America at war! (1941–) – Part 3

Poll: Public inclined to favor curb on First Lady’s trips

By George Gallup, Director, American Institute of Public Opinion

I DARE SAY —
The hateful word

By Florence Fisher Parry

Business heads welcome right to demand vote

Change in NLRB plan called forward step

Postmaster General: You shouldn’t need mail franking to write to that serviceman

Walker to receive degree at Loretto
By Maxine Garrison

17 sailors lost in ship blast

Boat loaded with faulty ammunition

Allied fliers blast Axis in Yugoslavia

americavotes1944

Bricker attacks finance policies

Omaha, Nebraska (UP) –
Governor John W. Bricker, candidate for the Republican presidential nomination, believes the nation’s finances must be put in order and the public appraised of the exact purposes for which its money is spent.

Mr. Bricker spoke at a banquet sponsored by the Nebraska Bricker-for-President Committee last night.

He condemned “New Deal bureaucracy,” “deficit spending” and “absolutism” and said that if he is elected President, he will work for restoration of representative government, abolition of “needless bureaus” and “super-czars,” and for distribution of as much present federal activity as possible “back into the hands of state and local governments – where it belongs.”

In Washington –
Easing deferments for plus-26s wins acclaim in House

Military Affairs Committeemen say action year ago would have cut confusion

U.S. subs bag Jap ships at 1-a-day rate

14 more of enemy’s vessels sunk

Four U.S. forces battering Truk

Two-way air raids hit Carolines base
By William B. Dickinson, United Press staff writer

Allies to face three lines in West Europe

Heinzen calls enemy defenses no myth

Bradley, the doughboy’s general, has full confidence of his men

Shows deep concern for his soldiers
By S. J. Woolf

Stilwell advances in North Burma

Infantry pierces two-mile front

Editorial: Job for states and cities

Editorial: Message from France

Editorial: Cairo filter

Background of news –
Political split of labor?

By Jay G. Hayden

Mark birthday of telegraph

First wireless was Bible question

Government to lift corn freeze order

Millett: Pessimists, be quiet!

All war marriages aren’t doomed
By Ruth Millett

Dodgers still bums, despite new uniforms

By Glen Perkins, United Press staff writer

Ernie Pyle V Norman

Roving Reporter

By Ernie Pyle

London, England – (by wireless)
You pick up a lot of funny stories as you wander around London. Maybe these little yarns have been printed before. If so, you’ll just have to excuse me on the grounds that I’ve been in another world for a long time.

One story has to do with Lt. Gen. Carl Spaatz, head of the American Army Air Forces here. One night he was standing on a balcony, watching a German raid on London. Their aim was very bad that night and they were dropping bombs miles from any target. Gen. Spaatz was furious. He turned to one of his fellow watchers and blurted out, “The damn fools. They’re setting bombing back 20 years.”

Another one has to do with the way Americans have flooded this island and nearly crowded the English off. Actually, the Americans aren’t bad and the English reception is good. Little stories like this help to keep us from getting on each other’s nerves. Americans tell it themselves, so it’s all night. the story is simply that one American said to another, “These English are beginning to act as if this country belonged to them.”

Meets friend’s sister

A year ago, I was with an infantry company of the 1st Division in those bitter mountain battles west of Mateur, in Tunisia. For three days I had been living in a tent with a British captain attached to us as a liaison officer. The night before an attack, he and I marched up to the lines with separate battalions of the same regiment.

Some of you may remember my writing about him at the time. Just after dawn the next day I saw a British officer being carried on a stretcher. When I ran over, sure enough it was my friend, Capt. Jack Morris Enfield. He was badly wounded in the back and arm. Our stretcher bearers carried him to the rear and I never saw him again.

Yesterday I was having lunch in an officer’s club when an American colonel I had known in Tunisia came over. He said he had a British girl at his table he’d like to me to meet. And when he introduced us, it was Capt. Enfield’s sister.

She said her brother had recovered. He still had some pain in his back, but she guessed he was all right as he was now in the paratroops. I had missed him in London by only 24 hours.

I suppose to give this story the proper ending Miss Enfield and I should get married and live happily ever after. That occurred to me too, but when I asked her, she said no. Oh well, lackaday.

Pyle sleeps through raid

You’ve probably heard what a frightful noise the new rocket guns in London make. At least I’d heard about it before coming up here.

Well, we’ve had a few minor raids since I arrived. On the first one I found I was so scared after our Anzio escape that all I could do was just lie there trying to get my breath. A fellow has a kind of cumulative fright after he has had a real close one.

I think also that I was so afraid to hear the awful noise of those rocket guns that I was practically paralyzed. Finally they did go off. I guess I had expected too much, for they didn’t horrify me half as much as I had thought they would. The noise itself isn’t so bad – it’s what it sounds like that terrifies you. For a rocket going up sounds like a bomb coming down. After you’ve learned that and adjusted yourself to it, rocket guns aren’t bad.

P.S.: A few nights later, we had the noisiest raid of my stay here and I slept through the whole thing. When the waiter came to the room next morning, he started talking about the raid and I said, “What raid?” He said, “Quit joking. Why, every gun in London was going last night.” But I didn’t wake up. I wish I could arrange it that way for all raids.

Americans fare well

We Americans in London fare very well on post-exchange rations. We are allowed seven packs of cigarettes a week, two bars of chocolate, two razorblades and a can of fruit juice.

In addition, we can buy such needs as soap, toothpaste, shaving cream, handkerchiefs, fountain pens and dozens of other little things. We aren’t suffering, I assure you.

And along that line, many readers at home are good enough to send me boxes. I appreciate them, but right now I would like to urge you not to send me any more. First, it needlessly takes up shipping space, and second, there isn’t a thing I need.

My family has begged me to ask them for something, but truthfully there’s nothing I want. Nothing, that is, except a dog and a sport roadster and a fireplace and my own easy chair and a dozen new books and lots of spare time. But of course, they all weigh over eight ounces, so never mind.