America at war! (1941--) -- Part 2

U.S. casualties 7,400 in Sicily

British losses placed at 11,835 in campaign
By Ned Russell, United Press staff writer

15th Army Group HQ, Sicily, Italy – (Aug. 20, delayed)
Gen. Sir Harold R. L. G. Alexander, Allied ground commander in the Mediterranean theater, revealed today that 7,400 U.S. soldiers were killed, wounded or captured in the conquest of Sicily, which he said clinched the ultimate defeat of Germany.

The 38-day campaign put the Germans in the worst predicament they have yet faced, Gen. Alexander told Anglo-American war correspondents.

He said:

The Germans are in a jam. We are closing in on them now. We are bound to win now and the Germans must be thinking they are bound to lose. We’ve got them all right, but it will take time.

British lose heaviest

The British suffered the heaviest casualties in the Sicilian campaign, losing 11,835 dead, wounded and missing, he reported, while Canadian casualties totaled 2,388 for a grand total for all Allied forces of 21,623. The figures covered the period up to last Tuesday, when the campaign ended with the capture of Messina.

An official statement issued at Allied headquarters in North Africa last Wednesday estimated Allied casualties at 25,000, but this figure presumably included air force and naval casualties, while Gen. Alexander’s report covered only ground forces. The headquarters statement also estimated Axis dead and wounded at no fewer than 82,000 and Axis prisoners at more than 135,000.

30,000 killed, wounded

Gen. Alexander said the enemy lost 30,000 of their original 300,000 troops in killed and wounded, and 134,000 in prisoners. The original Axis forces comprised 94 Italian battalions assigned to coastal defenses, four Italian divisions of mobile reserves and two German divisions in “poor, widely-scattered positions” as battle groups, he said.

Many Sicilian soldiers deserted, donned civilian clothes and returned to their villages and farms. Gen. Alexander said he was not concerned with them unless they engaged in sabotage or espionage, which, he warned, would be punished with death.

Italians collapse

Gen. Alexander said the Italians “just collapsed” when the Allies landed, but the Germans fought bravely and hard to the end.

Gen. Alexander revealed he originally expected the Sicilian campaign to take up to three months, and was agreeably surprised when it took only one month and one week. He said the fighting taught the Allies many lessons, especially in the use of airborne troops, which he acknowledged had not been perfected completely.

He singled out U.S. Army Engineers for special praise, paying tribute to their “remarkable road-building feats in the wild Sicilian mountains.”

Fix bridges quickly

He said:

I visited the American front for several days and never saw such remarkable military engineering accomplishments. It was magnificent. The American engineers built miles of road at night over mountains you wouldn’t think you could get a mule over.

The Germans blew up 15 bridges in 20 miles along one sector of the coast, but they delayed the Americans only a matter of hours. It was a wonderful feat.

The Americans went from Palermo to Messina in a fortnight. You wouldn’t hike it in a fortnight in peacetime.

Enemy’s casualties put at 1,222,000

London, England (UP) –
Official British figures disclosed today that Axis casualties in the Mediterranean and African theaters since Italy’s entry into the war in June 1940, total 1,222,000 killed, wounded and captured – more than two-thirds of them Italian.

The Axis casualties included 227,000 killed or wounded and 995,000 prisoners.

British Empire losses in the same theaters up to last May 18 were placed at 220,000 killed, wounded or prisoners, including 35,000 casualties in the battle of Tunisia. In addition, British, American and Canadian casualties in Sicily have been estimated at 25,000 men.

Nazis fail to trick Yanks with captured Fortresses

U.S. air crews quick to spot Trojan Horse planes posing as stragglers
By Nat A. Barrows

Bond buying linked to new tax program

‘Induced savings’ plan tied up with slight rate revision

Billy Phelps, 78, dies at New Haven home

Yale professor famed as author, editor and critic

Mail order house ordered to grant union checkoff

WLB overrides Montgomery Ward’s contention that anti-strike act is unconstitutional

parry2

I DARE SAY —
Parryscope

By Florence Fisher Parry

Impressive as is the photograph of the dignitaries assembled before the grandiose background of the Château Frontenac, there is one figure lacking to make it perfect: Gen. MacArthur, the great war hero of them all!

I shall be glad when events point their arrow his way, and that’s our pent-up idolatry which is waiting in the hearts of us all, to heap upon this herp, may at last find full relief.

It is an odd thing about heroes. The spell which they cast has little to do with their actual accomplishments; it springs from something more – an indefinable fire which ignites the hearts of their idolaters into a blind unalterable devotion.

Napoleon had it – nor cruelty nor greed nor utter defeat were able to extinguish it. His tomb is still a shrine. Lenin had it. Lincoln had it. Washington had it, and Robert E. Lee, Gen. de Gaulle certainly possesses it.

And Gen. Douglas MacArthur thus has it.

We may cheer Gen. Patton; we may delight in Gen. Montgomery, we may burst with pride and satisfaction in Gen. Eisenhower. But they will never be heroes in that deathless way that makes a hero a martial saint. They will never be able to cast the spell that makes men willing to perform deathless deeds in their name.

What is that quality that makes a warrior a her such as this? Of all our generals, only Gen. MacArthur possesses this strange attribute. We know that come the day war interest is at last focused in the Pacific, this man will emerge the greatest figure of them all.

And I for one do not like the way his exploits have been played down. From the time he was so thrillingly rescued from Bataan, and overnight became the world’s No. 1 idol, he has been PLAYED DOWN.

Let the testimony to disprove it be placed before us to read.

Heaven Can Wait

One of the most delightful motion pictures of the season is now showing at the J.P. Harris Theater: Heaven Can Wait; and I hope its audiences will be made up of a goodly number of those of my own generation, for I suspect that of all the enthusiasts it will attract we are in positions to appreciate its fine flavor most.

It is just charming. Its very pace and tempo, which to the younger generation may seem slow and deliberate, seem to me to add to its leisurely distinction. It provided me, I know, the very most satisfying evening at the movies I can remember having enjoyed this summer.

The dialog is as flavorful as a smooth old wine; its humor is as mellow as it is malicious; its settings and costumes are a sheer delight; and its story as charming and reminiscent as a lovely old plush album. Please, I adjure you, make a point of taking mother with you, yes and father too. And even grandmother. It is for every age, and for all gentlefolks!

Have you read Western Star? It did not affect me as did John Brown’s Body, although its publication so soon after the death of its fine author reminds us with extraordinary sharpness what we have lost in the death of Stephen Vincent Benét.

The moon

The moon, this month, never shone more furiously, nor shed a sterner invitation to our imaginations to ponder the terrifying meanings of this world conflict.

One of the most incredible feats of the human mind is the success with which we have managed to rationalize and accept the wholesale demolition of property and lives. It is as though, arming our countries and our armies, we have succeeded also in encasing our imaginations in thick armor, immobilizing their functions so that the physical horror of this war cannot penetrate our comprehension nor our minds play upon the meaning of such universal pain, except in terms of personal family loss.

“Bomb – burn – destroy.” These are OUR words now. They are, perhaps, the most implacable declaration of all-out war that ever has been uttered by civilized man. We say the words; we mean them, nothing can swerve us from our intention to CARRY THEM OUT. Yet their meaning in terms of human life and death, has lost its power to affect us.

Wright plant is threatened with seizure

Produce airplane engines or Army will, Truman warns company

Wordy war

Allied HQ, North Africa –
Allied war correspondents sent out 2,305,429 words – equivalent to about 23 average-sized novels – on the Sicilian campaign, it was revealed today.

Left-wingers seek pact with Democrats

Men overseas love Pyle, foxhole companion says

Capt. Russell Wight who met Ernie in Africa thinks it amazing that ‘he weathers the war’

Broadcaster charges OWI persecution

Testifies at FCC hearing he was told to dismiss two announcers

Final attack on Salamaua set to start

Outer defenses of Japs’ new Guinea base smashed
By Brydon Taves, United Press staff writer

‘Wolf Scouts’ qualify under rigorous tests

Tough three-day course tries skill, common sense of soldiers

Total casualties in Navy now 28,731

Washington (UP) –
The Navy today announced additional casualties bringing to 28,731 the total casualties of the naval forces.

This includes 9,874 dead (7,758 Navy, 1,934 Marines and 192 Coast Guardsmen), 5,036 wounded (2,512 Navy, 2,501 Marines and 22 Coast Guardsmen), 9,670 missing (8,788 Navy, 724 Marines and 158 Coast Guardsmen) and 4,151 prisoners of war (2,225 Navy, 1,925 Marines and one Coast Guardsman).

Tough troops of 3rd Division march 32 miles, fight 18 hours

Gen. Truscott says ‘magnificent’ physical condition of men was largely responsible for Sicily victory
By C. R. Cunningham, United Press staff writer

Surprise!

WACs turn on soldier who tries to capture them

Pacific natives donate $194 to American Red Cross

Editorial: Mr. Petrillo’s new role

Editorial: More fun, dearie!

Edson: Many newsmen but no news at war conference

By Peter Edson