Another enemy ship sunk by plane in Pacific

Year in Mediterranean –
Losses favor Allies 6–1

United Nations casualties near 100,000

parry2

I DARE SAY —
All but the shouting

By Florence Fisher Parry

I wasn’t in New York when the lights went up again on Broadway, but I’ve been there at other celebrations and I have a good idea what it was like. I can just see them moving along Broadway, those long, wide black rivers of men and women. It must have been a great night. It was a great celebration, not only in New York, but everywhere.

But why not? Why not? The dimout was over. What could that mean but that the war was practically over. And look at the headlines! The Moscow Conference ending in a blaze of glory. Toasts! Toasts to the brave New World that the great victorious powers were going to build tomorrow!

And tomorrow – tomorrow was just over the horizon; the rosy streak of its dawn could already be seen.

An end to sacrifice. An end to production. An end to worry and work. Come out of the pits all you miners! Strike! Lay down your tools! Ask for more money! Get your cut quick before the big payoff!

That is the spirit. It’s sweeping the country. It’s sweeping it like a plague. Where did it start? Whence did it come? What lent it its impetus?

What starts mass mood such as this victory hysteria, and what in God’s name can be done to stop it? For something must stop it. Something must wake us from such a delirium. For if we don’t wake up, we still can lose the war – not technically, perhaps, but in essence we can lose it still.

Attack is costly

The headlines of the newspapers for the last few days have been the most ominous, the most frightful we have had since the war began. The coal industry, the backbone of our whole war effort, was stopped in its tracks by hundreds of thousands of men whose own sons are dying and thirsting and despairing on battlefields over the earth.

Have you read what’s been happening to Gen. Clark’s army in Italy, what the losses are in American men? Just how costly our attack is? Are we forgetting that attack is always more costly than retreat? Are we forgetting that the more the initiative of battle passes into our hands, the more our losses are bound to be?

Do we remember what Gen. Eisenhower said just the other day, that this very initiative of ours, the very fact that the attack is indeed passing into our hands, is draining our supply of blood plasma?

I was talking to one of the vital workers of the Red Cross Blood Bank, and what she reported made my heart turn sick. She said that for two weeks their quota of 4,600 pints of blood plasma had not been met; that some donors registered for appointments failed to show up – didn’t even bother calling to postpone or cancel their appointments.

I asked her what they did when they had these cancellations.

She said:

Oh, we get on the telephone and call as many persons as we can from whom we think we might be able to get a donation. And then, right there in the Wabash Building, there are a lot of us workers who come through again; but we’re not allowed to give our blood more often than once every two months.

I dare say it could be worse. I don’t think people mean to be negligent or selfish. It’s just that they are beginning to think that it doesn’t matter anymore, that by this time the Red Cross must have more blood plasma than it can use.

First stone?

That’s fine. That’s just fine. But can you cast the first stone, dear reader? Can I? How have we felt about giving our blood lately?

How long has it been since you made an appointment down at the Wabash Building or wherever a blood bank is stationed? How long has it been since you gave your last donation? Three months? Six months?

You meant then to come back again, didn’t you? What has kept you from going? Hasn’t it been because you, too, have been inoculated by this mass mood of victory, this mood of it’s-all-over-but-the-shouting?

Better call up. Better call GRant 1680. Better make your appointment now. A pint of blood. You know it’s nothing. It doesn’t even stop your workday.

For the day of our attack is upon us, and more blood will be spilt, more lives lost from this day forward than ever before in the bloodiest days of the war.

When Gen. Eisenhower says that our reserves of blood plasma are being gravely drained, it’s time for us to stop short and think – and give our blood.

Not next week. Not tomorrow, but TODAY.

The attack is on, and attack is more costly than defense. We needed blood plasma before. We need it now more than ever. It’s the one universal, cheap, easy gift.

Make your appointment NOW.

Fee payments to musicians are opposed

Union warns it may ask U.S. to take over some radio networks

Navy casualties 30,948

Washington –
Casualties announced by the Navy Department for the Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard since the beginning of the war reached 30,948 yesterday. This included 12,272 dead, 5,498 wounded, 8,989 missing and 4,189 prisoners of war.

Disloyal Japs give ‘orders’ to camp chiefs

75 held virtual prisoners by 5,000 at ‘indignation’ meeting

Salvaging Normandie took know-how, engineer says

Raising of former luxury liner to be described at safety council meeting here

CIO told to keep free from pledge in 1944 election

Hillman, speaking for political committee, says Roosevelt is present choice; hostile Congress condemned

Coal output drops 1,500,000 tons a week

House committee cuts $1 billion from budget estimates

Only much-criticized OWI escapes; three-fourths of savings made at request of Navy Department

In Washington –
Nye approves ban on treaty 23 years ago

Senator flays arguments for post-war policy resolution

Simms: Hull triumphs over handicap in Moscow visit

Diplomats sing praises of secretary for his masterful work
By William Philip Simms, Scripps-Howard staff writer

Chinese, Japs clash in Burma

Men guarding supply route disperse Nipponese

Regiment pays heavy toll in one year of campaign

Reporter meets Yank force in Scotland, follows it through Tunisia to Italy
By William H. Stoneman

Marines dig in for a stay on Bougainville

U.S. forces display calm courage in infiltrating Jap-held area
By Hal O’Flaherty

Outgunned but not outfought –
Imperial Jap Navy handed sound thrashing by Yanks

Small U.S. task force not only protects landing but even inflicts losses on enemy
By Francis McCarthy, United Press staff writer

Wounded airmen report –
Zeros wait over wreckage of plane to wipe out crew

When life rafts fail to inflate, Japs turn away believing all aboard are dead

National election results –
Dewey disavowal weakens attempt to ‘stop Willkie’

Forthright statement by ‘poll’ leader undermines Hamilton’s search for rival candidate
By Lyle C. Wilson, United Press staff writer

Youngest general to be 34 on Nov. 10

Comedy hit, The Doughgirls, arriving in town Monday

Three gals on the loose in Washington kick up a riot or two in Nixon offering