod knocker.”

You can kid lots with McClory. When I want to write down his name, I out “Sergeant” in front of it, and he says, “No, no, I’d never get to be a sergeant if the war lasted 50 years.”

So I said, “Well, ‘Corporal’ then.” But he said, “No, I ain’t even got sense enough to be a corporal.”

So I said:

Well, we simply can’t have you a private. What would the McClorys of the world think with you only a private?

So we compromised and made his a PFC.

McClory is one of those guys who are good for the morale of an outfit. He is always doing or saying something funny. And he is a good soldier. He is one of the kind who are fanatically loyal.

He has a great affection for his company commander, Capt. John Jay Kennedy of Roslindale, Massachusetts. Once when some gasoline caught fire, McClory threw himself on the captain and knocked him out of the way, saving him from serious injury. Another time, when Capt. Kennedy’s mother was very ill, McClory took the last money he had and telegraphed home to his parish to have a mass said for the captain’s mother.

A number of men in the battalion told me later that McClory was the kind of man they would like to have with them when the going got tough.

Here in England this battalion is living in pyramidal tents, sleeping on cots. But when they start across, they will take only pup tents and two blankets apiece and they will be sleeping on the ground. Their barracks bags with extra clothes and stuff will catch up with them some time in the dim future.

I had been under the impression that all troops recently arrived from the States would be wearing the new infantry boots which we have been issuing in Italy. I had heard that the old cumbersome and unsatisfactory legging was in limbo. But these boys all wore leggings and had never heard of the new boot.

English dogs have begun to attach themselves to the tank destroyer boys, as they do to any and all camps of soldiers. These boys haven’t actually adopted any of them as individual pets, because they can’t take them along to the continent. They are, however, pet-minded. They say that back in the States they had a number of pigs for pets. In that case, you could have your pet and eat it, too.

Völkischer Beobachter (June 2, 1944)

Auch im US-Wahlkampf ist England nur Schachfigur –
Alter Genfer Völkerbetrug in neuem Gewände

Von unserer Stockholmer Schriftleitung

131.700 BRT im vergangenen Monat versenkt –
Großangriffe in Italien zurückgeschlagen

U.S. Navy Department (June 2, 1944)

CINCPAC Press Release No. 430

For Immediate Release
June 2, 1944

Shumushu in the Kuril Islands was bombed by Ventura search planes of Fleet Air Wing Four before dawn on May 31 (West Longitude Date). Several large and small fires were started in the vicinity of the airfield. Anti-aircraft fire was moderate. All of our planes returned.

Address by NYC Mayor La Guardia
June 2, 1944

Delivered at Opening Ceremonies of Free World House, New York City

I am going to talk this evening about the Atlantic Charter. When men are in great sorrow they speak from the innermost of their soul. When men are in great danger, they think clearly and act unselfishly for their own safety as well as that of others. In every catastrophe or each cataclysm in the history of the world, men have sought, in the very midst of great dangers, not only of immediate protection but about ways for future safety, and for avoidance of the causes that brought disaster. Thus, we see in the days when pestilence and epidemics of disease raged, taking terrific tolls of life, that men would give thought not only to healing the sick at the moment but to finding ways and means to avoid future epidemics. In the same way, we have seen right in our own country, in its early days, and even during its growth and development how communities, faced with dangers, always pooled their forces and resources primarily for their own safety but with thought and consideration of near and distant neighbors.

It was in such a period of great danger and in an atmosphere of great sorrow that two great men, leaders of two great people, Winston Churchill and Franklin Roosevelt, met. From this historic meeting on a battleship in mid-ocean came the Atlantic Charter. To understand this covenant, we must know the background. We must consider the situation of that time. We must bear in mind the danger facing Great Britain and the United States. We must not forget the determination of the British people and that of the people of our own country not to submit at whatever cost to Nazi tyranny. All this is necessary to clearly understand what brought forth the Atlantic Charter, and its true intent and meaning.

Let us recall the military situation of that day – August 14, 1941. The Axis powers were at the peak of their strength, military victories and chance of ultimate success. The Battle of Britain, that is war brought right to British soil with civilians the victims, began around August of 1940, and increased its intensity right up to the very day of the Atlantic Charter. Thousands of German planes would raid British cities, day after day, hour after hour.

Coventry, Birmingham, Bristol and every industrial city and port took merciless pounding month after month. In April of ’41, London was constantly under air attack and tons of bombs dropped upon it day after day for weeks and months. Liverpool was partially wiped out in April of ‘41. Portsmouth and other ports were successively attacked during that summer.

Recent changes in the military situation crowd out these unpleasant memories but the fact remains that in August of 1941, it was not at all certain that the Axis forces would not invade Great Britain, and no one knew better than President Roosevelt that if they did, we would have to defend our own shores and prepare for a ten-year war of defense.

The casualties, dead and injured, of civilians in Great Britain, noncombatants, men, women and children, mounted to over 100,000 by that time. Let us look at our own shores. German submarines were within sight of the Atlantic and Gulf coast. Up to May of ‘41, Allied shipping had suffered a loss of 6,127,673 tons of ships. The Battle of the Atlantic raged simultaneously with the Battle of Britain, There were periods immediately preceding the memorable day of August in 1941 when it seemed as if the Axis powers could cut off the source of supply to Great Britain and cut communication between the nations of the British Commonwealth.

Remember, too, that when President Roosevelt and Mr. Churchill met on the Battleship in the Atlantic, their purpose was to prepare a long, defensive warfare and have plans ready in the event of the Nazi occupation of the British Isles. The Axis powers had already occupied, and were holding and bleeding Czechoslovakia and Poland and Finland and Denmark and Norway and a great part of France. Italy, under Fascists and brain-trusted by Nazi mentality, had entered the war and had been successful against the spear-armed army of Ethiopia and had been driving successfully in North Africa. Her navy, at the disposal of the Nazis, was effectively policing the Mediterranean, and there were periods when it was not known whether the defense of the Suez could hold out or not, as a matter of fact, the Canal was often closed to navigation for long periods. It was in June of that year 1941 that the British suffered reverses in Greece and were compelled to evacuate Crete. Germany rushed to the aid of Italy and successfully invaded Yugoslavia and Greece. Salonika was lost, and the Balkans, with the rich oil fields of Romania were under the complete control of the Axis forces.

Dunkirk was the constant reminder of the critical situation and only one day prior to the Atlantic Charter, and surely the news reached the Battleship, Marshal Pétain signed the Collaboration Treaty with Germany which actually turned over to the Nazis all of the resources of France and control of the entire Channel and Mediterranean coast of that country, Germany was pushing Russia hard and by August 14, 1941, Odessa had been encircled, the Nazi troops were advancing between the Dniester and Dnieper Rivers, and had taken control of the mineral regions of Krivoy Rog. The breadbasket of Europe, the Ukraine, had already been evacuated, and the Nazis in control of the entire wheat country.

While there were some people in our country who perhaps could not or would not evaluate properly and fully our own situation and our common interest with Great Britain, and the inevitable attack which would follow a Nazi victory in Europe, the military and naval minds of our country were working frantically to utilize every second of time while our President was pleading and begging Congress for necessary appropriations.

A gloomier military situation could not possibly have existed for Great Britain. Democracy was never nearer complete annihilation than it was then. Our country was never in greater danger – not even on the day when the British marched into Washington and burned our Capitol.

Assurance had to be given to the world, in the midst of this critical situation, in the face of the apparent military successes of the Axis forces, that there was still hope for all the people of the world, and that the United States and Great Britain had pledged their sacred honor to see it through. For centuries to come, the Atlantic Charter must be read and understood and followed and adhered to in the light of that period and what it meant at that time. It cannot be abridged. It cannot be reduced. It cannot be weakened. It must be interpreted right from men’s souls in the way it was written. It cannot be construed now, in the flush of victory, with new ideas and by selfish ambitions, national or personal. None of its fundamental principles can be changed now. It is man’s covenant with Heaven.

What is the Atlantic Charter? Great Britain and the United States “seek no aggrandizement, territorial or other.” Everybody can understand that. The people of the two countries must see that this pledge is carried out.

Second:

They – the governments of the United Kingdom and the United States – desire to see no territorial changes that do not accord with the freely expressed wishes of the peoples concerned.

Can there be any doubt as to the meaning of that? Why all the discussion now, when the war is not even over, as to what the Atlantic Charter means. It means simply that no country or any part of a country can be taken and given to someone against the wishes of the natives, of the inhabitants, of that country. They, alone, are to decide. In other words, territorial confines are to be fixed in accord with the wishes of the people themselves and not by a pencil line drawn arbitrarily on a colored map.

The two nations pledged their respect for “the rights of all people to choose the form of government under which they will live; and they wish to see sovereign rights and self-government restored to those who have been forcibly deprived of them.” And that too is so clear, isn’t it? All of the occupied countries are to be restored and the people of these countries are to decide what form of government they now desire. It also means that colonies or islands that have been unhappy in the past and have had little or no say in their own destiny, in their own government, have been guaranteed the right of self-determination and of deciding whether or not they want to go back to the old status or whether they want to establish their own government. Iceland is the first to indicate her desire to be independent and to become a democracy.

Now we come to the fourth, and here, perhaps, the one cause which, more than any other, has caused wars, is sincerely faced: The two countries “will endeavor, with due respect for their existing obligations, to further the enjoyment by all states, great or small, victor or vanquished, of access, on equal terms, to the trade and to the raw materials of the world which are needed for their economic prosperity.” Let no American be deceived by this. Here is one of the causes of war, and if we start talking about new tariff barriers or if we seek in any way to deviate from this principle, so necessary in a new world order, the boys in our schools today will be in the Third World War.

The Charter then expresses the desire “to bring about the fullest collaboration between all nations in the economic field with the object of securing, for all, improved labor standards, economic adjustment and social security.” There is nothing new in this. It has been talked about. It has been sung for centuries yet very little has been done about it. Here is a solemn pledge, here is the sacred word of honor given by two great people to bring about a decent standard of living for all people and proper adjustment for security. In this respect, to date, man has failed miserably. God Almighty in His Wisdom provided the world with sufficient food and everything man needs. Man has not been able to use it properly. To the contrary, man has hoarded, has pilfered, and has sought to monopolize at the expense of others God’s own gift to all.

And sixth – the sacred promise that “after the final destruction of the Nazi tyranny… that all the men in all the lands may live out their lives in freedom from fear and want.” This is too precious to be left as historic poetry. It must be translated into action. It must be given life and vitality and reality at home and abroad, to present friends and to past foes.

And the seventh – and eighth – which give promise of access to the high seas and the abandonment of the use of force and the notice to the Axis powers, yes it includes Japan too, that they will not be permitted to again arm – that is so clear that it requires no explanation and will permit of no change. Let not the sentimental ones cry too soon for mercy. No mercy was shown at any time anywhere prior to August 14, 1941; no mercy was shown at Pearl Harbor in December of that year. No mercy has been shown to the innocent people of the occupied countries in Europe nor in the Balkans. No mercy has been shown to some of our own prisoners. Every possible semblance of a source or possibility of repetition on the part of the Nazis and Japs must be fully, completely and entirely removed.

Now why do I say all this? There is altogether too much discussion at this time as to what the Atlantic Charter really means. It means exactly what it says. There is too much being said and sometimes from high authoritative sources, that of course it has to be considered in the light of changed conditions. Oh no, not that. It must be construed in the light of the conditions which brought it about and what it seeks to achieve. It must be construed and applied in the light of what we know about human history, ancient and contemporary. That cannot be changed. It must be construed and enforced in accordance with what it meant, what it means and what it will mean to the entire world.

It must be construed in the light of what is best and finest and spiritual in man. It must be construed as Churchill, the man who saved his country – and as Roosevelt, who wants to save democracy meant and intended that it should mean. Not what Churchill, the Parliamentarian, may say occasionally now – not what Roosevelt, facing an election may say later – but what two truly great statesmen said in unison at a time when freedom and liberty were threatened – when two fine souls spoke for the future of their countries and for the safety of the world.

The Free Lance-Star (June 2, 1944)

MAIN ROME DEFENSES FALL IN ALLIED SWEEP
Key cities taken as 5th Army cuts highway

Early capture of capital expected

Bombers strike invasion coast

1,500 U.S. heavies engage in staff aerial assault; results are ‘good’

Sees censorship as war necessity