America at war! (1941--) -- Part 2

Countess indicted for FBI masquerade

Miami, Florida (UP) –
Countess Elsa von Starhemberg, now in federal custody in Los Angeles, California, was today indicted by a federal grand jury here on charges of posing as an agent of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Assistant U.S. District Attorney Ernest L. Duhaime, who described the woman as “an adventuress,” said she obtained $300 from Lawrence Dodd, Hungarian refugee, in Miami Beach last March while posing as an FBI agent.

Mr. Duhaime said she had also attempted to involve such notables as ex-King Carol of Romania and Secretary of the Interior Harold L. Ickes.

Phillips in India

New Delhi, India – (Jan. 8, delayed)
William Phillips, former U.S. Ambassador to Italy, arrived today as President Roosevelt’s personal representative in India.

Ford lab workers get wage boost

Drama critic beaten up –
Woman air-raid warden slugged while on duty

Editorial: Restore free trade

Editorial: ‘Too many federal employees’

Editorial: Free play of free minds

Two young American naval officers were recently returning from duty with a fighting Murmansk convoy resort, they decided they would take the time to write out what they had observed on the voyage. What precautions should they have taken that had been neglected? Could any untried device be employed to frustrate and beat the enemy?

The young men argued and discussed. In the end, their suggestions numbered 23. A wise captain, looking over the paper, forwarded it to Washington. The Navy Department approved 19 of the 23 suggestions, put them into effort and warded medals to the boys.

This is reassuring evidence that much-condemned “channels” are still open, and that the minds of the higher-ups are open, also. No less is there cheer in the evidence that American men, in this new and ghastly business of total war, can apply themselves to it and can learn it. If America encourages the free play of free minds, through free channels, it will not take long to make a veteran Army, a seasoned Navy.

Ferguson: Dog food

By Mrs. Walter Ferguson

Background of news –
Congress vs. President

By editorial research reports

Congress in 1943 will reassert its constitutional prerogatives against presidential dictation, according to both Republican and Democratic spokesmen.

In furtherance of the Constitution’s tripartite division of powers, the Founding Fathers provided that the President was to give a lead in legislation only by presenting to Congress an occasional review of the state of the nation and recommendations he deemed expedient.

For more than a hundred years, the President followed both the spirit and the letter of this arrangement. They left it to Congress to formulate the laws. Moreover, they seldom exerted pressure on Congress. True, in 1893, Cleveland intervened actively on Capitol Hill to get the Silver Purchase Act repealed, but he apologized by insisting that that act has taken the nation to the very brink of financial disaster. It is also that after the Civil War, Presidents began to veto legislation solely because they doubted its wisdom, whereas the earlier Presidents (Except Jackson) had used tge veto power only when they through bills unconstitutional or hasty. However, this was hardly an assumption of new prerogatives.

The present style was set by the first Roosevelt. He believed that the people expected the President to formulate and put through a legislative program – that the voters would hold him, not Congress, primarily of an administration – that Congress has become too unwieldy, too beset by partisan and geographical considerations, to lead effectively in legislation, the old practice was reversed; instead of Congress submitting laws to the President for his approval or rejection, Theodore Roosevelt presented “my policies” to Congress for their approval or rejection.

However, despite his great popularity the first Roosevelt got relatively little of his program through Congress, especially in his second term. Most of the Republican majority (in both houses) was conservative, and Senators were still elected by state legislatures. Taft received in part to the pre-Roosevelt conception of the presidency; then came Wilson.

Woodrow Wilson had much liking for the British parliamentary system. In this, major bills are prepared by the executive branch of the government and must be accepted by the legislative branch unless a change of government or a general election is to result. Wilson also believed firmly in party responsibility. He worked incessantly with the party leaders in Congress, presented legislation for the consideration and approval of the party caucuses, freely used members of his Cabinet on members of Congress with whom they had influence.

Coolidge was largely “hands-off” as to Congress; Hoover stood about halfway between Theodore Roosevelt and Coolidge. The second Roosevelt has out-Roosevelted the first. He has used all the methods which his fifth cousin used in order to get the presidential program adopted; he has adopted the Wilsonian technique of having the executive branch draft bills, consulting somewhat less freely than Wilson with the party leaders.

Body of Buzz Wagner returns to Johnstown

Well, what does rhyme with ‘just about nuttin’’?

Hollywood, California (UP) –
The Office of War Information wants accuracy, even at the price of rhythm in a popular song, band leader Tommy Dorsey said today.

Dorsey said he had changed the line “Right soon there’s gonna be no more meat, not even mutton,” in the novelty tune “No Stuff in Your Cuff” because the OWI objected.

The line was revised to “There’s gonna be not much meat, very little mutton.

The piece was played once over NBC, but it was barred both by NBC and CBS, after the OWI objected, until the lyrics were altered.

Wage policies must be upheld, WLB reiterates

Labor-management pact turned down

….

President’s pastor gets Navy chaplain commission

New York (UP) –
The Rev. Frank Ray Wilson, President Roosevelt’s pastor at Hyde Park, New York, was a lieutenant in the Chaplains’ Corps of the Navy today.

Lt. Wilson, 48, was sworn in here yesterday. He was a Signal Corps sergeant in World War I, and has a son, Frank Ray Jr., 19, in the Navy. He was rector of St. James Episcopal Church at Hyde Park.

He gave Mr. Roosevelt as a reference in his application for a commission, and Mr. Roosevelt wrote him:

Congratulations! If I were in your position, I would do the same thing.

Labor ranks shrink by million workers

Washington (UP) –
The civilian labor force declined by 1,100,000 persons in December, with a 900,000 decrease in employment and 200,000 decrease in unemployment, the Census Bureau said today.

The labor force totaled 53,400,000 in December, compared with 54,500,000 in November. Employment declined from 52,800,000 in November to 51,900,000 in December, due chiefly, the bureau reported, to seasonal decreases in agriculture. Non-agricultural employment remained at the same level of 43,000,000.

Unemployment dropped to 1,500,000, the lowest level of 1942. Census records showed a consistent decline in unemployment from a high point of 9,300,000 in July 1940. The bureau said December’s unemployment “approaches the minimum required for normal labor turnover.”

2 unidentified officers die in Army plane crashes

Omaha, Nebraska (UP) –
Seventh Service Command Headquarters said today that three Army officers had been killed in airplane accidents, two in a crash near Burlington, Iowa, and one in another mishap near Coffeyville, Kansas.

The Burlington crash involved a plane from Ellington Field, Texas, and occurred three miles west of the Iowa Ordnance Plant. The Service Command said the pilot was apparently trying for a forced landing because the ship crashed from a height of about 20 feet.

The other crash occurred a mile north of Coffeyville. The takeoff field of the plane was not learned immediately.

No information on the identity of the victims was available.

Churches criticize new taxes

Baptists, Presbyterians voice views on Victory tax

Veronica steals picture in death scene

She plays heroic nurse trapped in Bataan

Nazi attempt to run U.S. papers revealed

New York (UP) –
An audacious plan by the Nazis to assume control in 1933 of all German-language newspapers in the United States was revealed today by Victor F. Ridder, publisher of several German newspapers, when he testified for the government in denaturalization proceedings against Fritz Kuhn and 10 other German Bund members.

Mr. Ridder said a Nazi emissary came to his office in Manhattan and informed him that he had “authority to take over” all German-language newspapers.

The emissary, Heinz Spanknebel, presented letters from Ernst W. Bohle, head of the Nazi Party Foreign Division, and Dr. Robert Ley, head of the German Labor Front, Mr. Riddler said.

Spanknebel, Mr. Riddle testified, had returned here from Germany in 1933 to found the Friends of New Germany, predecessor of the Bund.

Mr. Ridder said Spanknebel told him he would no longer be permitted to publish pro-Jewish articles.

54-hour week minimum asked

Farm groups also seek price adjustments

American ship’s officers imprisoned on submarine

Six survivors tell how mates dies in Atlantic ordeal; huge waves swamp lifeboat twice in hour

Nye proposes food inquiry

Wheeler backs move to quiz Lend-Lease

Adm. Stark sees ‘long and tough’ war

Ernie Pyle V Norman

Roving Reporter

By Ernie Pyle

With U.S. forces in Algeria – (by wireless)
Of all the American troops who are about to bust a hamstring to get into battle, I suppose the Rangers are the worst.

That’s because they’re trained like racehorses, and if they can’t race every day they get to fretting.

As you know, the Rangers are American commandos. For months their training has been a violent, double-barreled curriculum of body toughening and scientific elimination of the enemy. All summer and fall in the cold waters of Scotland, they practiced until they were as indestructible as Superman and as deadly as executioners. Then they had a shot of the real business. A few went on the Dieppe raid, and all of them came to Africa.

Here they had one specific and highly dangerous job to do. And they did it so expertly that they suffered almost no casualties and spared all the Frenchmen’s lives.

Rangers want more lands to storm

Since then, the Rangers have had nothing to do. They are in camp now, running through mock landings, swimming in the Mediterranean on the coldest days, doing military police duty in a nearby town. And they are gradually going nuts waiting to get into action again.

Since the specialty of the Rangers is landing on enemy beaches and storming gun positions, I asked one of them:

Do you suppose you’ll just have to sit here until we invade another continent?

He said:

My God, I hope not! It might be too long a wait.

I have got acquainted with one Ranger officer, Capt. Manning Jacob. He called Morristown, New Jersey, home, but before the war he was an oil operator in South Texas.

Capt. Jacob took me on a cross-country walk, following a detachment of Rangers. I had to run to keep up. Finally, I couldn’t go on any longer, and had to sit down and pant. I thought to myself:

I’m ashamed of being so soft and feeble, but after all I’m past 40 and I shouldn’t be expected to keep up with guys like Jacob.

And then it turned out that this lethal athlete called Capt. Jacob is 40 years old himself. Maybe he gets more vitamins than I did.

At any rate, the Rangers are good. If somebody doesn’t think up a new shore for them to storm pretty quick, they may resort to storming Africa all over again.

It’s a small world, Ernie finds

A nurse in an old blue sweater came walking down a muddy street at an Army hospital out in the country. An Army friend with me yelled at her, and stopped and introduced me. And the nurse said:

Well, at last! I’ve been saving sugar for you for two years, but I never expected to meet you here.

I had never seen the nurse before in my life, so a little inquiring about the sugar, business was necessary. The facts in the case are as follows:

Mary Ann Sullivan is a former surgical supervisor in Boston City Hospital. She and her sister nurses were reading this column two years ago, when I was in London and complaining bitterly in the public prints about not getting enough sugar. So, it seems the nurses laughed about it and started saving sugar. Whenever a cube was left over, they would save it, and laugh and say:

This one’s for Ernie.

Then a year ago, these nurses joined a Harvard unit and set sail for England. And they carried with them that sugar especially earmarked for me. Their motive was high but it came to naught. For the Germans torpedoed their ship and my sugar went to the bottom of the Atlantic.

The nurses were eventually picked up and taken to Iceland, then to England, and finally to Africa. And here we all are, and isn’t it a small world after all even if my sugar is gone?

Mary Ann felt badly about my sugar being sunk, but she did bring out a hospitable commodity which both censorship and the ethics of war forbid me to mention. So, our meeting after two years was not without a certain rare delicacy to put in our mouths after all.

Mary Ann wants action too

Mary Ann Sullivan came ashore in Africa on the very first morning of the landings. They operated on wounded men for hours, with snipers’ bullets still pinging on the walls, which is just the kind of life Mary Ann had been waiting for.

She is so steamed up she can hardly wait for the next battle. She is now with a mobile surgical truck, which she calls the super-commando truck. It is equipped to rush into the thick of things, slam on the brakes, and operate on wounded men for 36 hours without replenishments.

I am arranging officially with General Headquarters to be wounded in Mary Ann’s vicinity.

1 Like

Clapper: Roosevelt message

By Raymond Clapper

Washington –
Not since the honeymoon 10 years ago had President Roosevelt had such favorable circumstances then and now are quite different.

Ten years ago, the country was flat on its back, confidence had been lost in all leaders, and Mr. Roosevelt stepped into the vacuum and carried the country and a huge Congressional majority with him.

This time, Mr. Roosevelt deals with a Congress that is against him all but in name – or it thinks it is. It is against the New Deal – the name and the bungling, screwball excesses, boondoggling and sloppy government that are popularly associated with the New Deal.

The Congress may not be as much against the ideas for which the New Deal label originally stood as it is against the name and the barnacles that have grown on in these years, of which there are a lot because there hasn’t been a scraping in the whole 10 years. That’s one thing Mr. Roosevelt was too soft and too busy to attend to.

Mr. Roosevelt began with this Congress by talking in a conciliatory, moderate tone. He conceded mistakes, and somehow that went over as an unexpected novelty. Mr. Roosevelt also made some time with Congress by giving as little birthday surprise party for Speaker Rayburn to which a number of Congressmen, including some Republican and Democratic hardshells, were asked. Such little friendly social occasions may become more frequent now.

Jimmy Byrnes sits with ‘the boys’

The President will also make full use of James F. Byrnes, his Director of Economic Stabilization. Jimmy, former member of the House and former Senator, was up in congress when the President delivered his message. But was Jimmy at the President’s elbow to show his old Congressional cronies how close he was to the big boos? No, sirree!

Smart Jimmy was sitting way back there with the run-of-the-mine Democrats where he used to sit as a young Congressman. He sat back with the boys, just the same old Jimmy. Hadn’t changed a bit. From Tommy Corcoran to Jimmy Byrnes – that’s the cycle of White House liaison with Congress. It tells the story of the transition from the old days of sending up “must” bills to these new days of sending up “data” for Congress to study.

About the real things for which the Roosevelt administration took up the battle in the early days – as against the outside trimmings – I don’t think Mr. Roosevelt is compromising. I don’t think they are going to be wiped out. This Congress, and the country, are fed up on a lot of things. But when Mr. Roosevelt says we must fix it so that seven or eight million soldiers and sailors come back to jobs and not to selling apples on the street corners, they are not going to turn him down. Responsibility will sober the Republicans.

Social objectives of honest government

Industrial changes bring political changes. Just as the airplane has changed military conditions so that isolation is impossible for us, so economic and industrial changes bring new policies. Industrial and agricultural capacity have been multiplied so that society cannot justify permitting men to remain idle and hungry if they want work.

After all, it is all part of the long climb of humanity up the hill. As President Roosevelt said at a press conference in 1935, the social objective of any honest government in any country is:

…to try to increase the security and the happiness of a larger number of people in all occupations; to give them more of the good things of life, to give them greater distribution not only of wealth in the narrow terms, but of wealth in the wider terms… to give them assurance that they are not going to starve in their old age; to give honest business a chance to go ahead and make a reasonable profit, and to give everyone a chance to earn a living.

Mr. Roosevelt said that, offhand, when a visiting Canadian journalist asked him what the social objective of the administration was. It is a sound objective that members of both parties can follow – and probably will follow. Sacrifices in this war make such objectives imperative after the war.

Highway to Alaska

Rich region opened by highway expects new Klondike rush
By Tom Wolf, special to the Pittsburgh Press