America at war! (1941–) – Part 3

americavotes1944

MacArthur opens door to draft by Republicans

Sole ambition is to help win war by fulfilling ‘such duty as may be assigned to me’

Allied HQ, Southwest Pacific (UP) –
Gen. Douglas MacArthur, in a statement interpreted as meaning that he would be available for the Republican presidential nomination if drafted but would not seek it, said today that his sole ambition was to aid in winning the war “by the fulfillment of such duty as has been or may be assigned to me.”

Gen. MacArthur, in a statement on his correspondence with Rep. A. L. Miller (R-NE) who urged him to run, said his letters were not intended for publication, that they were not politically inspired and that he repudiated the “sinister suggestion that they were intended as criticism of any political philosophy or of any personages in high office.”

He said the American election system was of “so imposing a nature as to be beyond the sphere of any individual’s coercion or decision,” and added in conclusion:

I can only say, as I have said before, I have not sought the office nor do I seek it. I have devoted myself exclusively to the conduct of the war.

My sole ambition is to assist our beloved country to win this vital struggle by the fulfillment of such duty as has been or may be assigned to me.

Two years ago, Gen. MacArthur said he was not a candidate; in March 1942, when he arrived in Australia, he said: “I began the war as a soldier and I will end it as one.”

Last year, when American politicians started demanding that Gen. MacArthur declare his intentions, he said, “let’s get on with the war.”

Hence Gen. MacArthur’s statement today tended to confirm the growing impression in the best-informed quarters here that he would not seek the Republican nomination but would accept it if the party drafted him.

The final sentence of his statement, regarding duty that might be assigned to him, was taken to mean that, if drafted for what he believed the country’s good, he would accept.

‘Personal correspondence’

Gen. MacArthur said:

My attention has been called to the publication by Congressman Miller of a personal correspondence with him.

Their perusal will show any fair-minded person that they were neither politically inspired not intended to convoy blanket approval of the Congressman’s views.

Mr. Miller, urging Gen. MacArthur to run, had said that “unless this New Deal can be stopped this time, our American way of life is forever doomed” and that “I am certain that this monarchy which is being established in America will destroy the rights of the common people.”

Gen. MacArthur called these letters wise, statesmanlike and scholarly and said Mr. Miller’s description of conditions “is a sobering one indeed and is calculated to arouse the thoughtful consideration of every true patriot.”

In his statement today, Gen. MacArthur said:

I entirely repudiate the sinister interpretation that they [his letters] were intended as criticism of any political philosophy or of any personages in high office.

The letters, Gen. MacArthur said, were “amiable acknowledgements” to a Congressman’s letters “containing flattering and friendly remarks to me personally.”

Warns of misrepresentation

To continue them otherwise, he said, was to misrepresent the intent.

Gen. MacArthur said he had not received Mr. Miller’s third letter, urging him to announce his candidacy, and commented:

The high constitutional processes of our representative and republican form of government in which there resides with the people the sacred duty of choosing and electing their Chief Executive are of so imposing a nature as to be beyond the sphere of any individual’s coercion or decision.

Then he continued with his final paragraph saying that he did not seek office but would do the duty assigned him.

Regrets publication

Well-informed quarters expressed belief that Gen. MacArthur obviously regretted the publication of his letters and felt that he had been put on the spot.

Of Mr. Miller’s letter saying that “unless this New Deal can be stopped our American way of life is forever doomed,” Gen. MacArthur had written that “I do unreservedly agree with the complete wisdom and statesmanship of your comments.”

Mr. Miller’s second letter, saying a monarchy was being established in the United States, Gen. MacArthur had called scholarly.

It was felt here that publication of the letters had done Gen. MacArthur no service and, in fact, would seem to be the very thing his supporters would want to avoid because it might antagonize some people.

Finally, it was felt here that the whole Miller affair was a teapot tempest because Gen. MacArthur never had more than an outside chance and that was lessened by Wendell L. Willkie’s withdrawal.

Out here, so far from the United States, it had been felt that any chance for Gen. MacArthur would have been in a Dewey-Willkie deadlock but that now it appeared that Governor Thomas E. Dewey probably would be nominated on the first ballot.

When Mr. Willkie announced his withdrawal, one MacArthur supporter commented:

I’ll bet the Democrats are laughing like hell this morning. Willkie has won the election for them by assuring the nomination of the one man they are sure to beat.

Inquiry opens Wednesday –
Black market in gas rivals Prohibition Era

Public’s help asked to end chiseling
By Marshall McNeil, Scripps-Howard staff writer

Super-transport crosses nation in record time

Lonergan gets 35 years to life

Motion to set aside verdict overruled

First Lady’s auto travels curbed just like yours

Back in 1929 –
Hoover’s plan for dividing world deleted

Ramsey MacDonald feared British opinion

americavotes1944

Johnston denies he’s in politics

Detroit, Michigan (UP) –
Eric Johnston, president of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, who has frequently been mentioned as Republican presidential material, denied today that he had political ambitions and asserted that he was doing a job for business in which politics had no part.

One defendant missing for sedition trial

Attorney hears FBI picked up his client

From League’s dusty files –
Taylor: New bomb strikes U.S. plans to build pipeline across Arabia

Clause banning leases to foreign powers is uncovered in British-Palestine mandate
By Henry J. Taylor, Scripps-Howard staff writer

U.S. bombers blast Truk and 7 protective bases

Japs pounded in Carolines, New Guinea, Kurils; 10,000 of foe face starvation
By Don Caswell, United Press staff writer

OWI perfects plan to speed invasion news

‘Preparation’ of Europe is also mapped

Danish underground helps Fortress crew to escape

Nine uninjured Americans rest in Stockholm, waiting for trip to England – and more raids
By Nat A. Barrows

Aluminum foil cuts losses of Allied raiders

Strips draw fire of Nazi radar guns

Top ace treats reporter to ‘piggyback’ ride in P-38

‘Hang onto teeth,’ Bong tells writer
By Francis L. McCarthy, United Press staff writer

Foster: Teen years big handicap, says Gloria de Haven

Will be glad when she’s old enough to be ‘an actress’
By Ernest Foster

$6,540 sting for each WASP –
Army drops male pilots, but trains ‘green’ women

By Charles T. Lucey, Scripps-Howard staff writer

Army to release ‘human guineas’

americavotes1944

Editorial: Wallace’s junket

The President seems to have a dual purpose in shipping the Vice President off to China. He wants to take the heat off Henry here at home in the pre-convention period. And he wants to counteract, with a few kind words to the Chinese, the British reverses in Burma and India. But we wouldn’t put much money on the line that this junket will succeed.

It is not hard to figure why the President would like to get Mr. Wallace out of the country for a while. Though the Senate has a heavy schedule ahead, he is not particularly needed there as a presiding officer – in fact some are unkind enough to suggest that things will go better without him. He is unpopular with the Southern and conservative groups of the party, which the President is trying to butter up in a campaign year.

If the President decides to force him as a vice-presidential candidate on the next Democratic convention as in 1940, will that task be easier if Mr. Wallace remains out of sight and sound for two or three months? Our guess is that the President has not yet made up his mind whether he will run again, or if so, made his choice for second place on the ticket.

But since left-wing help will be needed in the campaign, he apparently intends to use Mr. Wallace in some capacity. We doubt, however, that Mr. Wallace’s absence will have made the party heart grow any fonder by the time he returns for the convention.

The Chinese situation is more important than the political fortunes of Mr. Wallace, and even less likely to be changed by the President’s simple device of sending him on a trip. Chinese morale is low, because they have fought a long time without appreciable help. Repeated promises have grown dangerously thin. Words, however eloquent and sincere, will not serve for weapons – the weapons required to stand off the Japs, much less lick them.

Why expect Mr. Wallace, a year later, to impress the Chinese with American good intentions if that was not achieved by Congress and the President personally when Mme. Chiang Kai-shek came here asking aid? Americans, for selfish as well as for humanitarian reasons, know that China must be liberated before Japan can be defeated. But it is now a matter of performance.

Our real ambassadors of goodwill to China are Adm. Nimitz, Gen. MacArthur, Gen. Stilwell and Gen. Chennault. Messengers of regret to Chungking, with alibis for the failure of the over-advertised Mountbatten offensive to get started before the rainy season, can accomplish nothing. If Mr. Wallace has powers of persuasion, he had better spend them in London and New Delhi.

Editorial: Well done, Mr. Matthews

Edson: Foreign policy part of the war strategy

By Peter Edson

Ferguson: Tolerance

By Mrs. Walter Ferguson

In Washington –
Rankin calls Guffey some fancy names

‘Holy Joe’ tag given Pennsylvania Senator

CANDIDLY SPEAKING —
Is voting a nuisance?

By Maxine Garrison