Workers vote at Ward Company NLRB election

Union hands employees Orson Welles letter

Foremen place bargain fight before WLB

NLRB ruling offers only union protection

americavotes1944

Murray urges fourth term

Steel union roars Roosevelt approval

Cleveland, Ohio (UP) –
CIO President Philip Murray today endorsed President Roosevelt for a fourth term amid thunderous applause of 2,300 delegates attending the opening session of the second biennial convention of the United Steelworkers of America (CIO).

Mr. Murray, who also heads the steel union, said that “the overwhelming majority of the people of this nation… regardless of political affiliation… demand his [Mr. Roosevelt’s] reelection.”

He said:

No man in our lifetime has rendered greater service to his nation than the Commander-in-Chief of our Armed Forces – the President of the United States.

In an attack on the “Little Steel” wage formula, Mr. Murray recalled that when it was formulated two years ago, he said then that it was “unworkable, impractical and that time would prove its application would develop wider discrimination in the wage structure of the nation.”

Without specific reference to the union’s current demand for a 17-cent-an-hour wage increase over the formula, Mr. Murray said:

I attended its baptism, I participated in its confirmation and with the grace of God I hope to attend its wake.

Mr. Murray reaffirmed the CIO’s no-strike pledge and said his organization would never justify a strike “while an American is in a foxhole.”

In Washington –
House slated to act on flood control bill

$800 million measure includes dams for Youghiogheny and Cheat Rivers

U.S., Chinese fliers raid Jap key base

Pittsburgher’s skill saves crew of crippled bomber

Pilot uses ‘muscle power’ on damaged controls to elude Jap ack-ack over Rabaul

Justice warns of antisemitism

americavotes1944

Simms: British worry no longer over U.S. election

Roosevelt or Dewey, they’re confident
By William Philip Simms, Scripps-Howard staff writer

London, England –
The feeling no longer exists among the British, as it once did, that Roosevelt and the Democratic Party somehow owned a copyright on the American war effort.

It is now clear to them that the will to see this thing through has nothing to do with personalities or parties, but is 100% American.

This new attitude is of recent date. The past few months – in fact, the past couple of weeks – have witnessed a remarkable shift regarding the American political scene. It began when both parties in Congress gave their overwhelming endorsement not only to war measures, but to a post-war peace setup based on the pacts of Moscow. It gathered momentum as GOP leaders, one after another, made it plain that the conduct of the war was not an issue.

But perhaps the most noticeable change has taken place since New York’s Governor Dewey made his forthright speech approving the basic principles of American foreign policy as enunciated by Secretary Hull.

Still root for Roosevelt

British leaders are no longer worried over possibility of a Republican victory in the coming elections. They know now that Britain’s partner in the war is America, not merely the Democratic Party, or more specifically, the President.

However, assuming as most everybody does that Mr. Roosevelt and Mr. Dewey will be the candidates, British officials are still rooting for Mr. Roosevelt.

No responsible British authority was willing to be quoted on the subject though privately they talked readily enough. They are scared lest they be accused of meddling in the American elections.

But if Britain could vote, she would go for President Roosevelt.

He is hauled over here as a “sincere internationalist.” People say he entered the war before the United States did. they recall his shipment of arms to Britain at the time of Dunkerque; his destroyers-for-bases deal; his moral declaration of war long before the “shooting war” began. They thank him for Lend-Lease.

Dewey’s stock rises

Governor Dewey, the British feel, is less committed. His stock has risen tremendously since his New York speech and no one doubts that a Dewey administration would have one with less determination or ability than a Roosevelt administration to push the war to a successful conclusion.

The only question concerns his post-war policy.

On that point opinion has not crystalized, but this week’s Economist warns that it won’t make much difference which is elected. American public opinion reacting on Congress after the elections, it said, is what will determine whether the United States collaborates fully with the rest of the world or not.

Jap-held Yanks may get relief

28 Americans die in victory at Hollandia

95 wounded, none missing in action

New airstrips used to blast New Guinea

Allies strike hard at Jap bases
By William B. Dickinson, United Press staff writer

Full surrender still U.S. policy

Hull: Peace condition stands

U.S. may drop Chaplin case

Editorial: Hatch Act under fire

Editorial: Pandering to race hate

Editorial: Pretty sad excuse

Editorial: It’s late for Finland

Edson: Here’s a glimpse at post-war gas for your car

By Peter Edson

Ferguson: Mother’s Day

By Mrs. Walter Ferguson

Background of news –
Post-war taxes

By Frank P. Huddle

CANDIDLY SPEAKING —
This wins the cake!

By Maxine Garrison

No double for Murphy

Ace who downed 27 Nazis wants to visit back home

By Collie Small, United Press staff writer

Ernie Pyle V Norman

Roving Reporter

By Ernie Pyle

London, England – (by wireless)
On the way across Africa I struck up an acquaintance with two British officers – Lt. Col. Colin Linton and Lt. Col. Jack Donaldson.

Linton is a Scot, a Sandhurst graduate and a Regular Army officer. He is not quite 30.

Donaldson did social work before the war. He is in his late 30s. His wife has turned farmer since the war and has written a book about it.

The viewpoints of the two colonels are very dissimilar – a social worker contrasted to a professional soldier – but they are both the kind of people you like. During those long days of waiting in Casablanca we would load around for hours whole those two argued good-naturedly and I pay on the bed and grinned.

We had hoped we might continue to England together, and we did. we flew in a converted bomber with old-fashioned seats.

I had got a big box lunch the night before for us to take along, but this time lunch was provided. We had a conglomeration of passengers, all military, running through four nationalities. Most of them were English, but we also had French, American and German. Yes, I said German. There were three prisoners, from a captured U-boat crew, with a British captain in charge. They sat just ahead of us.

What knowledge justified priority?

We all wondered what knowledge the Germans could possess that would justify flying them with high priority all the way to England, but we didn’t ask questions.

The three were very young, strong of body and good-looking too, and yet with sort of brutal faces. They talked very little among themselves. In fact, they slept most of the trip. The British captain spoke German, but he talked with them only in giving instructions.

Our cabin windows were blacked out during the night. The whole interior of the cabin was sheathed with heavy, padded cloth. But when dawn came the pads were taken down so we could see the sunrise.

The cabin was heated and we were not uncomfortable, except that we were not allowed to smoke. But soon after the takeoff, most of the passengers were asleep in their chairs.

Most everybody has some little quirk about traveling, and mine takes the form of airplane motors playing tunes. It’s just as clear as though there were an orchestra in the cabin. And to me they always play “You Are My Sunshine, My Only Sunshine.”

And so out there over the ocean the motors of our big plane droned on and on with “You Are My Sunshine,” and I couldn’t go to sleep. I think I was the only one awake when, long past midnight, I could sense that we were getting terribly high, for it was getting chilly and hard to breathe.

Motors stop playing tune

Then one of the crew came back to the cabin with a flashlight. He seemed worried, seeing me awake. He flashed his light and said with alarm in his voice, “Do you feel all right?”

I said I did. Then he said, “You sure you fell all right?” I said, “Sure, I feel all right.” Then he said, “If you are feeling faint, let me know.” I said, “All right,” and asked how high we were.

“Fifteen thousand,” he said, and then he added in a tone as though taking me into a horrible confidence: “And we are icing bad.”

Being the worrier type, I immediately expected the plane to fall out of control and plunge into the ocean three miles below us. Suddenly the motors stopped playing my tune, and it seemed to me they were all out of rhythm and vibrating badly.

For an hour I was as tense as piano wire, expecting the worst any moment. But nothing happened, and at last the sandman got the best of me and I slept till daylight.

Col. Donaldson woke me up to look at the sunrise. It was a majestic thing. We were above an ocean of mountainous clouds and the sun came up violently red over the snow-white horizon. Everybody was awake looking, but grogginess got the better of men and after one look I went back to sleep.

Wonderful to be safely in England

Finally after many hours we landed, and we climbed out stiffly. The first cigarette almost knocked us over. The air was snappy, but the sun was shining and it felt wonderful to be safely in England, for I had sort of dreaded the trip.

RAF and USAAF people saw us through the formalities. We ate breakfast in an RAF dining room. In an hour we were in another plane on the way to London. By noon we had landed at an airdrome near London where I had been many times before, and a big bus was waiting to take us into the city.

The British colonels were very happy. They had been away from England for years, and by suppertime they would see their wives. We gave each other our addresses.

I had left London for Africa one dark and mysterious night a year and a half ago. Many times since then I had never expected to see England again. But here it was, fresh and green and pretty.

And although I was still far from home and family, it was a wonderful thing to be returning, for I have loved London ever since first seeing it in the Blitz and it has become sort of my overseas home.