America at war! (1941-1945) -- Part 6

CBS to begin broadcasts in color television soon

By the Associated Press

The Columbia Broadcasting System expects to begin actual broadcasting of a new system of color television in New York before the end of the year.

Dr. Peter C. Goldmark, CBS director of engineering research and developments, said yesterday in a broadcast talk that the new transmitter will be installed in the spire of the Chrysler Building.

The new ultra-high frequency color television system, Dr. Goldmark declared, also will provide black-and-white pictures “with more than twice as much picture detail as compared with the pre-war system.”

The scientist explained that while CBS does not manufacture commercial television receiving equipment, for use by the public, it has developed two types of receivers in its laboratories for the benefit of manufacturers.

Tokyo to bar jazz, will rebuild theaters

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) – Japan will welcome American occupation forces – but American jazz is a bit too much.

Despite its popularity in pre-war Japan, it will henceforth be supplanted by the music of “wholesome” bands, Domei News Agency said today in a dispatch quoting the newspaper Yomiuri Hochi.

Still, “working people must laugh,” Domei’s broadcast acknowledged – so Tokyo metropolitan police are doing their best to rebuild and reopen movie theaters. Many were destroyed by American bombs.

U.S. seeks 1,000 jobs for women facing layoff

Civil Service agents at Navy Yard hope to find new places

25 million war victims to get American clothes

Phi Beta Kappa winner plays role of Mary in passion play

By Thomas R. Henry, Star staff correspondent

Oklahoma! ticket requests close box office for week

By Jay Carmody

The Pittsburgh Press (August 27, 1945)

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

My, I’m afraid the post-war future of us human beings won’t be half as exciting as that of chickens. Last week, I read that atomic energy would make chickens lay eggs faster. Now, today, I read that clothes can be made out of chicken feathers. The soft part of the feather is used and George has already made a tiny joke about a “down” payment.

Ladies, now we’ll be able to buy suits in hen, spring chicken and bantam sizes with colors from Plymouth Rock to Rhode Island Red. They say the new material will be softer than wool. Goodness knows that I’ll do with my old woolens. Probably the only fair thing is to make little overalls out of them for chickens who might catch their death of cold without feathers. Anyway, now I know why a chicken crosses the road. It’s to get away from all these post-war plans.

The Syonan Shimbun (August 28, 1945)

Mankind must be spared repetition of horrors experienced by Nippon

Thought-provoking Times editorial comment

Nippon War Minister broadcasts to Army

Chungking measures to take over controlled areas

New Sino-Russian treaty terms

Editorial: Be thankful

Obedience resolution

TOKYO (Domei, Aug. 26) – A resolution calling for national efforts for strict observation of Imperial instructions regarding the national structure and construction of a new Japan, will be introduced in the forthcoming 88th extraordinary session of the Imperial Diet, it was learned in well-informed quarters here today. The Diet session will last for two days September 2 and 3.

Nippon fast settling down to normal peace conditions

Salzburger Nachrichten (August 28, 1945)

1.000 Trägerflugzeuge über der Tokio-Bucht

Die Kapitulationsverhandlungen in Rangoon abgeschlossen

Das Abkommen zwischen der Sowjetunion und China

Die Besetzungsdauer Deutschlands

Amerikanische Literatur der Gegenwart

L’Aube (August 28, 1945)

Entente de principe avec De Gaulle

Mais l’Amérique attendra le résultat des élections françaises pour aller plus loin dans la voie des accords
De notre correspondent spécial Fernand Decoster

Sur l’itinéraire des triomphateurs –
Deux millions de personnes acclament De Gaulle à New-York

La flotte de débarquement dans les eaux japonaises