America at war! (1941–) – Part 3

In Washington –
Dealer to post lightbulb tax and base price

Must be separated to pass on levy

americavotes1944

Free airmail for votes

Washington (UP) –
Postal officials said today that all post offices have been advised to be vigilant in honoring the free mailing privileges for ballots mailed to and from servicemen under the new soldier vote law.

The act provides that free airmail facilities will be used, wherever practical, for transportation of ballots to servicemen in this country and abroad, the first time such a privilege has been granted anyone. Even government agencies have to pay.

Millett: Maids quit because of lack of privacy

Their rights were trampled on
By Ruth Millett

CANDIDLY SPEAKING —
The female is curious

By Maxine Garrison

Alexander: ‘Black light’ will tell all

Peroxide blonds show up green
By Betty Alexander, United Press staff writer

Speechless after facial wound, Yank writes bomber back home

Explosives head granted review

Ernie Pyle V Norman

Roving Reporter

By Ernie Pyle

With 5th Army beachhead forces, Italy – (by wireless)
In our old gang of Tunisian tankmen of a year and more ago, there was Capt. Jed Dailey, who comes from Sharon, Massachusetts, near Boston.

Jed was through that battle at Sidi Bouzid, and it was he who was so furious about losing his camera and his bedroll and all his films to the Germans.

I wrote about him at the time, saying he bet the Germans would develop those films eagerly, thinking they’d reveal some military secrets, but all they’d find would be a picture of a man in a silly pose with Tunisian flowers stuck behind his ears.

Jed says that after that column he got dozens of letters kidding him about putting flowers behind his ears, but he didn’t care.

He has avenged the loss of his camera, too. Since then, he has personally captured from the Germans an even better one to replace it, and has added a Luger and a fine pair of binoculars for good measure.

Speaks with Harvard ‘A’

Jed Dailey is an unusual person. I think I like him about as much as anybody I know. He is a pure Bostonian. He talks with a Harvard broad “A.” He is a far cry from the farm boy of the Kentucky hills, yet he commands a company of such boys, and they love him.

Following the battle at Kasserine, Jed Dailey was switched from a desk job to the command of a company of tanks. The job of company commander whether it’s infantry or tanks or what, is the greatest job in the Army – the greatest and the toughest.

The boys themselves have told me what they think of Jed Dailey. When he first arrived, they were contemptuous of that cultured accent and had little faith in him. They laugh now and tell how he tries to speak in a flat accent whenever he gives them a talk, but without realizing it lapses back into his broad A.

But he has lived that down, and all their other jokes about him. They’d go anywhere with him now, or for him. He has proved himself in many ways.

Whenever there is a battle he is in his own tank, directing his company. I just had the pleasure of seeing him get the Silver Star for gallantry in action. He has been wounded twice since I saw him in Tunisia.

Whenever his company pulls back from battle, Jed Dailey throws the small details of Army discipline out the back door and the men really get a rest. As they say, “He fights hard and he rests hard.” That’s the way the boys get the most out of it, and they appreciate it.

Likes to go bareheaded

Capt. Dailey is tall and his black hair stands up and roaches back and you’d have to call him good-looking. He nearly always goes bareheaded even in the danger zone. It is not an affectation; he simply likes to go bareheaded. He usually wears an Air Corps fleece-lined leather jacket that he once haggled out of some flier friend.

At the left shoulder of the jacket are two holes – one in front of the shoulder, one in back. The first hole is where a piece of shell fragment went in. The back hole is where it came out after going through his arm. They took a piece out of his leg to patch up his wounded shoulder.

The other officers laugh and say, “Jed wouldn’t sew those holes up for $10,000.” And another one says, “Not only that, but you can see where he has taken his knife and made them bigger.” You don’t talk like that in front of a man when you mean it. Jed just grins and says, “Sure.”

Before that he was wounded in the face from an airburst. When he got out of the hospital from his second wound, he had a week’s leave at Sorrento, the beautiful resort city below Naples. He stayed one night and then returned to his company, everybody at the rest camp thought he was crazy.

Jed said:

It isn’t that I am anxious to fight, but when you are commanding a combat outfit your place is with your outfit. You feel like a heel if you are able to be there and aren’t. I feel lots better since I got back.

Pegler: Frankfurter dictum

By Westbrook Pegler

South American Way

Mexico holds many charms for visitors
By Lorene A. Garloch

Employment Service builds system to aid veterans

New lease on life is aim for every soldier and sailor returning home
By Maxine Garrison

Pirates clash with Indians to even count

Durocher’s player role ended by fractured thumb

Bisons retain hockey crown

He calls it magic –
Pittsburgh’s ‘Dunninger’ flabbergasts G.I.s

Bill McCaffrey stars at canteen
By Si Steinhauser

OPA may delay action on new steel prices

Outcome of wage case awaited

Court dismisses suit against Warner Bros.

U.S. State Department (April 10, 1944)

740.0011 European War 1939/33902: Telegram

The Minister in Switzerland to the Secretary of State

Bern, April 10, 1944 — 7 p.m.
[Received 10:44 p.m.]

My 2204, April 8.

I was able to see Mr. Bonna this afternoon and handed him letter addressed to Mr. Pilet-Golaz as directed your 1147 and 1176 with draft drawn by Daymont. Mr. Bonna expressed his sincere appreciation and assured me that he would not fail to inform Mr. Pilet-Golaz immediately upon his return which he expected would be in time for usual meeting of Federal Council tomorrow morning at 9 o’clock. I also took occasion to say to Mr. Bonna that you planned no publicity. He thanked me and said he presumed that there would be no objection to eventual announcement here.

Mr. Bonna told [me?] the Federal Government had appointed an expert to determine damages in consultation with cantonal and city authorities and if I so desired he would be glad to arrange for a representative of Legation to follow the investigations. In his opinion criteria existed for determining material damage; it was more difficult to fix personal damages. I thanked Mr. Bonna for his offer and stated position as set forth last sentence, section II, your 1176.

HARRISON

Völkischer Beobachter (April 11, 1944)

Deutsche Abwehrkraft wächst

Während die anderen ‚baldige Invasion‘ prophezeien

Das Programm des Staatssekretärs Hull –
Ein verschwommenes Zukunftsbild

U.S. Navy Department (April 11, 1944)

CINCPAC Press Release No. 347

For Immediate Release
April 11, 1944 

Ailuk, Rongelap, Likiep and Utirik Atolls and Mejit Island in the Marshalls have been reconnoitered by our forces and U.S. sovereignty established thereon.

An airfield at Ponape Island was bombed by 7th Army Air Force Mitchells on April 9 (West Longitude Date). On the same day Liberator and Mitchell bombers of the 7th Army Air Force, Dauntless dive bombers and Corsair fighters of the 4th Marine Aircraft Wing and Navy Hellcat fighters dropped 55 tons of bombs on four enemy positions in the Marshalls. Wharves, barracks, hangars, gun positions and airstrips were hit in these raids.

One search plane of Fleet Air Wing Two bombed Ulul Island and another strafed two small craft near Ponape.

The Pittsburgh Press (April 11, 1944)

2,000 U.S. planes rip Germany

Pre-invasion air blows reach new intensity in mighty smashes
By Phil Ault, United Press staff writer

Lehman’s son dies in crash

Kin of ex-Governor on practice flight

Yanks occupy 5 more points in Marshalls

Allies take over most of New Britain
By Willian B. Dickinson, United Press staff writer

Nazi rail lines in Italy blasted

Attacks repulsed at Anzio and Cassino
By Reynolds Packard, United Press staff writer