America at war! (1941--) -- Part 2

Ferguson: Who is wise?

By Mrs. Walter Ferguson

In Washington –
Hull unprepared for the role of a returning hero

President and other government leaders meet plane bringing Secretary of State back from historic Moscow Conference

CANDIDLY SPEAKING —
How’d you like ‘em?

By Maxine Garrison

Millett: ‘Plain laziness’ may keep women from defense jobs

Uncle Sam says ‘either you want to work or you don’t’ so provide your own answer
By Ruth Millett

Rainstorm aids girl to win stardom – name, Bette Davis

By Erskine Johnson

Ernie Pyle V Norman

Roving Reporter

By Ernie Pyle

This is the second in a short series of columns by Ernie Pyle about his impressions and experiences while enjoying a brief rest at home. Mr. Pyle soon will be back on the wat fronts to resume his epic reporting about our fighting men.

This is certainly an immodest kind of column for a fellow to be writing, but then of course I am an immodest fellow.

Which is just a way of introducing our thesis for today, entitled “What Does It Feel Like to Be a Celebrity?” The subject being, of all people, me in person!

I wouldn’t be writing like this except that people – all the way from Washington bellhops clear up to my own Aunt Mary on the farm – tell me that I am now a celebrity. So, let’s assume for purposes of no-argument that it’s true, and get on with our business of “what does it feel like to be one?”

Well, it feels pretty good. It has its ups and its downs. Every now and then you get sort of panicky. Once in a while you get resentful. Most of the time you just feel too rushed and a little bewildered, and kinda pleased.

I suppose the main thing is that 99 out of 100 of us are born with a certain amount of vanity, or pride, or egotism or whatever you want to call it. And when you hit a point where you’re recognized every time you step out, you can’t help but feel short of sparkly inside.

Furthermore, you get a lot of things by being “known” that you’d never get otherwise. I mean stores will get “shortage” articles from under the counter and sell them to you; railroad and airline men will give you a reservation after turning other people away; the plumber and the typewriter repairman, who aren’t accepting calls before a week from Saturday, will come immediately when you phone. All that is wonderful.

‘Blooey’ goes your private life

On the deeper side, I think anybody who tries as hard as I do to write a good column would be dishonest if he said the compliments of thousands of people meant nothing to him. The compliments of just one person mean a lot to me. When you finally get enough compliments to make you a celebrity, you feel hugely rewarded.

Celebrity, though, has its drawbacks. Your private life vanishes. The most sincere plaudits of people, when multiplied and piled too high, can become something obsessing you, claiming your life away from you.

Since returning to America two months ago, we have had hundreds and hundreds of offers, requests, demands, and even time-taking favors bestowed upon us. We have declined nearly everything proposed, yet the mere act of saying “No,” if you have to say it enough times, eventually consumes much of your time and most of your mind.

Under normal conditions, a man gives most of his time to his job and his family. That’s the way it should be.

But when the bolt of fame strikes, a guy better be mighty careful or he’s going to wind up giving most of his time to his new career of being a celebrity, and practically no time at all to his family and real friends. And the job which gave him prominence in the first place will be done merely at odd moments, with his mind on something else.

Ernie kids his famous self

I want to avoid that, and believe I can, but I think it takes a little practice. I’m not concerned that my head will be turned by too much attention; but I am concerned that lack of experience may make me fumble considerably before I learn the right method of achieving a balanced life again. Apparently, you just have to enlarge yourself inside, to make room for a little more than you’ve bargained for. It’s a harder nut to crack than you might think.

Actually, we have a lot of fun, my friends and me, kidding ourselves about this new fame.

For example, the day our book came out. The New York Times Book Review Section gave it the entire front page, and a wonderful review it was, too. So, after reading it through elatedly a couple of times, I thumbed through the rest of the section, and then said to my friend Lee Miller:

Why, the dirty so-and-so’s, they’ve also reviewed some other people’s books in this issue!

I think that on the whole I’m fairly safe from the perils of celebrity. For one thing, it came a little too late. I’m 43, and it doesn’t matter so much anymore.

My life has been pretty full and pretty pleasant; I’ve got most everything I ever wanted, but I’ve had some blows, too; I’ve contributed a little and received a great deal. Through the years, I did my job the best I could, and this is what happened. I didn’t plan it, and I didn’t ask for this, I could have done without it, but now that it’s here, I’m pretty sure I can take it.

As I said in the beginning, this is all kind of immodest. But it’s all kind of true, too.

Pegler: Fellow travelers

By Westbrook Pegler

Clapper: Looking back

By Raymond Clapper

Maj. de Seversky: Independence still lacking in air forces

Adoption of new setup by Army fails to give true airpower
By Maj. Alexander P. de Seversky

Völkischer Beobachter (November 12, 1943)

Auch eine Folge der Moskauer Konferenz –
USA.-Kontrollkommission soll Italien aussaugen

Die Feiglinge der Kapitulation weiter gedemütigt

Die letzten Kämpfe im südlichen Pazifik –
Der Mißerfolg der ‚Inselspring-Strategie‘

U.S. Navy Department (November 12, 1943)

Communiqué No. 482

Mediterranean.
The destroyer USS BEATTY (DD-640) was sunk in the Mediterranean on Novem­ber 6, 1943, as a result of enemy aircraft action. The next of kin of the casualties aboard the BEATTY have been notified.

PROCLAMATION 2600
Thanksgiving Day, 1943

By the President of the United States of America
A Proclamation

For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
November 11, 1943

God’s help to us has been great in this year of march toward worldwide liberty. In brotherhood with warriors of other United Nations our gallant men have won victories, have freed our homes from fear, have made tyranny tremble, and have laid the foundation for freedom of life in a world which will be free.

Our forges and hearths and mills have wrought well; and our weapons have not failed. Our farmers, Victory gardeners, and crop volunteers have gathered and stored a heavy harvest in the barns and bins and cellars. Our total food production for the year is the greatest in the annals of our country.

For all these things we are devoutly thankful, knowing also that so great mercies exact from us the greatest measure of sacrifice and service.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT, President of the United States of America, do hereby designate Thursday, November 25, 1943, as a day for expressing our thanks to God for His blessings. November having been set aside as “Food Fights for Freedom” month, it is fitting that Thanksgiving Day be made the culmination of the observance of the month by a high resolve on the part of all to produce and save food and to “share and play square” with food.

May we on Thanksgiving Day and on every day express our gratitude and zealously devote ourselves to our duties as individuals and as a nation. May each of us dedicate his utmost efforts to speeding the victory which will bring new opportunities for peace and brotherhood among men.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the seal of the United States of America to be affixed.

DONE at the city of Washington this eleventh day of November, in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and forty-three, and of the Independence of the United States of America the one hundred and sixty-eighth.

FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT

CORDELL HULL
Secretary of State

The Pittsburgh Press (November 12, 1943)

RAIDS RIP ENEMY LIFELINES TO ITALY
Twin attacks sever French coastal road

Yanks hit Riviera from Mediterranean, RAF, from Britain
By Collie Small, United Press staff writer

Yanks make small gains against Germans in Italy

Bitter winter weather and enemy counterattacks show Allied push
By Harrison Salisbury, United Press staff writer

A step nearer Tokyo –
Yanks clinch beachhead on Bougainville Island

Japs attempt in vain to drive Yank troops off stronghold in the Pacific
By Brydon C. Taves, United Press staff writer

U.S. destroyer sunk in Mediterranean

Dice, dancing and slumber?
Draft status queries irk union leaders at Brewster

Brace of secretaries admit deferment as 2-B men, but one of them suffers from ulcers

EVERYONE works Dec. 7

Washington –
President Roosevelt has decided against any official observance of Dec. 7, the day the Japs attacked Pearl Harbor in 1941. He prefers that the date be marked only by harder work and harder fighting.

I DARE SAY —
The forgotten man

By Florence Fisher Parry