America at war! (1941–) – Part 3

Editorial: Climactic phase of Jap war near as U.S. victories pile up

americavotes1944

Editorial: What’s in a name?

The American public has been officially informed, to the accompaniment of all the excitement of a party convention plus the usual paraphernalia of a huge Madison Square Garden rally, that the Communist Party is dead! Yes, honest to goodness dead, and Comrade Browder would presumably swear it on a stack of Bibles if he felt that would lend any plausibility to his story. But knowing it wouldn’t, he didn’t.

At any rate, that’s his story and he’s stuck with it. Orders from Moscow, you know. Just as when he changed overnight in 1940 from being anti-Roosevelt and pro-Hitler to pro-Roosevelt and anti-Hitler when he got unexpected orders from Moscow.

If he received orders from the same source tomorrow to start propaganda for a peace settlement with Japan and a movement for the removal of Eisenhower if he didn’t start his invasion by next Tuesday morning, there is little doubt in most American minds as to what Mr. Browder would do.

Anyway, the Communist Party in America is now dead, according to Browder and Stalin, and, we presume, all the fellow travelers are delighted. In its place stands the Communist Political Association – pure as driven snow.

Americans with any memory will remain unimpressed. This new Red outfit will be 100% Russian as its predecessor has always been. It will stand for American policies and ideas only as long as they meet with Stalin’s approval. And it will bear close watching just as the Communist movement always has, regardless of the name it may adopt to suit its own selfish purposes.

Heffernan: Communism changes its colors

McCarthy’s tip makes savage star

Corby: Film studios conserved hard in 1943, the 1944 Film Daily Year Book reveals

By Jane Corby

The Pittsburgh Press (May 24, 1944)

Ernie Pyle V Norman

Roving Reporter

By Ernie Pyle

A B-26 base, England –
Sgt. Kermit Pruitt, whom I spoke of the other day, is the tail gunner in “my crew.” He’s an old cowboy from Arizona – looks like one, acts like one, talks like one. But he’s no hillbilly in the head.

Pruitt is the talking kind. He talks and sings on the slightest provocation. He likes old cowboy songs. They say that every once in a while, he will start singing some cowboy song over the interphone while they’re actually in a bomb run, and the pilot will have to yell at him to shut up.

He likes to tell stories about cowpokes in Arizona. He was telling the other day about one old cowboy who went to the city and registered at a hotel for the first time in his life. The clerk asked him if he wanted a room with running water, and the cowboy yelled, “Hell no! What do you think I am, a trout?”

Pruitt drives the rest of the crew crazy by shooting his tail gun at the most unexpected times. In more than 50 missions he has never yet seen an enemy plane to shoot at, so he breaks the monotony by shooting at gun emplacements and flak ships two miles below. These sudden blasts scare the wits out of the rest of the crew, and Pruitt then catches a little brimstone over the interphone from the pilot.

But this doesn’t faze him, or impair his affection for his pilot. Pruitt says he just shopped around in this Army till he found a pilot that suited him. Back in America he “missed” a couple of trains to avoid coming overseas with an outfit he didn’t like. He says his hunch proved right, for his entire old crew in that outfit were killed on their first mission.

Finally, he got a chance to come with the B-26s. Pilot “Chief” Collins was a wild man then, and most everybody was afraid to ride with him. But when Pruitt saw him handle a plane, he said to himself, “There’s my man.” So, he got on Chief’s crew, and he’s still on it. He wouldn’t think of flying with anybody else.

Pruitt is thin, not much bigger than me, and he usually wears coveralls which make him look even thinner. He goes around poking his head out from hunched-up shoulders with a quizzical half grin on his face. He sure does enjoy living.

Pleasant Valley, Arizona, is Pruitt’s home diggins. He is 30. He is married to a beautiful girl who is part French and 1/32 Indian, and last Christmas Day they were blessed with an heir. Pruitt has a pocketbook full of pictures of his wife and offspring, and he shows them to you every few minutes. If you go out of the room and come back five minutes later, he shows you the pictures again.

I was sleeping near Pruitt one night when the crews were awakened at 2:00 a.m. for an early mission. It was funny to see them come out of bed. Not a soul moved a muscle for about five minutes, and then they all suddenly came out as though shot from a gun.

Pruitt always starts talking as soon as he is awake. On this particular morning, he said:

When the war’s over, I’m gonna get me an Apache Indian to work for me. I’m gonna tell him to get me up at 2 o’clock in the morning, and when he comes in, I’m gonna take my .45 and kill the SOB.

The three sergeants in my crew sort of took me under their wing and we ran around together for two or three days. One night they slicked all up, put on their dress uniforms with all their sergeants’ stripes and their silver wings and all their ribbons, and we went to a nearby town to a singing concert. Then we went into the backroom of the local pub and sat around a big round table with two very old and ugly British women, who were drinking beer and who were very grinny and pleasant. They giggled when Pruitt told stories of his escapades as a cowboy and of his trips to London on leave.

There are about 20 flying sergeants in the same barracks with my crew. They live about the same as the officers, except that they are more crowded and they don’t have settees around their stove, or shelves for their stuff. But they have the same pinup girls, the same flying talk, the same poker game, and the same guys in bed getting some daytime shuteye while bedlam goes on around them.

I got to know all these flying sergeants and I couldn’t help but be struck by what a swell bunch they were. All of them are sort of difficult at first, but they open up when you have known them for a little whole and treat you like a king. They tell you their troubles and their fears and their ambitions, and they want so much for you to have a good time while you’re with them.

With these boys, as with most all the specialized groups of soldiers I have been with, their deep sincerity and their concern about their future are apparent. They can’t put into words what they’re fighting for, but they know it has to be done and almost invariably they consider themselves fortunate to be living well and fighting the enemy from the air instead of on the ground. But home, and what will be their fate in the post-war world, is always in the back of their minds, and every one of them has some kind of plan laid.

Post-War Employment

Völkischer Beobachter (May 25, 1944)

Sowjets sollen Kriegsmaterial abgeben –
Tschungkings Notschreie setzten Wallace in Bewegung

Ein neues Geschäft für die Yankees, aber keine Hilfe für ihre Verbündeten

Zunehmend heftige Kämpfe in Süditalien –
Schwerpunkt der Kämpfe: Nettuno und Pontecorvo

Erfolgsbericht des japanischen Hauptquartiers –
Feindliche Teile im Honanabschnitt vernichtet

U.S. Navy Department (May 25, 1944)

Communiqué No. 521

Pacific and Far East.
U.S. submarines have reported the sinking of fifteen vessels, including one combatant ship, as a result of operations against the enemy in these waters, as follows:

• 1 destroyer
  • 1 large cargo transport
  • 1 large tanker
  • 2 medium cargo transports
  • 7 medium cargo vessels
  • 1 small transport
  • 1 medium tanker
  • 1 small tanker

These actions have not been announced in any previous Navy Department communiqué.

CINCPAC Communiqué No. 45

Carrier‑based aircraft of a Pacific Fleet Task Force commanded by RAdm. A. E. Montgomery, USN, attacked Marcus Island on May 19 and 20 (West Longitude Date) and Wake Island on May 23.

At Marcus, our aircraft in 373 sorties dropped 148 tons of bombs on air­drome installations. Ammunition and supply dumps were destroyed and gun positions and buildings damaged. Only two enemy aircraft were seen in the area: one of these a medium bomber was shot down near the target and the other, also a twin‑engine plane, was strafed on the ground. A small cargo ship was set afire north of Marcus. Our losses were four planes and three men.

One hundred and fifty tons of bombs were dropped on Wake in 354 sorties. No enemy aircraft were sighted in the Wake area. Twenty buildings were destroyed and others damaged; storage areas and other airdrome installations were heavily hit. Several small craft were sunk or damaged. None of our planes was shot down.

CINCPAC Press Release No. 415

For Immediate Release
May 25, 1944

Liberators of the 7th Army Air Force bombed Ponape Island on May 23 (West Longitude Date).

Enemy positions in the Marshall Islands were attacked on May 23 by Mitchell bombers of the 7th Army Air Force, Ventura search planes of Fleet Air Wing Two, Dauntless dive bombers and Corsair fighters of the 4th Marine Aircraft Wing, and Navy Hellcat fighters. Defense installations were bombed and severely strafed.

Brooklyn Eagle (May 25, 1944)

Thrust by Anzio army joins 2 Allied fronts

Trap set for 17 divisions after foe flees coast

It’s ‘where in hell are you going?’ when Yanks meet Anzio patrol

By the United Press

1,000 bombers rip Nazis in air pincers

Italy-based fleet also blasts supply centers in Europe

Victory hailed as assuring fall of Rome

Miscalculation seen involving Germans in major disaster

15 more Jap vessels sent down by U.S. subs

Stimson credits gains to use of fresh men

$20 million boost handed to OWI by House group

Committee which cut outlay last year has its ‘valuable contribution’

americavotes1944

State opens drive against vote frauds

Herlands appointed to set up permanent nonpartisan bureau
By Joseph H. Schmalacker

A sweeping drive to block ballot frauds was opened by the state today when William B. Herlands, Mayor La Guardia’s former Commissioner of Investigations, was called in by Nathaniel L. Goldstein, the Attorney General, to organize a new Election Frauds Bureau in the State Law Department.

The new bureau, authorized by the Legislature under a $50,000 appropriation, will be permanent and will be formed on nonpartisan lines, Mr. Goldstein announced.

Herlands, a former Brooklyn resident, who is now living in Manhattan, was appointed by Mr. Goldstein as the bureau’s organizer with the rank of Special Deputy Attorney General at a salary which will be at the rate of $750 a month. His assignment will be part-time and he will continue to maintain his private law offices.

Must guard sanctity of ballot

Mr. Goldstein said:

While Americans on the battlefield are fighting a war to preserve democracy, we on the home front must vigilantly guard the sanctity of the ballot so that the vote of the soldier in the field and the civilian at home may be properly protected. The right to vote for candidates of one’s own choosing, the secrecy of the ballot and an honest count of the votes cast lie at the very root of our form of government. These rights must be preserved, even though we may differ as to candidates and issues. It is more important that our elections be conducted free from fraud and according to law than that any particular candidate should win.

Mr. Goldstein said Democrats as well as Republicans would be named to staff the new bureau. The appropriation to permit the new agency to be organized was urged upon the Legislature last winter by Mr. Goldstein. This was after a special report had been submitted to him by J. Edward Lumbard Jr., a special deputy who headed an investigation of election frauds last year.

The investigation was centered in Albany and other large population areas, including Brooklyn, where a spot-check last year uncovered evidence of considerable election irregularities. The Brooklyn investigation was in charge of A. David Benjamin, a special deputy.

Herlands familiar with task

Mr. Herlands, before his appointment in the La Guardia administration, was chief assistant to Governor Dewey while the latter was making his investigation of rackets in New York County. He resigned as Commissioner of Investigations March 1.

Attorney General Goldstein said Mr. Herlands was familiar with election law problems and that he and Mr. Lumbard prosecuted a number of election officials for ballot frauds committed in 1932.

Yanks menace Maffin drome south of Sarmi

U.S. nurses fought Buna terrors knee deep in mud, leader says

Al Smith asks FDR aid in giving Jews havens

Hand, tongue cost Patton promotion