America at war! (1941--) -- Part 2

Let victory precede talk of 4th term, Ickes says

Washington (UP) –
Secretary of Interior Harold L. Ickes said today that a year and a half before election time is too soon to discuss the question of a fourth term for President Roosevelt.

Mr. Ickes said at a press conference:

We shouldn’t go into any political speculation while we’re at war. Let’s win the war first.

Planes batter Japanese ships

Six vessels damaged in widespread attacks

Adm. Standley assumes full responsibility

Informs Welles remarks about aid to Russia were his own

Gen. Teddy Jr. hunts action aboard jeep

Roosevelt bounces into battle riding jeep ‘Rough Rider’
By Phil Ault, United Press staff writer

Bridge in Burma hit in American bombing

New Delhi, India (UP) –
U.S. planes, attacking Jap-held Burma, raided Pazunosung Bridge, north of Rangoon, with 12 tons of bombs yesterday, a 10th Air Force communiqué said today.

Five direct hits were scored on the north end of the bridge, the communiqué reported, but the full damage has not yet been determined.

British bombers last night attacked objectives at Akyab, strategic Jap sea and air base in western Burma, a communiqué announced.

During offensive patrols yesterday, British fighters made low-level raids on two Jap positions in the Rathedaung area some 25 miles northwest of Akyab.

All British and U.S. planes returned safely.

Editorial: ‘The primary need’

Ferguson: Mrs. America looks ahead

By Mrs. Walter Ferguson

Ernie Pyle V Norman

Roving Reporter

By Ernie Pyle

Ernie Pyle and “That Girl” remarried yesterday, by proxy – all the way from Africa to New Mexico.

On the central Tunisian front – (March 10)
The other night I was sitting in the room of Lt. Col. Sam Gormly, a Flying Fortress commander from Los Angeles. We were looking over a six-weeks-old copy of an American picture magazine, the latest to reach us. It was full of photos and stories of the war; dramatic tales from the Solomons, from Russia, and right from our own African front. The magazine fascinated me and, when I had finished, I felt an animation about the war I hadn’t felt in weeks.

For in the magazine the war seemed romantic and exciting, full of heroics and vitality. I know it really is, and yet I don’t seem capable of feeling it. Only in the magazine from America can I catch the real spirit of the war over here.

One of the pictures was of the long concrete quay where we landed in Africa. It gave me a little tingle to look at it. For some perverse reason it was more thrilling to look at the picture, than it was to march along the dock itself that first day. I said:

I don’t know what’s the matter with me. Here we are right at the front, and yet the war isn’t dramatic to me at all.

It’s just hard work

When I said that, Maj. Quint Quick of Bellingham, Washington, rose up from his bed onto his elbow. Quick is a bomber squadron leader and has been in as many fights as any bomber pilot over here. He is admired and respected for what he’s been through. He said:

It isn’t to me either. I know it should be, but it isn’t. It’s just hard work, and all I want is to finish it and get back home.

So, I don’t know. Is war dramatic, or isn’t it? Certainly, there are great tragedies, unbelievable heroics, even a constant undertone of comedy. It is the job of us writers to transfer all that drama back to you folks at home. Most of the other correspondents have the ability to do it. But when I sit down to write, here is what I see instead: Men at the front suffering and wishing they were somewhere else, men in routine jobs just behind the lines bellyaching because they can’t get to the front, all of them desperately hungry for somebody to talk to besides themselves, no women to be heroes in front of, damned little wine to drink, precious little song, cold and fairly dirty, just toiling from day to day in a world full of insecurity, discomfort, homesickness, and a dulled sense of danger.

The drama and romance are here, of course, but they’re like the famous falling tree in the forest – they’re no good unless there’s somebody around to hear. I know of only twice that the war will be romantic to the men over here. Once when they see the Statue of Liberty, again on their first day back in the hometown with the folks.

And speaking of drama, I’ve just passed up my only opportunity of being dramatic in this war. It was a tough decision either way.

Too old for heroics

As you’ve seen, correspondents at last are allowed to go along on bombing missions. I am with a bomber group that I’d known both in England and elsewhere in Africa, and many of them are personal friends by now. They asked if I cared to go along on a mission over the hot spot of Bizerte.

I knew the day of that invitation would come, and I dreaded it. Not to go, brands you as a coward. To go might make him a slight hero, or a dead duck. Actually, I never knew what I’d say until the moment came. When it did come, I said this:

No, I don’t see any sense in my going. Other correspondents have already gone, so I couldn’t be the first anyhow. I’d be in the way, and if I got killed my death would have contributed nothing. I’m running chances just being here without sticking my neck out and asking for it. No, I think I won’t go. I’m too old to be a hero.

Fliers agree with him

The reaction of the fliers astounded me. I expected them to be politely contemptuous of anyone who declined to do just once what they did every day. But their attitude was exactly the opposite, and you could tell they were sincere and not just being nice.

One of them said:

Anybody who goes, when he doesn’t have to, is a plain damned fool.

Another pilot said:

If I were in your shoes, I’d never go on another mission.

A bombardier with his arm in a sling from flak said:

You’re right. A correspondent went with us. It wasn’t any good. He shouldn’t have done it.

To hell with vanity

A lieutenant colonel, who had just got back from a mission, said:

There are only two reasons on earth why anybody should go. Either because he has to, or to show other people he isn’t afraid. Some of us have to show we’re not afraid. You don’t have to. You decided light.

I put this all down with such blunt immodesty because some of you may have wondered when I’m going along to describe a bombing mission for you, and if not, why not. I’m not going, and the reason is that I’ve rationalized myself into believing that for one in my position, my sole purpose in going would be to perpetuate my vanity. And I’ve decided to hell with vanity.

Ernie Pyle and ‘That Girl’ are rewed by proxy

He’s in Africa; she’s in New Mexico as ceremony is performed

“That Girl” and Ernie Pyle were remarried yesterday in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The marriage was by proxy.

Ernie was at the front with U.S. forces in Africa when the ceremony occurred. His former (and now his present) wife, was in Albuquerque.

Ernie – roaming reporter for the Pittsburgh Press and many other newspapers – has been writing from Africa dispatches which have attracted worldwide attention.

Meanwhile, in Albuquerque, his former wife has been working for the government.

Traveled world together

For many years they had traveled around the country and the world, and in Ernie’s columns she had often been mentioned as “That Girl.” Then came a divorce.

The Pyles had a home in Albuquerque. You may remember Ernie’s columns about how it was built, and how he took time off to build a fence around the yard. It was the only home the Pyles had had for years – because Ernie’s job was to travel, and they never lit long enough to have a regular address.

Divorced last April

Ernie and his wife, Geraldine Siebolds Pyle, were divorced last April.

The marriage was performed by Judge Neil McNerney, E. H. Shaffer, editor of the Albuquerque Tribune and close friend of Mr. Pyle, acted as Mr. Pyle’s agent through authority granted by the judge advocate of the Army in North Africa.

And hundreds of newspapermen who know Ernie and Gerrie – including a whole host of our paper – offer congratulations. And are happy.

Clapper: Moscow mission

By Raymond Clapper

Truman Report warns of grim tasks ahead

Axis can never equal our production but U-boat, food perils stand

Wherry wary after meeting the President

He does all the talking, Mrs. Luce says, following reception
By Richard Debrown, United Press staff writer

Washington –
The strictly-social White House reception for freshmen Congressmen developed a political aftermath today when Senator Kenneth S. Wherry (R-NE) revealed he was “more convinced than ever,” after meeting President Roosevelt, that:

No man, especially one endowed with such persuasive power, should be entrusted with presidential powers for more than two terms.

Senator Wherry’s views were contained in a penciled statement which he handed this correspondent as he left the reception last night.

He wrote:

I was fully aware of the might his persuasive powers had been to him, and I can now understand how he persuaded men to serve him and his purposes.

Constitutional limit needed

The only safeguard for the American people is to adopt a constitutional amendment limiting the tenure of office of the President to two terms.

Senator Wherry explained that during part of the reception, he had “sat right next” tp Mr. Roosevelt and had talked to him.

Rep. Clare Boothe Luce (R-CT), who committed something of a social faux pas by mentioning politics in her acceptance of the invitation to the reception, admitted she had “a very charming evening.”

Exchange ‘good evenings’

She was asked:

Did you get a chance to talk politics with the President?

She replied:

No, he did all the talking.

Mrs. Luce was asked what went on when she met the President. She replied in measure tones:

I said “good evening.” He said “good evening.” That was all.

Casablanca trip ‘interesting’

She said the President’s discussion of his Casablanca trip was the “most interesting part of the evening” so far as she was concerned.

Rep. Winifred Stanley (R-NY) seemed a little uncertain about what a freshman Republican should say after calling on a Democratic President. She begged off from comment because:

I’ve got laryngitis – anyhow, I’m not Clare Luce.

Senator Homer Ferguson (R-MI) said Mr. Roosevelt told him that after the war he would like to see three East-West and four North-South highways.

He added:

Mr. Roosevelt said that he was afraid he would have some trouble getting the projects through the Senate because each Senator would want a road to go through his state and town. I told him I didn’t care what towns the roads went through, but that Michigan would build the cars to go on them.

Will Rogers enthusiastic

Among the most enthusiastic was Rep. Will Rogers Jr. (D-CA), who said:

Gee – he’s the master. He’s simply tops. He always is and he always has been.

All told, 117 freshmen Congressmen attended.

Drinks, food, smokes

During the comparatively brief affair – the reception lasted from 8:30 to about 10 p.m. – the new members had their choice of beer and Coca-Cola, cheese and crackers, cigars and cigarettes.

As one new Senator left the ornate East Wing, he wisecracked to reporters:

War is hell, ain’t it, boys?

He was a Republican.

U.S. Navy Department (March 12, 1943)

Communiqué No. 307

North Pacific.
On March 10:

1. During the morning, U.S. aircraft attacked Japanese positions at Kiska and scored bomb hits in the target area.

2. Later in the morning, a force of Liberator heavy bombers (Con­solidated B‑24), Mitchell medium bombers (North American B‑26) and Lightning fighters (Lockheed P‑38) again attacked enemy installations at Kiska. Anti-aircraft batteries were bombed and strafed at low level and hits were scored. Three buildings in the camp area were damaged by heavy bomb hits. Anti-aircraft fire was encountered but all U.S. planes returned.

South Pacific.
On March 11, during the early morning, Liberator heavy bombers (Consolidated PB4Y) carried out minor bombing attacks on Japanese positions at Kahili and Ballale in the Shortland Island area and at Vila in the central Solomons. Results were not observed. All U.S. planes returned.

The Pittsburgh Press (March 12, 1943)

MEAT-BUTTER RATION BEGINS MARCH 29
Use of cheese and fats also to be curbed

Margarine, shortening on list; each person gets 16 points a week
By Joseph W. Grigg Jr., United Press staff writer

Yanks blast Rouen; British hit Stuttgart

Germans stab at London; Norwegians destroy five raiders
By Harrison Salisbury, United Press staff writer

1st Army holds –
3 Nazi thrusts fail in Tunisia

U.S. planes blast convoy in Mediterranean
By Virgil Pinkley, United Press staff writer

American airmen blast Kiska twice

Hitler bases hopes on subs, Knox says

An income catch –
Tax discount (all of 3%) latest plan

You’d have to pay 2.5 years in 1; Roosevelt hits Ruml Plan

Father missing in action saw son’s photo in Press

Soldier elated by picture of baby born after he left U.S.

I DARE SAY —
Out of the frying pan–

By Florence Fisher Parry