America at war! (1941--) -- Part 2

U.S. Navy Department (March 9, 1943)

Communiqué No. 304

North Pacific.
On March 7, U.S. heavy and medium bombers attacked Japanese posi­tions at Kiska. Anti-aircraft fire was encountered but no enemy planes inter­cepted. All U.S. planes returned.

South Pacific.
During the night of March 7‑8, Liberator heavy bombers carried out minor bombing attacks on Japanese installations at Kahili and Ballale in the Shortland Island area, and at Vila and Rekata Bay in the central Solomons. Results were not observed. All U.S. planes returned.

The Pittsburgh Press (March 9, 1943)

YANKS WIN AFRICAN AIR BATTLE
Score 19–0 in Tunisian plane crash

Rommel continues retreat from 8th Army after severe mauling
By Virgil Pinkley, United Press staff writer

Allied HQ, North Africa –
Marshal Erwin Rommel is continuing his retreat after abandoning 50 tanks to the British 8th Army, and American pilots have won a big air battle over the Mediterranean in which the Axis lost 19 planes against none lost for U.S. forces.

The pressure of the 8th Army’s veterans at mobile warfare in the desert was pushing Rommel relentlessly back toward his Mareth Line positions. Over the weekend, he sallied out and attempted to throw the forthcoming offensive of the 8th Army off balance by quick thrusts – six on Saturday alone – at their lines.

Fight 50 Axis forces

Flying Fortresses and P-38 Lightnings ran into the air battle yesterday during a sea sweep between Tunis and Tripoli. Fifty Axis planes challenged the Americans and in the brisk battle that followed, 17 enemy planes were shot down. The Axis’ total loss in the engagement rose to 19 when two of their own planes collided during the fighting and crashed.

The Allies appeared to be winning mastery of the air all along the Tunisian front. A total of 21 enemy planes were destroyed yesterday against an Allied loss of only two.

In the battle over the Mediterranean, the Flying Fortresses accounted for 10 of the enemy planes shot down and the Lightnings got seven.

Nazis repulsed in north

On the northern front, the Axis made a jab yesterday at the Allied line near Tamera, seven miles west of Sedjenane, but the assault was repulsed and as the Germans retreated, they left 200 prisoners in Allied hands.

The German-controlled Radio Vichy said Axis forces occupied Cape Serrat in the north yesterday and, continuing their advance, seized an important chain of hills which control strategic roads.

French forces, moving alone the northwestern edge of Chott el Djerid (salt lake) in south-central Tunisia, captured the town of Tozeur.

Rommel’s strategy now appeared to be to try to get his army into the high ground around Hallouf at the southwest end of the Mareth Line before he loses any more of his dwindling armor to the 8th Army.

Among the 50 tanks seized by the British were eight new Mark III types carrying 75mm guns. The other tanks were three Mark IIs, two Mark IIIs of the old type, 19 Mark III specials and 18 Mark IV specials.

U.S. REPUDIATES ENVOY’S BLAST AT REDS
Recall of Standley hinted for saying Russia hides aid

Welles displeased, says Ambassador spokes for self
By Lyle C. Wilson, United Press staff writer

War production endangered –
Secret joker in labor peace pact causing turmoil

CIO continues to raid AFL despite announcement of truce; output of Kaiser Shipyards is sharply cut
By Peter Edson

Script plan of taxation up for vote

Withholding scheme takes from 1943 payrolls to pay 1942 levy

Black market cases –
Meat dealers get jail terms

Seven New Yorkers fined total of $27,500

parry2

I DARE SAY —
Listen, Dorothy!

By Florence Fisher Parry

Listen, Dorothy, I’ve just read your book, Listen, Hans. And I owe you an apology. Before I picked it up, I was under the impression – an impression deduced from several book reviews I’d read – that it was going to be a blueprint for a peace which, if followed, would save the skins of the Germans; and that it advanced the premise that the German people were sold down the river by Hitler and really have hearts of gold; and that they ought to be delivered and be allowed to pursue their history, a strong and productive nation again, an integral segment of the new brotherhood of man.

Yes, that’s what I was all set to read. So, when I picked up Listen, Hans, I was ready to pick a quarrel with it. Trust the German people indeed, after their slavish embracing of the Nazi ideology, and their hideous obedience to its bloody program! I had as life… Oh, rather!.. entrust the future to ferocious barbarians who at least would not posses the attribute of incipient slavishness.

No people is as dangerous as a people who can be made to perform atrocities against its “better nature.” And it seems to me that in direct ratio to the German’s congenial tendency to obey his leader is his threat to the peace of the world. For forever he is a potential instrument of destruction in the hands of the first false messiah who rises to mislead him.

Prophetic words

I remembered the words of Nietzsche, himself a kind of capsule of the fanatical psychosis of the German, and his words:

…The Germans are always so badly deceived because they try to find a deceiver. If only they have a heady wine they will put up with bad bread. Intoxication means more to them than nourishment. That is the book they will always bite on. They always obey and will do more than obey, provided they can get intoxicated in the process.

I wondered: Were you, Dorothy, on the path of advocating for them a breathing spell in which to gather renewed strength for another revel of excess?

So, imagine my great relief and delight to find, upon reading your book, that you were not only quoting these very words, but supporting them by as astute a diagnosis of the German makeup as can be found in recent writing!

You have succeeded in swinging right out of the confines of shrill warning into the serene blue of quiet logic. I must confess that I never knew, before I read this book, Dorothy, what a truly concise clear concept you had of the Germany – its history and its people – which absorbed your years before the outbreak of the present war.

The first hundred pages of Listen, Hans represent the best-distilled thinking along the lines of post-war reconstruction that I have come upon, with perhaps the exception of that other most excellent blueprint for tomorrow, Norman Angell’s Let the People Know.

No answer

Dorothy, your chapter on “The Passion for Peace” is magnificent. It clarifies what is meant by “The Century of the Common Man.” It is not, as is so commonly feared… that:

Inverted snobbery that attributes creative power exclusively to hand workers and brands every wealthy man a knave… or that seeks to elevate the mediocre into an international ideal… The “common people” are not to be catalogued by social or economic class. They are all those who recognize their kinship with the commonality of mankind… The cheap concept that an industrial worker necessarily, because of the grease on his hands, belongs to that commonality of mankind was never true. Today, it is less true than ever…

Norman Angell has a chapter in his book Let the People Know called “The Unity of the Peoples.” It offers fine collateral reading to your chapter on “The Passion for Peace.” Yet magnificent as are these two chapters in these two books, neither of you, Dorothy, has been able to provide an answer to the most vexatious question that is tormenting the minds of fair men all over the world: What shall be done with Germany and the German people?

For thinking mortals know that they are inseparable, and that to destroy the one dismembers the other; yet left intact, however prostrate, they constitute forever a threat to the peace of the world.

New York State Senate curbs easy divorce

Albany, New York (UP) –
The New York State Senate today passed a bill designed to curb out-of-state divorces by New Yorkers.

The measure permits a spouse to obtain an injunction preventing divorces in other states on grounds other than those recognized in New York.

The intent of the bill is not to liberalize New York’s divorce laws but to provide protection to the wife who is left in this state whole her husband goes to some other state to obtain a divorce. The Assembly is yet to act.

Housewives cautious in ration point use

Chicago, Illinois (UP) –
Housewives spent their ration points with great caution during the first week of rationing, the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company said today after a survey of its 7,000 retail stores.

The company said buyers selected items of low points values and high food values, the system functioning with no more confusion than expected.

Items most in favor were soups, small units of canned peas and tomatoes, baby foods, catsup and chili sauce. Fresh fruits and vegetables were in good demand while items of high point values were somewhat neglected.

Kaiser urges union freeze

Disputes must cease, shipbuilder says

‘I didn’t do it,’ bureaucrats chorus on bread muddle

But many are willing to accept responsibility for ending ban

Gag on press laid to U.S.

Congressional inquiry urged by Senator

Envoy’s blast to stir debate on Lend-Lease

House, however, is expected to pass bill calling for extension

Senate means ‘no’ on manpower plea

Washington (UP) –
The Senate Appropriations Committee today refused, for the third time, to approve a request of War Manpower Commissioner Paul V. McNutt for $2,454,000 to finance expanded activities of the U.S. Employment Service.

The Senate group rejected the request despite Mr. McNutt’s contention that the agency cannot attack the manpower problem effectively without more money. The House recently rejected a similar request.

The action came when the committee approved the first deficiency appropriation bill carrying $4,107,286,166 in cash and $2,173,710,000 in contract authority, mostly for war purposes. Most of the money is for the Maritime Commission’s shipbuilding program.

Roosevelt endorses united Jewish appeal

Just a social call, Mrs. Luce is told

Editorial: Red Cross drive

Editorial: Teeth for Mr. McNutt

Ferguson: Gumption needed

By Mrs. Walter Ferguson

Simms: U.S. will take Jap-mandated Pacific Isles

America must have bases to help policing of ocean
By William Philip Simms, Scripps-Howard staff writer

Senator’s son dies

Washington –
Senator John L. McClelland (D-AR) was notified by the War Department today of the death of his son, Cpl. Max C. McClelland, 27, of Camden, Arkansas, in North Africa. Senator McClelland said he was informed that his son had died of spinal meningitis.

Ex-Senator’s son missing in Tunisia

Washington (UP) –
Capt. Clyde E. Herring, son of former Senator Clyde L. Herring (D-IA) has been missing in action on the Tunisian front since Feb. 17, the war Department disclosed today.

Former Senator Herring is now a senior administrative assistant in the Office of Price Administration here. Capt. Herring had been an infantry intelligence officer in Tunisia.

Jap survivors hunted down around Guinea

92 killed or captured as they land following convoy battle
By Don Caswell, United Press staff writer

New Guinea pilots wince at broadcasts from U.S.

Reports of Huon Gulf battle made their brilliant fight against Zeroes sound easy
By George Weller

Ban 4th term talk? Republican protests

Washington (UP) –
Mrs. Roosevelt’s assertion that fourth term talk should be outlawed for the next two years brought a protest today from Senator Rufus C. Holman (R-OR).

He asked:

What should we do? Wait to lock the door after the horse is stolen?

He offered these other proverbs which he believes fit the occasion: “Forewarned is forearmed,” “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”

Jap strength being sapped, Knox asserts

Says enemy finds it more difficult to supply Pacific bases