This week story KQV feature
By Si Steinhauser

Surprise deal –
Browns sold by Barnes to St. Louisan

U.S. State Department (August 10, 1945)

740.00119 PW/8-1045: Telegram

The Secretary of State to the Ambassador in the United Kingdom

Washington, August 10, 1945 — 3:45 p.m.

[White House No. 319.] Please deliver at once to the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs the following message. Please impress upon the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs the urgency of a reply to this message and telegraph at once his reply.

1. This Government proposes that a reply as quoted in paragraph 3 be made to the Japanese Government’s acceptance of the Potsdam proclamation.

2. In order that hostilities may be terminated and further loss of life be prevented this Government hopes that the British Government will associate itself with this Government in making an early reply as quoted in paragraph 3.

3. With regard to the Japanese Government’s message accepting the terms of the Potsdam proclamation but containing the statement “with the understanding that the said declaration does not comprise any demand which prejudices the prerogatives of His Majesty as a sovereign ruler,” our position is as follows:

“From the moment of surrender the authority of the Emperor and the Japanese Government to rule the state shall be subject to the Supreme Commander of the Allied powers who will take such steps as he deems proper to effectuate the surrender terms.

“The Emperor and the Japanese High Command will be required to sign the surrender terms necessary to carry out the provisions of the Potsdam Declaration, to issue orders to all the armed forces of Japan to cease hostilities and to surrender their arms, and to issue such other orders as the Supreme Commander may require to give effect to the surrender terms.

“Immediately upon the surrender the Japanese Government shall transport prisoners of war and civilian internees to places of safety, as directed, where they can quickly be placed aboard Allied transports.

“The ultimate form of government of Japan shall, in accordance with the Potsdam declaration, be established by the freely expressed will of the Japanese people.

“The armed forces of the Allied Powers will remain in Japan until the purposes set forth in the Potsdam declaration are achieved.”

[BYRNES]

740.00119 PW/8-1045: Telegram

The Minister in Switzerland to the Secretary of State

Bern, August 10, 1945 — 8 p.m.
[Received August 10 — 5:29 p.m.]

Following is text of communication handed to Minister Stucki 6 p.m. this afternoon by Japanese Minister.

In obedience to the gracious command of his Majesty the Emperor who, ever anxious to enhance the cause of world peace, desires earnestly to bring about a speedy termination of hostilities with a view to saving mankind from the calamities to be imposed upon them by further continuation of the war, the Japanese Government several weeks ago asked the Soviet Government, with which neutral relations then prevailed, to render good offices in restoring peace vis-à-vis the enemy powers. Unfortunately, these efforts in the interest of peace having failed, the Japanese Government in conformity with the august wish of His Majesty to restore the general peace and desiring to put an end to the untold sufferings entailed by war as quickly as possible, have decided upon the following.

The Japanese Government are ready to accept the terms enumerated in the joint declaration which was issued at Potsdam on July 26th, 1945, by the heads of the Governments of the United States, Great Britain, and China, and later subscribed by the Soviet Government, with the understanding that the said declaration does not comprise any demand which prejudices the prerogatives of His Majesty as a Sovereign Ruler.

The Japanese Government sincerely hope that this understanding is warranted and desire keenly that an explicit indication to that effect will be speedily forthcoming.

Jap Minister told Stucki that same was being transmitted through Swedish Govt to British and Soviet Govts.

Jap Minister also stated that English is sole official text.

Stucki told me text already cabled Swiss Leg, Wash, for delivery at once to you. He is giving text to Chinese Minister here for transmission to Chungking.

HARRISON

740.00119 PW/8-1145: Telegram

The Ambassador in the United Kingdom to the Secretary of State

London, August 11, 1945
[Received August 10 — 10:30 p.m.]

Reur White House Number 319. Immediately after receiving your message I met with Mister Attlee and Mister Bevin at 10 Downing Street. They asked me to forward you the following message.

We have examined your draft. While agreeing in principle we desire to make certain amendments on the ground we doubt if it is wise to ask the Emperor personally to sign the surrender terms and therefore we would suggest the following:

The Emperor shall authorise and ensure the signature by the Government of Japan and the Japanese General Headquarters of the surrender terms necessary to carry out the provisions of the Potsdam Declaration, and shall issue his commands to all the Japanese military, naval and air authorities and to all the forces under their control wherever located to cease active operations and to surrender their arms etc., as in your draft.

This is in keeping with clause 13 of the Potsdam Declaration. This we believe also will secure the immediate surrender of Japanese in all outlying areas and thereby save American, British and Allied lives.

We presume that if we are in accord on these terms we should get the agreement of Generalissimo Stalin and Generalissimo Chiang Kai-Shek.

The Prime Minister and the Foreign Secretary are standing by all night for your answer. Mr. Churchill telephoned me tonight. I feel you would be interested to know that this message is in line with his views. He believes that using the Mikado will save lives in outlying areas.

WINANT

The Ambassador in the Soviet Union to the Secretary of State

Moscow, August 11, 1945
[Received August 10 — 10:30 p.m.]
M 25259

The British Ambassador and I were with Molotov when your message White House 320 was delivered to me. Molotov was in process of inquiring what the attitude of our respective governments were to the Japanese Government’s proposal. He informed us that the Soviet attitude towards it was “sceptical” since the Soviets did not consider it unconditional surrender, and that the Soviet forces, therefore, were continuing their advance into Manchuria. As this was shortly after midnight, he emphasized that it was the third day of the Soviet campaign which would continue. He gave me the definite impression that he was quite willing to have the war continue.

Your message then arrived and it was translated to him. His reaction was noncommittal and suggested that he would give me an answer tomorrow. I told him that this would not be satisfactory and that we wished it tonight. He thereupon agreed to take it up with his Government and attempt to give me an answer tonight. If I do not hear from him in a reasonable time, I will telephone him and keep you informed of the developments.

HARRIMAN

The Ambassador in the Soviet Union to the Secretary of State

Moscow, August 11, 1945
[Received August 10 — 11:40 p.m.]
M 25260

Molotov asked the British Ambassador and me to call again. He handed us the following statement.

The Soviet Government agrees to the draft reply of the Allied Powers proposed by the United States Government to the statement of the Japanese Government concerning surrender.

The Soviet Government considers that the above-mentioned reply should be presented in the name of the principal powers waging war with Japan.

The Soviet Government also considers that, in case of an affirmative reply from the Japanese Government, the Allied Powers should reach an agreement on the candidacy or candidacies for representation of the Allied High Command to which the Japanese Emperor and the Japanese Government are to be subordinated.

On the authority of the Government of the USSR signed: V. MOLOTOV

I took a firm exception to the last paragraph and said in my opinion that my Government would never agree to it. I pointed out this was a qualification of the Soviet Government’s acceptance of our proposal and that it gave the Soviet Government veto power on the selection of the Allied High Command. In answer to my inquiry as to his meaning he finally suggested that the High Command might consist of two persons, both an American and a Soviet General, specifying Marshal Vasilevsky by name. I stated that it was unthinkable that the Supreme Commander could be other than American.

After a most heated discussion he insisted that I send his communication to my Government. I maintained, however, that in my opinion it would be unacceptable.

When I reached my office, I found Pavlov, Molotov’s secretary, on the telephone, advising me that Molotov had consulted Stalin. He said that there had been a misunderstanding and that only consultation had been intended and not the necessity of reaching an agreement. I pointed out to the secretary that I believed the words “or candidacies” would also be unacceptable and asked him to convey this message to Molotov. Within a few minutes he called back stating that Stalin had agreed to the deletion of these words. He agreed to confirm this in writing.

The last paragraph will therefore read:

The Soviet Government also considers that, in case of an affirmative reply from the Japanese Government, the Allied Powers should consult on the candidacy for representation of the Allied High Command to which the Japanese Emperor and the Japanese Government are to be subordinated.

I would appreciate advice as to whether the Soviet reply as now amended is acceptable.

[HARRIMAN]

The Syonan Shimbun (August 11, 1945)

Soviet declares war on Nippon; invades Manshukoku territory

State of war formally announced

Nippon will fight on to the very last, declares army spokesman

War aims not altered by Soviet move