World relief plan outlined

U.S. takes lead in organizing agency

Radio ‘news analysts’ adopt censorship code

Act to ‘protect profession’s prestige’
By Si Steinhauser

U.S. Navy Department (June 12, 1943)

Communiqué No. 407

North Pacific.
During the night of June 8‑9, U.S. Army patrols on Attu Island killed 66 Japanese and captured one in the area between Sarana Bay and Cape Khlebnikof. There is no enemy activity on other parts of the island.

On June 10, during the afternoon, Army Mitchell (North American B‑25) medium bombers, Liberator (Consolidated B‑24) heavy bombers, and Lightning (Lockheed P‑38) and Warhawk (Curtiss P‑40) fighters made four attacks on Japanese installations at Kiska. Hits were scored along the run­way and on gun emplacements. Barges were strafed by the fighters.

Communiqué No. 408

The U.S. submarines AMBERJACK (SS-219) and GRAMPUS (SS-207) have failed to return from patrol operations and must be presumed to be lost.

The next of kin of personnel in the AMBERJACK and GRAMPUS have been so informed.

The Pittsburgh Press (June 12, 1943)

AIR FLEETS RIP LAMPEDUSA
Fliers blast Italian isle ceaselessly

Ultimatum for surrender rejected, enemy reports
By George Palmer, United Press staff writer

RECORD RAF RAID HITS REICH
Giant planes hammer Düsseldorf, Munster

Yanks plaster 2 Nazi sub bases
By Walter Cronkite, United Press staff writer

Bombers rock Japs on Timor

42 tons of bombs dropped on Jap Indies base

Yank victory sure, Pershing tells AEF

Ickes eases strikes fines for miners

Operators join protest against $5 levy; a local issue
By Fred W. Perkins, Press Washington correspondent

Strike curb due to pass Senate today

Saturday session called to speed legislation to Roosevelt

Gas ban violated –
OPA requested to lift cards of state aide

Maryland official wants panel to hold secret hearing

Paid with U.S. money –
Jap boasts to internees he’s Tokyo representative

Instructor at relocation center also tells them Nippon is ‘sure to win the war’

Shoe stamp No. 18 valid until Oct. 31

U.S. fliers attack Kiska four times

I DARE SAY —
Now I lay me

By Florence Fisher Parry

Vinson orders price ceilings be maintained

Government must absorb added costs on four canned vegetables

Farm supply bill passed by Senate

Zoot suit war ends –
Sharpies and slick chicks seek peace with sailors

Delegation of reet pleat clan tells police word has been passed to ‘cut the rough stuff’

Los Angeles, California (UP) –
Zoot-suit rioting ended today in unanimous expressions of regret and goodwill. The sharpies and slick chicks themselves made the overtures.

Six cars, packed with 53 representatives of East Side gangs, hoisted American flags and white banners of truce above the radiators and paraded through the downtown area to central police headquarters.

They told Capt. Joe Reed, administrative officer:

We’re good Americans. We’re not Mexicans or anything else. And we want you to know we’re passing the word along to cut out the rough stuff.

Police pledge cooperation

Capt. Reed guaranteed police cooperation and took eight of them home himself when he decided their autos were overloaded.

The entire metropolitan area was quiet, with only scattered disturbances which would normally not be noted.

Symbolic of the change was Luis “The Chief” Verdusco, 27-year-old master of an eight-suit zoot wardrobe. Jailed earlier this week, he wore a reet outfit and the ducktail hairdo of a zoot clan.

Appearing yesterday for arraignment on a charge of violating the Deadly Weapon Act, he had a neat haircut and a regulation suit. He said, “I’m through with zooting.”

Army and Navy officials earlier had called off soldiers and sailors who had been ripping the clothes off the zoot-suiters in an attempt to halt the fighting.

Soldiers get warning

Maj. Gen. Maxwell, commander of the southern sector of the Western Defense Command, said adequate punishment by a military court would follow for soldiers guilty of street fighting.

The Navy strengthened shore patrols and made public a telegram from RAdm. D. W. Bagley, commandant of the 11th Naval District, to Alfredo Elias Calles, Mexican Consul here, pointing out that he had acted to cope with the “deplorable situation.”

I deeply regret that individual incidents of hoodlumism in Los Angeles have been interpreted as acts specifically involving nationals of either Mexico or the United States. For the very explicit reason in your telegram, I already have acted to cope with the deplorable situation and will continue to act within my prerogatives until matters are adjusted to our mutual satisfaction… You and I are sympathetic to each other’s position in a situation which should have been classified as simple rowdyism and handled accordingly at its inception.

Hearings begin Tuesday

The admiral also expressed admiration for Mexico, which he said had been increased through understanding of the consul’s “sincere motive.”

Public hearings were scheduled to pry into the background of the rioting. The county grand jury begins an official prove Tuesday. A citizen’s committee and State Attorney General Robert Kenny, meanwhile, pushed their investigation. Mr. Kenny officially denied any foreign motivation of the riots.

German apologizes for sinking U.S. ship

Soviets pledge post-war unity

Pact with U.S. hailed on first anniversary

Spy’s friend sentenced

Chicago, Illinois (UP) –
William Bernard Wernecke, 32, close friend of Herbert Haupt, executed Nazi spy, was sentenced to a five-year prison term and fined $10,000 yesterday for failing to answer his draft questionnaire.

Pattern given for softening of Axis Europe

Pantelleria victory shows how Allied bombers operate

President’s grandson released after inquiry